Engine management light

campervanannie

New to me motorhome 2004 Rapido on a fiat 2.8 base when going up hill and overstretching the gears slightly 2,500 + revs a red light comes on in 3rd 4th and 5th any ideas does not do it on the flat or downhill.

lamp-web.jpg
Looks like this as soon as I change gear it goes off or in fifth I lift my foot slightly off the accelerator it goes off

That is the main MIL ( Malfunction Indicator Lamp )

Yellow lights are advisory and Red light are serious, it needs putting on a diagnostic ASAP.

It's still under the 6 months guarantee so I am taking it back to where I bought it and we will see what they say I just need an idea so I am not fobbed off.

Get it to a Fiat dealer asap. Do not waste time and money with Joe bloggs with so called code reader. Could be something as simple as fuel starvation due to filter needing changed but also could be turbo issue. It is important to use a dealer it saves money in the long run. If under warranty the seller will foot the bill.

Get it to a Fiat dealer asap. Do not waste time and money with Joe bloggs with so called code reader. Could be something as simple as fuel starvation due to filter needing changed but also could be turbo issue. It is important to use a dealer it saves money in the long run. If under warranty the seller will foot the bill.

Booked into the Fiat Dealer in Keighley WYorks Wednesday
Cheers Annie.

Ebay. Mine looks like item no 272291491645

They work with all vehicles that have the OBDII socket.
The EU* required all vehicles to be fitted with them to end the rip-off of bespoke diagnostic systems on each make. The rules took effect around 2000 so anything made after then should be fine. Many earlier vehicles will be too.
*I'm hoping that ****** won't put an end to that as well!

Whilst they are useful and do work on modern vehicles their functionality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer in particular with regards to airbag warnings. That said mine used with the 'Torque' app on my phone has got myself out of the brown stuff on several occasions on different vehicles, well worth the tenner or so.

Get it back to the dealer asap it could be anything from a failing sensor low ,oil pressure ,blocked cat ,the list goes on .or call out your breakdown recovery .AA, RAC ,carry high tech diagnostics .the best people to diagnose the problem is a main dealer

Last edited:
Ebay. Mine looks like item no 272291491645

They work with all vehicles that have the OBDII socket.
The EU* required all vehicles to be fitted with them to end the rip-off of bespoke diagnostic systems on each make. The rules took effect around 2000 so anything made after then should be fine. Many earlier vehicles will be too.
*I'm hoping that ****** won't put an end to that as well!

I wish that was true. Unfortunately they don't!
Mine will read my wife's Nissan Micra, no problem, but NOT the Nissan engine in our 2005 Renault based motorhome. It has an OBDII socket, but the cheap reader doesn't read it!

I wish that was true. Unfortunately they don't!
Mine will read my wife's Nissan Micra, no problem, but NOT the Nissan engine in our 2005 Renault based motorhome. It has an OBDII socket, but the cheap reader doesn't read it!
My experience too. false signals , and the dreaded generic codes ( could be anything) do seem to overcomplicate matters,

For our West Yorks members for Fiat Ducato issues these lads I found very good based in Leeds

http://www.turinmotors.co.uk/

Channa

Whilst they are useful and do work on modern vehicles their functionality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer in particular with regards to airbag warnings. That said mine used with the 'Torque' app on my phone has got myself out of the brown stuff on several occasions on different vehicles, well worth the tenner or so.

It can be more faff to get sorted and you need a laptop but the free version of multiecuscan is very good. Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

I've used it on my Alfa for many years (that regularly throws fault codes) but it us used much less often on the motorhome :)

Keith

It can be more faff to get sorted and you need a laptop but the free version of multiecuscan is very good. Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

I've used it on my Alfa for many years (that regularly throws fault codes) but it us used much less often on the motorhome :)

Keith

That is what I use, I carry the set of cables and a netbook with multicuscan on it in the van at all times, it has proven useful to help others as well as myself

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back