Cyclist stickers compulsory for vehicle going to France.

Yes, fog lamps are a legal requirement on vehicles in France. Vehicle construction and use regulations, though broadly similar throughout the world, do have some differences. For example, in France, trailers and caravans over 500kg PTAC ( MAM) have to have their own registration number and registration document ( Carte Gris). Motorcycles don’t need a CT( mot) and M1 class vehicles need a CT test ( mot) after 4 years, then every two years.
14 year olds and anyone else can drive specially designed small cars after a few hours training and without a driving licence ( voiture sans permis)
However, the cyclist stickers are not a contruction and use item, they are a mandatory “safety” requirement for vehicles over 3500kg used in France.
Whether they actually reduce accidents or are worth the vinyl they’re printed on, is another matter!

Is this going to be another one of those things like the breathalyser kits which were touted as being "Mandatory", only for the entire French nation to ignore it, and it became obsolete before the date prosecutions would start?

With the breathalyser, although the decree was passed into law, there was a serious supply issue of these kits and fines for non compliance were rarely given and I believe the law to carry them has been scrapped. The Angles Morts decree was passed into legislation on 1st January 2021with a 12 month period to comply. There is no shortage of stickers or supply issues so it’s very unlikely to go the same was as the breathalyser law.
Only time will tell, but it’s rare now, in France, to see a heavy vehicle without these stickers on.
We still carry two breathalyser kits in our vehicles. The drink drive law is much stricter in France with harsher penalties.
We do have the Angles Morts stickers on the van too!
image.jpg

We do have the Angles Morts stickers on the van too!
And the way there appearing on lorries and vans in the UK I'd not be surprised to see it become a legal requirement here as well.
blindspotwide_grande_de9510dd-4222-4952-892d-36ca3e329593.pngW5C5C7.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first Angles Mort sticker I’ve seen this trip on a Belgium campervan/motorhome. None of the many queueing up for the Dublin-Cherbourg ferry had them and a lot of them were French.

1EC730B0-0274-4A32-910D-656AFAFF3CBC.jpeg

I’ve noticed an increase in the volume of campervan/motorhomes on French roads this trip. Maybe imagined but sure seems to be a lot more, perhaps like the British Isles - ramped up by ‘Costa Covid Campers’ waiting for flights to return 😉.

For me, when the time comes I’ll get magnetic ones on the metal and magnetic ones attached with something double sided that can easily be removed without leaving a mess.

It’ll be interesting to see how things go from January 2022.

This is the first Angles Mort sticker I’ve seen this trip on a Belgium campervan/motorhome. None of the many queueing up for the Dublin-Cherbourg ferry had them and a lot of them were French.

View attachment 101413

I’ve noticed an increase in the volume of campervan/motorhomes on French roads this trip. Maybe imagined but sure seems to be a lot more, perhaps like the British Isles - ramped up by ‘Costa Covid Campers’ waiting for flights to return 😉.

For me, when the time comes I’ll get magnetic ones on the metal and magnetic ones attached with something double sided that can easily be removed without leaving a mess.

It’ll be interesting to see how things go from January 2022.
I guess they were all under 3500kg then, unless you know their weight, it’s difficult to tell if they need them displayed.

I guess they were all under 3500kg then, unless you know their weight, it’s difficult to tell if they need them displayed.
I’d eat my jock’s if that number waiting for the ferry were all under 3500kg, I had a good look and many were much larger than ours, none of them displayed Angles Morts stickers. Most were returning Continentals. We had to up plate our van to get a reasonable payload and I suspect many really should to legally carry what they do with valid insurance.

I can only speak for Chausson, they lie like cheap Chinese watches about pay loads!

You’re quite right though, it‘s going to be a logistical nightmare to enforce and it strikes me that French motorhomers are likely to be the most resistant.

Like I said, I’ll be watching how this plays out with great interest once the period of grace runs out and that’ll be a good few months before we come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have them on ours, so we decided at the last minute against driving through the 3.5T prohibition signs in Dinan….

Really, they ain’t bothered right now, far too many other things going on to enforce during the period of grace. Could change my mind very rapidly when the weather is anywhere near enticing next year if it means affecting our insurance. 😉

Really, they ain’t bothered right now, far too many other things going on to enforce during the period of grace. Could change my mind very rapidly when the weather is anywhere near enticing next year if it means affecting our insurance. 😉
No one is going to enforce it till it becomes mandatory next year, I have mine and that’s all I’m bothered about.

Someone came up with a really brilliant idea with the yellow stickers. If you stick one on the back or sides they know you are over 3500kg so they can pull you over if you are speeding. If they take a picture of you they will see a big yellow sign saying you are over 3500kg. If you are in the outside lane when you shouldn't be they will know your weight. If you don't bother and they pull you over they will fine you for not having them.

I'm going to buy a set of three.

Two magnetic for the cab doors.

The third I will stick to a piece of card and place it in the rear panel window.

Someone came up with a really brilliant idea with the yellow stickers. If you stick one on the back or sides they know you are over 3500kg so they can pull you over if you are speeding. If they take a picture of you they will see a big yellow sign saying you are over 3500kg. If you are in the outside lane when you shouldn't be they will know your weight. If you don't bother and they pull you over they will fine you for not having them.
€45-€135 fine for speeding. €135 -€750 for not displaying the stickers. 🤔

Back through the tunnel tomorrow, had a fabulous couple of weeks in France. staying at a farm today which is 15 miles from check in. Most of our night stops have been free Aires with free services (rarer these days but we prefer minimal).

Ok, we are still in the period of grace as far as enforcing Angles Morts stickers for the As previously said, not many seen displayed on vans obviously over the 3500kg weight limit and those that have are more likely to be from other European countries.

It‘s all very well displaying these stickers, but how are they going to continue to access Aires in areas where vehicles at 3500kg’s or over are excluded? We‘ve seen more signs barring 3500kg’s and over this this trip than any of our many trips to France.

To emphasise my point this vehicle just pulled in, French registered and obviously French owners (from limited conversation). The farm was route barred from the south approach because of road works, so we had to take a fair deviation and approach from the north. The south approach had it been accessible barred 3500kg + vehicles. To get here via Wissant (the only other way in), any vehicle over 3500kg was also barred.

There must be 30 or more motorhomes here weighing 3500kg’s or more. When these stickers become compulsory are these inaccessible Aires going to revert to quiet little backwaters we all use to know and love with - 3500kg motorhomes gathering? Doubt it, it as that would need some policing.

This rule will apply to most of the approaches to Aires we have used this trip.

It‘s is going to be very interesting.

168E520F-2213-43B5-A62A-36AE0DCC5A83.jpeg

Sorry, would have edited last post but interweb a bit sketchy here!

I'm going to buy a set of three.

Two magnetic for the cab doors.

The third I will stick to a piece of card and place it in the rear panel window.

Check out the regulations for the placing of these signs. I recall some while back seeing figures of measurement for height above ground and distance from front of van and distance from UK offside on rear of van.

Davy

We went up to the farm too last Friday via the roadworks deviation, and I admit we are over 3500kg with the necessary stickers on.
I also noted the approach road to the main aire at Le Crotoy has a 3500kg weight limit though we were there with many + 3500kg vans.
Who knows what will happen.
There are a lot of changes going on with aires this year. Many aires on the south Brittany coast now exclude overnight parking and their councils are saying they will provide alternate parking sites ( U.K. councils, you should learn that phrase) which will stop motorhomes travelling down narrow coastal roads and into villages that struggle to accommodate them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back