Corian® for Kitchen Worktops

1 Cup

So this year's build is kitchen worktop and table top . I need 1830 x600 x20 . Tabletop 1200 x 50 x 20 so 6ft is the othere 1.15 m x 2m is on offer Of a 3m board any one need off cuts ?

My build

Worktop and table top

sink and hob cut outs
3 rounded corners On work top
10 fixing to upright legs
And drain channel for sink.
And sink if not over £100 fitted.

Buget £ 1200. Or less. For both tops.

So this year's build is kitchen worktop and table top . I need 1830 x600 x20 . Tabletop 1200 x 50 x 20 so 6ft is the othere 1.15 m x 2m is on offer Of a 3m board any one need off cuts ?

My build

Worktop and table top

sink and hob cut outs
3 rounded corners On work top
10 fixing to upright legs
And drain channel for sink.
And sink if not over £100 fitted.

Buget £ 1200. Or less. For both tops.
Have you found a place to buy Corian at a reasonable price?

Have you found a place to buy Corian at a reasonable price?

Got some samples coming, but No suppliers yet. Got told about 900 quid a sheet. 3000x2000x20 mm it's the 20mm thickness . Any advice as proff of concept is welcomed.

I used Trespa, it was cheap as chips from The Woodpile in Highbridge at the time, only 10 or 15mm thick, 7 years later no chips, scratches or dinks. & quite easy to work with too.

If you're looking for a dark stone effect then have a look at the solid laminate from Wickes, other companies do some different colours. it's very hard and durable, a bit of a sod to work with but it looks nice when it's done and the edges polished. I think it's only around 10mm thick so very slim and modern looking, it's available in the standard worktop depths 600mm + ish so probably works out cheaper than Corian ?
This place does all the bespoke cutting/polishing/draining board channels etc https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/concrete-solid-laminate-worktops/

Last edited:
Use a caravan stainless sink/worktop, i fitted normal ply tops and used glass chopping boards fixed down with twist clips so easy to lift and clean.
kitchen side.jpg

Wish
Got some samples coming, but No suppliers yet. Got told about 900 quid a sheet. 3000x2000x20 mm it's the 20mm thickness . Any advice as proff of concept is welcomed.
I wish I could advise you but I have no experience of it’s use. I know it’s useful stuff, I was looking for a small piece to use as a shelf in my moho.

If you're looking for a dark stone effect then have a look at the solid laminate from Wickes, other companies do some different colours. it's very hard and durable, a bit of a sod to work with but it looks nice when it's done and the edges polished. I think it's only around 10mm thick so very slim and modern looking, it's available in the standard worktop depths 600mm + ish so probably works out cheaper than Corian ?
This place does all the bespoke cutting/polishing/draining board channels etc https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/concrete-solid-laminate-worktops/
What we had in our last kitchen and it's brilliant. Yup, it's a sod to cut and shape, unless you have good quality tools and cutters. No maintenance, virtually indestructible, looks fantastic and will last a lifetime.

What about weight. Isn't corian pretty heavy stuff?
It's also squeeky bum time moving it after cutting the sink out, there is no flex to it and easy to snap at the narrow margins front and rear of the sink.

Solid laminate is heavy too but just about manageable for one person.

It's also squeeky bum time moving it after cutting the sink out, there is no flex to it and easy to snap at the narrow margins front and rear of the sink.

Solid laminate is heavy too but just about manageable for one person.
For me Corian would be 'out' for several reasons, weight, cost, fragility when installing. Solid laminate would be lighter I reckon but the weight would still put me off. It's easy to keep adding weight to a self build until you get huge overweight lump. Personally I'd probably build my own by laminating 2 layers of 3mm ply over a foam core and then finishing them with a laminate (Formica). The range of sheet laminates is vast and some look really classy, dark colours hide the join at the front edge well.
International Decorative Laminates carry a huge range in stock, typically about £100 for a 9'X5' ish sheet.

For me Corian would be 'out' for several reasons, weight, cost, fragility when installing. Solid laminate would be lighter I reckon but the weight would still put me off. It's easy to keep adding weight

Got told I can upgrade weights of van to 3800kg and its only paperwork. No modifications like you would have to do for 4000kg or more..

It's the 3 rounded corners and four on table that make it worth while. No edging. I'm not planning to cut it for under £300 but at £ 500 I can buy the tools.
For me Corian would be 'out' for several reasons, weight, cost, fragility when installing. Solid laminate would be lighter I reckon but the weight would still put me off. It's easy to keep adding weight to a self build until you get huge overweight lump. Personally I'd probably build my own by laminating 2 layers of 3mm ply over a foam core and then finishing them with a laminate (Formica). The range of sheet laminates is vast and some look really classy, dark colours hide the join at the front edge well.
International Decorative Laminates carry a huge range in stock, typically about £100 for a 9'X5' ish sheet.

Sorry I'm no help with corian but if it's the same as the quartz we installed in the house it might make the motor lean a little...the quartz was very heavy but indestructible and unmarkable.
We have a glass top in the motorhome. You can see marks in it in different light.

Just spoke to them in Exeter not corian but will send quote out lovley guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311_140521_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_140521_Chrome.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 11
I used Trespa, it was cheap as chips from The Woodpile in Highbridge at the time, only 10 or 15mm thick, 7 years later no chips, scratches or dinks. & quite easy to work with too.

Yes the wood pile is where I got the shower wall board ( in pic )
20240311_141407.jpg
I'm using up to now as a work top . It's the corner right in front of you as you get in vans sliding door, that is making me go for a solid

Attachments

• 20240311_141330.jpg
    20240311_141330.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240311_141438.jpg
    20240311_141438.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240311_141501.jpg
    20240311_141501.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 16
Yeah that's the stuff, mine is plain pale blue and I fixed it from the bottom.
From what I remember it was easy to router, I put a bullnose around edges & did the cutouts without any bother.
I've been surprised how tough it is & my van gets some hard use.

Back