Driving licence at 70?

My 70th is 19.4.24 my notification from DVLA arrived yesterday.
Stating my current lience will run out 18 .4 .24.
I won't be allowed to drive until I receive new lience
I drive a 2005 2 .2 citreon relay wild axe converted 2 birth camper.
I will have to check if I am still allowed to drive it .
What will be the max gross weight I am entitled to drive.
On new 70 yrs old standard Lience .
Section 88 allows you to drive whilst the DVLA is processing your renewal application but only if the DVLA has received your correct and complete application. It is important you have proof that they have received and signed for the application.
I use Guaranteed next day delivery.

Section 88 allows you to drive whilst the DVLA is processing your renewal application but only if the DVLA has received your correct and complete application. It is important you have proof that they have received and signed for the application.
I use Guaranteed next day delivery.
If not renewing the C1 entitlement (as implied in the original post), it's probably quicker and simpler to renew online (as I did).

Today I sent it off with Recorded and Signed for next day delivery.
I checked the vin plate it reads as follows
3.500 kg
5.500 kg
1-)1850kg
2-)2120kg.
AX 1.20.

IT HAS driver and passenger front seats .
Rail bed frame, fridge, cooker ,toilet compartment a few small cupboards.
Under slung GAS Tank and 75 ltr water tank .
I removed the roll out sun shade some time ago.
There is only me and the dog so travel light a few tins of beans ect.
I can remove a bit of excess junk.
Am I correct in thinking that I need to keep weight max at 3 500 kg..

Today I sent it off with Recorded and Signed for next day delivery.
I checked the vin plate it reads as follows
3.500 kg
5.500 kg
1-)1850kg
2-)2120kg.
AX 1.20.

IT HAS driver and passenger front seats .
Rail bed frame, fridge, cooker ,toilet compartment a few small cupboards.
Under slung GAS Tank and 75 ltr water tank .
I removed the roll out sun shade some time ago.
There is only me and the dog so travel light a few tins of beans ect.
I can remove a bit of excess junk.
Am I correct in thinking that I need to keep weight max at 3 500 kg..
Also check the V5C, because that needs to be Revenue Weight no more than 3500 kg gross.

I used D4Drivers but also had to go to specsavers so now have to use glasses for driving over 3.5 tonnes. Only took a week to come back. No medical issues but some might disagree 😂
You will get your license renewal form through the post about 3 months before your 70th the D4&D2 you can get from a post office.

Presumably for any other vehicle too.

Seems a strange directive to tell you that you need glasses for a certain type of vehicle?

Presumably for any other vehicle too.

Seems a strange directive to tell you that you need glasses for a certain type of vehicle?
Probably needed for all driving, just picked up because C1 makes you have a medical report but basic licence is self certified.

I applied for mine last June as 70th was in July. I am still waiting for my licence back. I cannot find any link on DVLA website that gives me a way of contacting them. I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the application that there is 12 months grace to allow for processing. What happens after 12 months if DVLA have not done their job.

I applied for mine last June as 70th was in July. I am still waiting for my licence back. I cannot find any link on DVLA website that gives me a way of contacting them. I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the application that there is 12 months grace to allow for processing. What happens after 12 months if DVLA have not done their job.
Have you got proof they received your application? Section 88 is only good for 12 months and you need evidence that they have received the application. Have the DVLA been in touch with you?

You can check your licence entitlement here.

Probably needed for all driving, just picked up because C1 makes you have a medical report but basic licence is self certified.

I have to wear glasses for reading and distance as well. I feel fine and able driving without them but I asked my optician if I needed to. He replied that if he was in a car with me he would rather that I was wearing them.

I would imagine that in the case of an accident it would go against me if I wasn't wearing my glasses whilst driving but I'm not sure. A couple of years ago I took my motorcycle test part of which is an eyesight test (read a vehicle registration at 25 yards) I passed this without my bins on.

It all seems to be a bit of a grey area as I have never been officially deemed unfit to drive without them. Maybe the very fact that you have to wear glasses means that you need them by law.

Just done mine online as my birthday is 1st May. I didn't want to retain c1, so very straightforward, especially as I haven't had a photo licence before, still got the green paper one. It picks up the photo from my passport so no need for another one, and I should get the new licence within 2 weeks.

I have to wear glasses for reading and distance as well. I feel fine and able driving without them but I asked my optician if I needed to. He replied that if he was in a car with me he would rather that I was wearing them.

I would imagine that in the case of an accident it would go against me if I wasn't wearing my glasses whilst driving but I'm not sure. A couple of years ago I took my motorcycle test part of which is an eyesight test (read a vehicle registration at 25 yards) I passed this without my bins on.

It all seems to be a bit of a grey area as I have never been officially deemed unfit to drive without them. Maybe the very fact that you have to wear glasses means that you need them by law.
Just checked my driving licence online and all my categories show the same Restrictiion Code, 01 Eyesight Correction. Basically I am only licensed if I am wearing my glasses.

Just checked my driving licence online and all my categories show the same Restrictiion Code, 01 Eyesight Correction. Basically I am only licensed if I am wearing my glasses.

I just read somewhere that you do not have to legally declare the fact that you need prescription glasses to the DVLA but you can do so voluntarily in which case a code 01 is added. Was this the case with you - did you declare it?

I just read somewhere that you do not have to legally declare the fact that you need prescription glasses to the DVLA but you can do so voluntarily in which case a code 01 is added. Was this the case with you - did you declare it?
No idea when it first went on my licence but it is there now. Not possible to keep a C1 without your eyesight being tested so I guess it is inevitable.

Just had a look at the Gov website and it says: “You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’”. So if you need glasses to read a number plate at 20m you must wear them whether or not you have a restriction on your licence. For car and motorcycle licences you don’t have to tell the DVLA about short and long sightedness but you do have to report reduced visual acuity. The rules for lorry and bus driving (C1) are stricter.

No idea when it first went on my licence but it is there now. Not possible to keep a C1 without your eyesight being tested so I guess it is inevitable.

Just had a look at the Gov website and it says: “You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’”. So if you need glasses to read a number plate at 20m you must wear them whether or not you have a restriction on your licence. For car and motorcycle licences you don’t have to tell the DVLA about short and long sightedness but you do have to report reduced visual acuity. The rules for lorry and bus driving (C1) are stricter.

Thanks.

Although I can meet the standards of vision I wear glasses for driving anyway so it's not really a problem for me. I bet there are many that don't though.

I am some 9 months away and I know some sort of action is needed but despite putting the title in the search I got a bunch of TV discussions and alcohol levels. So what do I need to do please?

B2
As i recall, we both just remewed in the normal way but the new licence was only for three years.
The anti-old people fraternity have been agitating to get us all off the road - maybe we drive at a sensible lower speed than them - and new i read that the DVLA are looking into more difficult eye tests. Bound to be a cockup just like when they changed and rechanged the rules on what is and what is not a motorhome, and therefore could be regisrered as a motorhome. ( No such thing as a campervan in official speak)

Be aware It took the DVLA 2 months to register my C1 entitlement, and that was with a clean medical.
It took 3 months to get mine sorted as they had to contact my GP, my husbands took 5 months. You will need to have a medical and to see an optician for a test (not the usual full test). You need to ensure you have the form for D1/C1 which is for HGV but don't let that worry you, you just fill in the bits applicable to you, unless you want to relinquish your C1/D1 rights. If so you can do it on line.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back