Fiat stop start

barge1914

Has anyone figured how to turn off stop-start on Fiats new auto transmission vans?

I don’t have a Fiat with stop/start but it’s on my autoDSG VW and my question would be why do you want to turn it off? I don’t find it too intrusive in general.

I can’t help with a Fiat but on my Duster I have to turn it off manually before every trip. I find it another useless gimmick that we don’t need.

You may have to get it onto fiat diagnostics and get it disabled ( deactivate)
have you checked your manual that it’s not got a disable pissition?

You have to switch it of with the button on the dash each time you start the engine. From what I am seeing online you cannot do this permanently.

If it were mine it would be getting a rewire ,starters and rings esp are a big job when they wear out,VW tried this back in the seventies,and because of starter rings wearing out and folk keeping well clear on new sales it was dropped.
Just more cr-p in vans/cars we dont require like sat naves heated seats,auto dip h lamps and the loads of warning lights,yes and you are paying for it.

The issue of starter motor life is something that has always concerned me regarding stop/start.

If I had such a vehicle I would wish to disable it permanently if possible, or disable it each time if necessary.

Why build in a future repair bill?

The issue of starter motor life is something that has always concerned me regarding stop/start.

If I had such a vehicle I would wish to disable it permanently if possible, or disable it each time if necessary.

Why build in a future repair bill?

I have been driving vehicles with start stop for 6 years now.
Like yourself I was concerned but left it on and have never had a problem.
But more importantly my neighbour is a merc mechanic, and he has never seen a car with stop start requiring a repair to the starter motor.

If it were mine it would be getting a rewire ,starters and rings esp are a big job when they wear out,VW tried this back in the seventies,and because of starter rings wearing out and folk keeping well clear on new sales it was dropped.
Just more cr-p in vans/cars we dont require like sat naves heated seats,auto dip h lamps and the loads of warning lights,yes and you are paying for it.

You missed out the leather steering wheel Trev. :)
Yes possibly 1970s tech was not up to the mark.

I have been driving vehicles with start stop for 6 years now.
Like yourself I was concerned but left it on and have never had a problem.
But more importantly my neighbour is a merc mechanic, and he has never seen a car with stop start requiring a repair to the starter motor.
Its the flywheel ring gear that gets worn which requires a box of job,common fault with seventies v dubs.
The other thing is in extremley stop start towns it switches of once the battery gets down a we bit ,so why bother at all as it uses more energy to recharge the battery which in turn burns even more fuel ,all nonsense .

Its the flywheel ring gear that gets worn which requires a box of job,common fault with seventies v dubs.
The other thing is in extremley stop start towns it switches of once the battery gets down a we bit ,so why bother at all as it uses more energy to recharge the battery which in turn burns even more fuel ,all nonsense .
70s v dubs had inertia starters that used to chew the teeth off the flywheel rim. All modern engines have pre-engaged starters that are put into mesh before the starter turns, so the don't damage the teeth

Because we don’t travel far each day, so every minute of battery charging is valuable.
In the best of days, an alternator typically had an output of 65 to 90A. Modern cars have smart alternators with outputs approaching 300A. They're designed to cope easily.

70s v dubs had inertia starters that used to chew the teeth off the flywheel rim. All modern engines have pre-engaged starters that are put into mesh before the starter turns, so the don't damage the teeth
I know that,i do try and keep up with fashion.

Got a button on my Fiat car, but none on the Ducato.

I read this on another forum.
But as you know it only kicks in when the vehicle reaches a certain state, and normally this does not happen in short journeys. But I would have thought you would be able to turn it off.

I am just wondering whether under the new testing rules they might no longer be allowed to provide disabling of systems that were part of getting the Euro 6 classification? They now seem to have to leave the smart alternator function active so perhaps stop start is the same? Too many manufacturers were cheating the earlier tests.

I didn’t like stop start when I first came across it but soon got used to it.

I am just wondering whether under the new testing rules they might no longer be allowed to provide disabling of systems that were part of getting the Euro 6 classification? They now seem to have to leave the smart alternator function active so perhaps stop start is the same? Too many manufacturers were cheating the earlier tests.

I didn’t like stop start when I first came across it but soon got used to it.
Fiat got euro 6 without it, or adblue

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back