Driving licence at 70?

Just to add re online application, as I said in my last post I don't need C1 so I went online last Thursday - received the licence today (Monday). Can't complain at that service. It not only picks up the photo from the passport, but also the signature.

Presumably for any other vehicle too.

Seems a strange directive to tell you that you need glasses for a certain type of vehicle?
I think you are right
the code on the reverse of the licence will be on every group .
from memory it's the 01 code.

Presumably for any other vehicle too.

Seems a strange directive to tell you that you need glasses for a certain type of vehicle?
You could be right Rob .
Not actually seen the license yet so that could be the case .
Hopefully get it this weekend.

You could be right Rob .
Not actually seen the license yet so that could be the case .
Hopefully get it this weekend.
It is very easy to check your licence online. The web site updates immediately the licence turning up is another matter.

It is very easy to check your licence online. The web site updates immediately the licence turning up is another matter.
I know my license has arrived it’s just in a different part of the country 😂

I applied for mine last June as 70th was in July. I am still waiting for my licence back. I cannot find any link on DVLA website that gives me a way of contacting them. I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the application that there is 12 months grace to allow for processing. What happens after 12 months if DVLA have not done their job.
Coincidentally, I received mine back after posting on here. Is someone at DVLA watching????

As i recall, we both just remewed in the normal way but the new licence was only for three years.
After 70, your licence lasts 3 years. That's the rule. I remember when a provisional lasted 6 months and a full licence lasted 4 years. Then DVLA got a centralised computer system that failed to cope with the volume of licence renewals, so they all lasted until 70.

The anti-old people fraternity have been agitating to get us all off the road - maybe we drive at a sensible lower speed than them

I think it's more related to having a more mature attitude to time management, less time pressure after retirement that causes slower driving.

I suspect that's not the reason that over 70s are safer drivers than under 25s, though: it's more down to experience.

Section 88 allows you to drive whilst the DVLA is processing your renewal application but only if the DVLA has received your correct and complete application. It is important you have proof that they have received and signed for the application.
I use Guaranteed next day delivery.
Got my licence back last Monday.
Checked for full motorcycle still there .
It is.👍
C1 removed as expected.

I'm not sure if this has been posted but everyone when reaching 70 years of age has to renew their licence every 3 years,
So at 73,76 or the expiry date for the group you require.
You can do this with a car licence on line unless you need lgv or C1 and a few other categories. Then you need the medical form which they should send 90 days before the expiry.

I used D4Drivers but also had to go to specsavers so now have to use glasses for driving over 3.5 tonnes. Only took a week to come back. No medical issues but some might disagree 😂
You will get your license renewal form through the post about 3 months before your 70th the D4&D2 you can get from a post office.
Unless you are the odd one like myhusband, 70 in November but license not due for renewal till August 2024! All checked with DVLA who assure us , in writing, that this is fine! Appt he will get renewal form in May...

Unless you are the odd one like myhusband, 70 in November but license not due for renewal till August 2024! All checked with DVLA who assure us , in writing, that this is fine! Appt he will get renewal form in May...
Interesting. Does his license include C1 and have you checked the online details match the ones on the plastic card.

I will be 76 in April but my licence doesn't expire until 5th May. I haven't had my renewal form through yet. So far I have had 2 medicals to renew my C1 licence without any problem despite a few health issues. My wife isn't keen on me renewing again as she doesn't like me driving my ex-army 5.3t truck converted into a camper but I will apply to renew again.

No doesn't have C1 and all details match. Had two emails on separate occasions from DVLA confirming it was correct (not sure if I believed first time!) Can't think why, except that he has his license taken for twelve months for medical condition a few years ago and August was when new one started? Probably an error but they have stated ok so he has an extra nine months before he has to renew.

I applied for mine last June as 70th was in July. I am still waiting for my licence back. I cannot find any link on DVLA website that gives me a way of contacting them. I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the application that there is 12 months grace to allow for processing. What happens after 12 months if DVLA have not done their job.

I applied for my renewal 3 months before birthday. First copies of forms lost. 2nd copies recorded delivery were "misplaced".

Simple process designed to fail. Reception take delivery but not sign as too many. Post goes to mail room who file until time to scan, medical team read - review and report.

You can only contact reception. Upto 50 minutes wait. They pass to medical team who take months. Neither Reception nor medical team allow contact with mail / scan team. After a further 6 months (so 9 in all) I contacted CEO of DVLA julie.lennard@dvla.gov.uk after a week no record of my documents. Lucky I had recorded delivery number. Date time delivery but not found so another email to julie lennard advised send again. My suggestion I scan and email. Which was agreed BUT mail team only use "hard copies" and need to scan. So DVLA had scanned/ emailed copies, printed by high level complaints, internal post to mail team to scan into their system. I rang over 15 times. Every time they said section 88 "can continue to drive if think still capable"

My advice if you renew with HGV, etc recorded delivery keep copies and if you want email julie.lennard@dvla.gov.uk

So for towing a TOAD, C1E is needed. Does this come as standard when you apply?

Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined maximum authorised mass (MAM) of both cannot exceed 12,000kg

No doesn't have C1 and all details match. Had two emails on separate occasions from DVLA confirming it was correct (not sure if I believed first time!) Can't think why, except that he has his license taken for twelve months for medical condition a few years ago and August was when new one started? Probably an error but they have stated ok so he has an extra nine months before he has to renew.
Would that have been a three year licnce that was returned?

So for towing a TOAD, C1E is needed. Does this come as standard when you apply?

Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined maximum authorised mass (MAM) of both cannot exceed 12,000kg
If your motorhome is less than 3500kg you can tow a TOAD on a BE license. C1E is only needed for a towing a TOAD if the towing vehicle (motorhome) is over 3500kg.

If your motorhome is less than 3500kg you can tow a TOAD on a BE license. C1E is only needed for a towing a TOAD if the towing vehicle (motorhome) is over 3500kg.
Yes it's 4 tonne + TOAD so C1E required.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back