Drink driving in Scotland

Fisherman

Was chatting to a police officer last night who works in traffic.
He informed me that a lot of non Scot’s are being prosecuted in Scotland.
Most being unaware, or who have forgotten about our lower drink driving limits.
I think it’s worth highlighting that the limit in Scotland is much lower than in England and Wales. So if heading up here just be aware of this.
From memory it’s 80 in England and Wales, but only 50 up here.
I think the whole of Ireland now has the lower limit, not just the republic.
Also worth noting.

Don't drink before driving. Scotland's drink drive limit was reduced from 80mg to 50mg in December 2014 and is now the same as many other European countries. The drink drive limit in Scotland is 50mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.

Last edited:
I carry an electronic breathalyser in the van so I can test myself in the morning. I won't drive until it reads zero. The one I use was tested against the police version and it is very accurate.

I have been known to still fail on it well into the afternoon after a heavy day before and although feeling fine it's obviously still in the system.

So if your caught over the limit for Scotland in Scotland but under the limit for England and get banned does the ban just apply to Scotland? I'm guessing not but it should really.

Not that I condone drinking and driving of course but I think there needs to be a reasonable allowance for the night before. I never tend to ride or drive after a drink until around 4pm the next day just to be sure.

I carry an electronic breathalyser in the van so I can test myself in the morning. I won't drive until it reads zero. The one I use was tested against the police version and it is very accurate.

I have been known to still fail on it well into the afternoon after a heavy day before and although feeling fine it's obviously still in the system.

I can remember going to a long weekend party at some posh place by Ullswater about ten years ago and someone had one of them. The day we were all due to leave most people blew positive. It was 2:30pm before I passed it.

So if your caught over the limit for Scotland in Scotland but under the limit for England and get banned does the ban just apply to Scotland? I'm guessing not but it should really.

Not that I condone drinking and driving of course but I think there needs to be a reasonable allowance for the night before. I never tend to ride or drive after a drink until around 4pm the next day just to be sure.
You lose your driving licence Barry, for at least a year.
Makes no difference where you were driving.
Also you may not be allowed access to the EU and the US for five years.
Particularly when the EU introduces ETIAS next year.
Even if you don’t intend to drive there of the US.
Normally this only applies to the length of your driving ban.
But you would have to apply for a visa.

Last edited:

You must have to wait two or three days after one of your sessions Rob, also is your readings not of the scale :ROFLMAO: 🍺🍻🍾🍷

Seriously Rob, does your gizmo give actual readings. If not it won’t work up here.

Last edited:
I don't condone drink driving at all, but maybe it should be reversed as this study shows it has made no difference to road accidents. If something doesn't give you the results you wanted or expected then why carry on with it. All it is achieving is for more people to lose their licence.

University of Bath Study

Abstract​

Reducing drink drive limits is generally regarded an effective strategy to save lives on the road. Using several new administrative data sources, we evaluate the effect of a stricter limit introduced in Scotland in 2014. This reduction had no effect on drink driving and road collisions. Estimates from a supply-of-offenses function suggests that the reform did not have much ex-ante scope for sizeable effects. The unavailability of cheaper alternative means of transportation and weak law enforcement seem to have been the main channels behind the lack of an impact. We find no externality on a wide range of domains, from alcohol consumption to criminal activities other than drink driving.

You must have to wait two or three days after one of your sessions Rob, also is your readings not of the scale :ROFLMAO: 🍺🍻🍾🍷

Seriously Rob, does your gizmo give actual readings. If not it won’t work up here.

I was chatting with a traffic cop once Bill and I asked him how long it would take to get the alcohol out of your system if you had a full blown all day session including a skin full of beer and hitting the top shelf later on.

He told me that if you did that on a Saturday it's quite possible that you would fail a breathalyser the following Wednesday!

I don't know where he got that from but subsequent results from my own machine prove that to not be the case. (I'm glad to say!)

I was chatting with a traffic cop once Bill and I asked him how long it would take to get the alcohol out of your system if you had a full blown all day session including a skin full of beer and hitting the top shelf later on.

He told me that if you did that on a Saturday it's quite possible that you would fail a breathalyser the following Wednesday!

I don't know where he got that from but subsequent results from my own machine prove that to not be the case. (I'm glad to say!)
Police talking sheeite .
Who'd have thought

I don't condone drink driving at all, but maybe it should be reversed as this study shows it has made no difference to road accidents. If something doesn't give you the results you wanted or expected then why carry on with it. All it is achieving is for more people to lose their licence.

University of Bath Study

Abstract​

Reducing drink drive limits is generally regarded an effective strategy to save lives on the road. Using several new administrative data sources, we evaluate the effect of a stricter limit introduced in Scotland in 2014. This reduction had no effect on drink driving and road collisions. Estimates from a supply-of-offenses function suggests that the reform did not have much ex-ante scope for sizeable effects. The unavailability of cheaper alternative means of transportation and weak law enforcement seem to have been the main channels behind the lack of an impact. We find no externality on a wide range of domains, from alcohol consumption to criminal activities other than drink driving.

Agree. They should be the same across the UK. 0.8 or whatever it is in England. This is just going to catch people out who are not pissed or maybe only had one drink or from the night before. It's crazy they are different

Agree. They should be the same across the UK. 0.8 or whatever it is in England. This is just going to catch people out who are not pissed or maybe only had one drink or from the night before. It's crazy they are different
hence why I posted. ;)

Was chatting to a police officer last night who works in traffic.
He informed me that a lot of non Scot’s are being prosecuted in Scotland.
Most being unaware, or who have forgotten about our lower drink driving limits.
I think it’s worth highlighting that the limit in Scotland is much lower than in England and Wales. So if heading up here just be aware of this.
From memory it’s 80 in England and Wales, but only 50 up here.
I think the whole of Ireland now has the lower limit, not just the republic.
Also worth noting.

Don't drink before driving. Scotland's drink drive limit was reduced from 80mg to 50mg in December 2014 and is now the same as many other European countries. The drink drive limit in Scotland is 50mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.
Much lower in N ireland
drink drive.jpg

Is your breathalyser the one to see if you need to top up or not ? 🤔

Agree. They should be the same across the UK. 0.8 or whatever it is in Scotland . This is just going to catch people out who are not pissed or maybe only had one drink or from the night before. It's crazy they are different
Fixed that for you Barry

Not really as you would be over the limit in the country you are in 😂😂

I’m a ‘non drinker’ as I really don’t like the mood swings it causes but on occasion ,to be sociable I will maybe have a glass of wine and after just one I know my driving/speech/etc is impaired, but, would I fail a test?. My reasoning is that a regular drinker who is over the limit is probably safer than I am after one glass of wine,am I correct or would I fail too?

I’m a ‘non drinker’ as I really don’t like the mood swings it causes but on occasion ,to be sociable I will maybe have a glass of wine and after just one I know my driving/speech/etc is impaired, but, would I fail a test?. My reasoning is that a regular drinker who is over the limit is probably safer than I am after one glass of wine,am I correct or would I fail too?
Many years ago policeman in Glasgow (CID) used the defence that as he had to drink whilst on duty when undercover etc he had a greater tolerance when drinking .
Not guilty amazingly (perhaps not)

I don't know, but I'd guess you are right.

Haven't really drunk much since last operation in August, I now get proper gobby after just 2 pints, some say I'm always gobby though :ROFLMAO: Trouble is I'm a gulper and 2 pints don't last long :LOL:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back