Consequences of outstaying 90 days ?

Looking for some advice - I usually cut it really fine coming back from my 90 days - if someone does break down and can’t make the ferry who do people think they should contact in the first instance if it means they’re going to overstay for that reason?

I don't know the answer to this but if it were me I would first try and get back in, own steam or towed ? and explain position to any interested customs people. If you have British passports can't see them refusing you entry ,although there might be repercussions.
Could be entirely wrong but hopefully more knowledgeable people will be along shortly.

At the moment I think you'd be really, really unlucky to get pulled if you were a day or two over tbh.

We have now travelled back and forth many times through the customs on trips and they have to search for your outbound stamp in your passport in order to put the inbound stamp in near it (in our experience). If you have been doing several trips to make up your 90 days, then they would have to find all the stamps and then add up the dates....which I cant see them doing as it's too much work for them.

Of course if you have only done 1 trip to make up your 90 days, then it becomes easier but unless you have an overzealous official I'd be surprised if they'd do it even then. Of course if they do, the have evidence to back up your story I guess.

I spent a decent amount of time yesterday looking for any 'overstay because of emergency or accident' provisions in the Regs and could find nothing definitive. The nearest I got was a UK Embassy Helpline telephone line, but there are plenty of articles about the possibility of being deported/bnned from EU Member States, with the penalties being decided by the State in question.

Leaving a sensible margin of perhaps 3-5 days might be sensible; otherwise, it might well be a case of explaining the circumstances, having receipts for garage bills/hospital discharge papers or any other supporting evidence and hoping for understanding. Another option might be to call your Travel Insurance Provider to see how they handle delayed returns to UK for medical emergencies etc. Don't think there'll be much for vehicle breakdown, other than 'continue by foot, nd wait for RAC/AA repatriation of your vehicle' ...

Steve

At the moment I think you'd be really, really unlucky to get pulled if you were a day or two over tbh.

We have now travelled back and forth many times through the customs on trips and they have to search for your outbound stamp in your passport in order to put the inbound stamp in near it (in our experience). If you have been doing several trips to make up your 90 days, then they would have to find all the stamps and then add up the dates....which I cant see them doing as it's too much work for them.

Of course if you have only done 1 trip to make up your 90 days, then it becomes easier but unless you have an overzealous official I'd be surprised if they'd do it even then. Of course if they do, the have evidence to back up your story I guess.
You are forgetting that your passport is scanned. The duration of stay in the Schengen zone will be computed centrally.

The provision of stamps in your passport is an historic left over. It does however provide a backup means of checking and of course provides the information required by the passport holder so they are able to comply with the Schengen regulations.

You are forgetting that your passport is scanned. The duration of stay in the Schengen zone will be computed centrally.

The provision of stamps in your passport is an historic left over. It does however provide a backup means of checking and of course provides the information required by the passport holder so they are able to comply with the Schengen regulations.
So mty point is will uk customs stop a UK passport holder entering UK? Might stop them going out again but surely that's a question for the EU authorities ?

So mty point is will uk customs stop a UK passport holder entering UK? Might stop them going out again but surely that's a question for the EU authorities ?
At Calais, for example, it is the French border authorities who stamp the passport in order to control entry to the EU.

UK Border Force will check the passport validity for proof that you are an UK citizen or have the right to reside in the UK. Provided one of those conditions is met admission cannot be denied.

The ferry company we used was Viajes Normandie, tickets from Carlos.
We went to Tanger Med which was nearer the new motorway to the south.
Remember, if the weather in southern Spain is not good, it will be similar in Morocco so you will have to drive 700-1000 miles to hit the sun in Jan/Feb.

I think the UK Customs could stop any nationality from entering/returning to UK if they believ that an [serious enough] offence has been committed. Turning up alongside a radicalised UK citizen supporting a proscribed organisation may do more than get you arrested. Not something I want to test, unlike my enthusiasm for trying out my eligibility for 90 days+ relying on the extended cover of Elaine's Irish Passport! ['Congratulations, Sir, you have passed your test,' as the Border Guard commented]. Polite AND with a sense of humour (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I think the UK Customs could stop any nationality from entering/returning to UK if they believ that an [serious enough] offence has been committed. Turning up alongside a radicalised UK citizen supporting a proscribed organisation may do more than get you arrested. Not something I want to test, unlike my enthusiasm for trying out my eligibility for 90 days+ relying on the extended cover of Elaine's Irish Passport! ['Congratulations, Sir, you have passed your test,' as the Border Guard commented]. Polite AND with a sense of humour (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve
OK, so if I am trying to come back with a mass murderer or with a serious criminal record or on a watch list I might have difficulties.Otherwise if I am clean then I don't see a problem

