Driving licence at 70?

Borders2

I am some 9 months away and I know some sort of action is needed but despite putting the title in the search I got a bunch of TV discussions and alcohol levels. So what do I need to do please?

B2

Very good information there Kev.

If you want to retain your 7.5 tonne 'Grandad rights' you need to obtain a D4 form and undergo a simple medical and questionnaire.

Cheers

H
Every now and then I’m useful H, don’t hold your breath mind, I gave up my HGV licence last year just so I couldn’t drive my mates race trailer to Lemans 😁

They do make it a bit confusing.

1706437684555.png

For your medical you could consider using:

Your GP may be able to do it for you but it will be expensive.

Bear in mind that if you have any pre-existing medical conditions the process can be slow especially if DVLA require additional medical tests.

The earliest you can apply is three months before your licence expires. If you have any foreign trips in mind you will not be able to drive without your renewed licence. You will be able to drive in the UK whilst the renewal is being processed.

I used D4Drivers, much quicker to get an appointment with them than with my GP and they only charge £55. Plus the doctors there do them all the time so less chance of them messing up the paperwork.

I used our GP because of the requirement to travel to do D4Drivers appointment.

Cost was £80.

Cheers

H

Be aware It took the DVLA 2 months to register my C1 entitlement, and that was with a clean medical.
Got my C1 back last week, it took 7 weeks but that included Christmas and New Year. I have plenty of medical issues including sleep apnoea and a recents heart attack. I got my GP to do the medical because they were unlikely to approve it without referring to her anyway.

We still have our own dvla in N. Ireland. I had a medical in early December with my GP and was very surprised and pleased when he only asked for £20 for completing the form.
As the med was clear, it only took about 3 weeks for my 70+ C1 licence to be issued.
Pretty happy considering some of the costs and delays suffered by some in GB.

Davy

I used D4Drivers but also had to go to specsavers so now have to use glasses for driving over 3.5 tonnes. Only took a week to come back. No medical issues but some might disagree 😂
You will get your license renewal form through the post about 3 months before your 70th the D4&D2 you can get from a post office.

I didn’t bother to apply, couldn’t face the uncertainty, heard stories on here, one guy missed a booked ferry ‘cos his licence hadn’t come through.

Passed my test in the army in a 9 ton Bedford, drove tank transporters & missile launchers. I was licensed to drive anything on the planet.

But now I’m not allowed to drive a m/ho of 850kg…….But I can legally jump on a 1200cc superbike & kill myself & others !
DAFT!!

My 70th is 19.4.24 my notification from DVLA arrived yesterday.
Stating my current lience will run out 18 .4 .24.
I won't be allowed to drive until I receive new lience
I drive a 2005 2 .2 citreon relay wild axe converted 2 birth camper.
I will have to check if I am still allowed to drive it .
What will be the max gross weight I am entitled to drive.
On new 70 yrs old standard Lience .

My 70th is 19.4.24 my notification from DVLA arrived yesterday.
Stating my current lience will run out 18 .4 .24.
I won't be allowed to drive until I receive new lience
I drive a 2005 2 .2 citreon relay wild axe converted 2 birth camper.
I will have to check if I am still allowed to drive it .
What will be the max gross weight I am entitled to drive.
On new 70 yrs old standard Lience .
You can continue to drive in the UK even if your renewed licence is not received by the old licence's expiry date.

Without retaining the C1 category you can drive up to 3500Kg gross vehicle weight.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back