Cleaning over-cab

Like this???

Screenshot_20221117-115318.png

I've fallen off my aluminium ladder a couple of times when pruning trees and 10ft laurel hedging. It hurts. ☹️

So I bought a tripod ladder which is fully adjustable for my steep garden, and incredibly stable for washing my camper's roof when used with a telescopic soft brush.

It's paid for itself over. 👍

Reactions: REC
I bought a 'new' step ladder recently as I managed to snap mine in half after falling off it doing the self build, I was lucky to get away without a scratch, but I needed to clean out the gutters at home so saw this at sensible money £50 ex Argos warehouse stepladder, and it's a really good stepladder but I still miss my real ladder.

I use a boat brush I bought many years ago with a telescopic handle.

I've fallen off my aluminium ladder a couple of times when pruning trees and 10ft laurel hedging. It hurts. ☹️

So I bought a tripod ladder which is fully adjustable for my steep garden, and incredibly stable for washing my camper's roof when used with a telescopic soft brush.

It's paid for itself over. 👍
That is more stable than a 4 legged ladder? I like the splayed out legs at the front but the single leg at the back looks like it would not be very stable at all! I guess the proof is in the pudding (or the using, anyway). I just have never used (or seen) one of those.

I also treated myself to a fully adjustable Henchman tripod ladder last year and I am really impressed with it. It is stable and even standing near the top there are special knee braces to support you. I used to get onto my van roof to clean it but with the tripod ladder and an extendable brush I can do all of the roof. I start with snowfoam then use Fenwicks motorhome cleaner.

Henchman is the make of tripod ladder I bought. They bunged in three rubber foot boots at no extra cost, and they are really handy for pavia's, tarmac, etc.

Regarding stability, I've a folding aluminium ladder that effectively becomes four feet, and yes, the tripod ladder is far more stable on all levels and gradiants, which is probably why milkmaids used them in the past. 👍

Henchman is the make of tripod ladder I bought. They bunged in three rubber foot boots at no extra cost, and they are really handy for pavia's, tarmac, etc.

Regarding stability, I've a folding aluminium ladder that effectively becomes four feet, and yes, the tripod ladder is far more stable on all levels and gradiants, which is probably why milkmaids used them in the past. 👍
milkmaids stools have 5 legs though.

(remember to include the lass's legs and feet that will be firmly planted on the ground while they are seated).

Shame we stopped shoving small boys up chimleys innit, they like the outdoor jobs.
There's an idea. Tie a rope to their ankles, up through the skylight and light enough so they can hang over and clean the overcab cap front and then just pull them up with the rope to retrieve.
Then stick back in the garage locker until next clean is due (y)

There's an idea. Tie a rope to their ankles, up through the skylight and light enough so they can hang over and clean the overcab cap front and then just pull them up with the rope to retrieve.
Then stick back in the garage locker until next clean is due (y)
Actually if you got three of them and tie one to the middle of a rope the other two could grab an end and drag the middle one, too and fro from front to the back, you could even get them to do the chassis

I now have a clean over-cab. I took my almost useless folding ladder on which I did not feel safe but which bridged over the bonnet, and I made an aluminium hand rail for it which although it is not super strong being fixed to the side of the bridge with 5mm rivet nuts, I would have rather used 6mm but they seem to be unobtainable hereabouts. The handrail, however, made me feel a lot safer and so armed with a small washing up non scratch scouring pad on the end of a stick and my new rechargeable pressure washer which draws water from a bucket (we still have a hose pipe ban in one of the wettest places in the country, I ask you) I was able to get it to my satisfaction and no accidents, lovely. That scaffold you showed , Witzend, looks dead good but where one gets one round here, I do not know. Any way I am sorted and if I find some M6 rivet nuts I shall replace the M5 with them.

I was hoping to see a Tripod ladder in Amazon on a BF deal - but nope, and looking at north of £300, which is way too much for a ladder bought for a single purpose of cleaning an area around 3 square meters :(

Mind you it took me three days to make the handrail with supporting structure so although £300 is a lot not so bad compared. So far I have spent one tenth of the time using it as I spent making it.

Now I realise that diagonal bracing will not be half so obstructive as I thought and will strengthen it hugely so I shall put some on and possibly put some legs on the bottom so I can get closer to the windscreen and therefore the over-cab. I will get there in the end, and, hey, what else was I doing? Making it safer and so far as my wife is concerned that is important work. And the cost is little. I'll get the grape vine in the conservatory pruned first though. Must go to E-bay for some M6 rivet nuts.

I was hoping to see a Tripod ladder in Amazon on a BF deal - but nope, and looking at north of £300, which is way too much for a ladder bought for a single purpose of cleaning an area around 3 square meters :(
Trust me, if you had the various length of 10ft high laurel hedging and trees that I have, and compare it against the cost of a gardener in the south east, £300 pays for itself in no time.

Washing the roof of my camper completely safely and securely each year is just a bonus. I'm into profit already. 👍

Trust me, if you had the various length of 10ft high laurel hedging and trees that I have, and compare it against the cost of a gardener in the south east, £300 pays for itself in no time.

Washing the roof of my camper completely safely and securely each year is just a bonus. I'm into profit already. 👍
but I don't cut my 10ft hedges and trees, so trust me, £300 would be a waste of money :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back