Cyclist stickers compulsory for vehicle going to France.

We live in France with a French reg van, so I need all the stickers.
I’m pretty sure speed stickers are not required on UK vehicles, but Angles morts stickers are ( if over 3500kg)

Similarly i`ve also resisted putting the 80, 100 and 110 speed stickers on because i can`t stand any extra stuff / stickers plastered all over vehicles.

As you say though they along with these new Angles Morts stickers will advertise the fact that your are over 3,500kg o_O

In the past i`ve always ignored the 3,500kg weight restriction road signs because the majority of French motorhomes seem to ignore them as well.

One that immediately springs to mind is the road into Uzerche that has a very,very short 3,500kg weight limit section on it resulting in a huge diversion.

The Crit`air sticker i got round by sticking it to a piece of clear thick perspex sheet and then wedging it in the correct corner ( our drivers side ) of the windscreen.

I put it in place whilst in the queue at Dover going out and take it out whilst in the queue at Calais coming back otherwise it lives in the glovebox.

The Gendarmerie are more than happy with it like that as we`ve been pulled a couple of times at roadside check points and passed ok.

In the past i`ve always ignored the 3,500kg weight restriction road signs because the majority of French motorhomes seem to ignore them as well.

One that immediately springs to mind is the road into Uzerche that has a very,very short 3,500kg weight limit section on it resulting in a huge diversion.
When we were allowed to travel last summer we went to an aire in France that had approach roads all banning vehicles over 3500kg, with a French reg van, of course, we had to ignore them.
When we got to the site, we were one of the smallest vans there!
Maybe this will change in the future......

When we were allowed to travel last summer we went to an aire in France that had approach roads all banning vehicles over 3500kg, with a French reg van, of course, we had to ignore them.
When we got to the site, we were one of the smallest vans there!
Maybe this will change in the future......
I had a French man tell me those weight signs didn't apply to Camping cars only to lorries he pointed to the sign which did have a lorry on it He was very positive on this but I've still been very wary

The signs with the lorry and weight apply to lorries only. But a circular sign outlined in red with just a weight shown inside applies to all vehicle over that weight.

73F8AA42-DCC3-4CE7-BF77-BCE7EC15F7BD.jpeg
96193BC0-980C-4F7E-B211-0BAD967533FD.jpeg

Last edited:
You also have to have a GB sticker (not the one on number plate)

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag. But you will need to display a GBsticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

I have a Fiamma Luggage Box bolted on to my cycle rack at the rear of the bus. For the sake of ensuring the Angles Morts sticker is easily noticed, I am planning to mount the sticker to this, again on the right hand side. Can anybody advise if this is acceptable to the French please, or does it have to attach to the actual vehicle bodywork?

I have a Fiamma Luggage Box bolted on to my cycle rack at the rear of the bus. For the sake of ensuring the Angles Morts sticker is easily noticed, I am planning to mount the sticker to this, again on the right hand side. Can anybody advise if this is acceptable to the French please, or does it have to attach to the actual vehicle bodywork?
Stickers only required if van is over 3.5 tonnes GROSS

Each time I see a French HGV on the A1(M) that I travel on daily, I look for the sticker! I'm yet to see one.

More and more heavy vehicles are having these fitted now, though there is a 12 month period from 1st Jan to comply. Expect to see more as time goes on. We had a delivery from IKEA on Friday and their 7.5 tonne lorry had them fitted. ( as does our motorhome)
These are the fitting regulations, translated from French.
These stickers must be applied to the bodywork, between 0.90 m and 1.50 m in height, at the rear ("to the right of the longitudinal median plane") and on the sides (in the first meter before the vehicle, excluding glass surfaces, left and right). It is obvious, the stickers must not hide any other obligatory signage (lights and buttons).

More and more heavy vehicles are having these fitted now, though there is a 12 month period from 1st Jan to comply. Expect to see more as time goes on. We had a delivery from IKEA on Friday and their 7.5 tonne lorry had them fitted. ( as does our motorhome)
These are the fitting regulations, translated from French.
These stickers must be applied to the bodywork, between 0.90 m and 1.50 m in height, at the rear ("to the right of the longitudinal median plane") and on the sides (in the first meter before the vehicle, excluding glass surfaces, left and right). It is obvious, the stickers must not hide any other obligatory signage (lights and buttons).
they just wanna ruin the bodywork,😠 not even allowed on a cycle rack 🤣 ironically!

Unless I can come up with a better plan, I intend to place the stickers into poly pockets and tape them to the van with masking tape. Should be easily removed and reused as needed.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back