OK, so if I am trying to come back with a mass murderer or with a serious criminal record or on a watch list I might have difficulties.Otherwise if I am clean then I don't see a problem
I think we're covering [at least] two different situations here. You questioned whether UK Border Force could stop a UK citizen entering UK. The answer is 'yes' if you fail any of their [unspecified] checks, but in normal circumstances, they would not refuse Entry unless they had reasonable grounds for suspicion

Border Force might stop someone leaving UK if, for example, the individual were on a Watch List for football hooliganism or similar. If the individual is leaving for a Motorhoming Holiday, without the benefit of an EU Passport [own or spouse's], and that Passport has at least 3 months unexpired term beyond the anticipated Return Date, and the Passport will be less than 10 years old at that time, and returns within the rolling 90/180 days limit, without an unauthorised passenger [even unwittingly], there should be no problem, other than clearance time delays

Returning from EU beyond the 90 days period because of a health problem that required you to remain in hospital or for recovery before return travel, would require you to argue your case, supported by Health Reports/Hospital Admissions details etc. There may be a delay whilst you are taken to an Interview Room, and your explanation is verified with the foreign hospital/Health Authority

Returning beyond the 90 day limit because your pooch is sick, or your M/Home broke down may present some difficulties. I couldn't find any Contingency Rules or similar when I looked about 10 days ago, hence my suggestion that you check with the UK-based Embassy Telephone Line and the Travel Insurance Companies who will probably have procedures and, perhaps, Emergency Situation permissions to get vehicles/dogs etc back without inconveniencing Border Force staff, and risking a fine and/or arrest

Steve

Interesting, it's a bit hypothetical for me at the moment having Spanish residency , but I always thought the British passport that I still hold would get me back into the country if needed .

No, the UK border control (which isn’t customs btw) will not stop a UK passport holder from exiting the UK unless the passport is flagged on their system, it will only be flagged if a warrant has been issued against the passport holder.
They will NOT stop you returning in any circumstance, but if a warrant has been issued no matter what way you are travelling they will ask you to surrender to either a customs officer or a police officer who WILL be nearby, should you refuse to do so they will alert such officers to your presence and status, such officers will arrest you.
If you have overstayed the 90 days, it’s an issue for the EU border control officials, not the UK as you have not committed an offence in the UK.

Yes ,I was kinda hoping that's how it works. Need to behave if I want to come back then!

UK citizens can (I believe) stay in Ireland for any amount of time, so if you stayed in Spain for more than 90 days and then caught a ferry from Bilbao to Rosslare drove into Northern Ireland and the got a ferry from Belfast to Liverpool I wonder where or if you would get pulled up on the 90 day rule?

Did anyone see that TV programme (channel 4 I think) where people with completely legitimate UK passports were brought into the UK without using them?

One couple in a motorhome travelled Calais to Dover with the woman hidden in a cupboard.

Another travelled on a private yacht into a south coast port.

Another came (I think) Amsterdam to Newcastle using the passport of a mate with a vaguely similar appearance.

Two girls did what @Boris7 said - travelled into Southern Ireland, drove over the border, then into England or Scotland from Northern Ireland.

The only one who didn't make it was one who tried to kayak over the channel. It was the weather, rather than the authorities, that beat him.

I’ve crossed the channel repeatedly over the years in a works van, since brexit they have been searching both ways (not very well it has to be said) but it’s also crossed in the Motorhome both by ferry and tunnel and no one ever looked in the vehicle either going out or coming back.

Obviously I have an EU passport, but even so you have to think.

Did anyone see that TV programme (channel 4 I think) where people with completely legitimate UK passports were brought into the UK without using them?

One couple in a motorhome travelled Calais to Dover with the woman hidden in a cupboard.

Another travelled on a private yacht into a south coast port.

Another came (I think) Amsterdam to Newcastle using the passport of a mate with a vaguely similar appearance.

Two girls did what @Boris7 said - travelled into Southern Ireland, drove over the border, then into England or Scotland from Northern Ireland.

The only one who didn't make it was one who tried to kayak over the channel. It was the weather, rather than the authorities, that beat him.

Yes I remember that. A bit shocking. So much for fortress Britain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back