Cleaning over-cab

Harrytherid

Does anyone have a good method of cleaning i.e. giving it a good hard scrub to shift the mould, a low profile over cab without getting up to it…..If you can be bothered to read it:-

I ask because earlier this year I was cleaning that part of my wagon when my hand that was supporting me slipped and I fell to the ground landing on my side on the tarmac, hitting the already broken wing aerial with my elbow creating a nasty gash and chipping the bone. I also broke three ribs, of which I was not aware at first. No one saw the accident and I lay there for several minutes until I collected myself enough to get painfully up and go indoors to my wife. She was aware of the elbow because of the blood and stuck a plaster on it. By this time the pain was building in the chest so I got in the car (wife is a non-driver) and drove myself to the local A and E where after some prodding they thought broken ribs. I was sent to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth by ambulance as they did not like the exposed bone in my elbow and worried about infection by any other transport method. I spent three days in hospital but was keen to get home and they grudgingly let me go so my Son came down and drove me home. That over cab still needs a good scrub.

I have come rather close on occasion. I firstly cover the area with a TFR and let it soak for a short while, then use an extending soft brush liberally soaked with water (I broke off the hose feed) and scrub from ground level. I will not go back up top and scrub again and I believe a local hand car wash will do the roof, but I haven’t asked them for a price yet as the boss wasn’t around - probably to help translate. Perhaps it’s worth trying locally to you, I’m in Exeter and the car wash is in Exmouth.

Get a mobile van cleaner in, it's not too expensive if you just get it washed, and they will polish them too but then you need a loan, I'd avoid the car washes they will either not want to do it as they don't have the means to get up there or they will do a crap job.

I use a snowfoam applicator on the karcher and avoid vents and seams etc.

If you have a full width garage then it is of course easy to store a mop or something.

You can get an extendable microfibre mop on eBay for £2.99

Get a mobile van cleaner in,

I'm at an age when I pay people to do things for me. But my local mobile cleaner insists on using a power washer.

I explained that I don't like the idea of power washers on MoHo seams and he refused to give me a quote without using one.

So I'm still doing my own washing.

Does anyone have a good method of cleaning a low profile over cab without getting up to it…..I

For the bit above the cab I use Snow Foam and an extending brush.

Do not use TFR.

I have had my 'van washed and polished by Tourershine who do a brilliant job. They offer a mobile service so it's worth getting a quote. It is not cheap. But it is professional.

They warned against the use of TFR on fibreglass. It is used frequently at excessively high solution rates and has a highly detrimental effect.

Thanks for the concern, Fisherman. You are dead right and I am not doing it again. I am somewhat impecunious or tight, or both so an operative is out of the question. I have a folding ladder thing that can be used as a scaffold but I do not feel safe up on it. Just thought, I will make a platform with an handrail and fit some props to stabilise the whole thing. Oh and what is TFR and also snow foam, that seems to be a form of artificial snow. I have considered "wet and forget" but hereabouts and at this time of year it does not stay dry long enough for it to work. All suggestions seriously considered, thanks all.

Hi, sorry to hear of your accident.
We have an awkward to clean spot above the front windscreen, I can’t reach it, even standing on a ladder. I have an extending wash brush, but it won’t go right into the corner, so I taped an old toothbrush onto an old broom handle and spray the head with ‘Astonish’ Mold and Mildew Cleaner. Then I can scrub away, standing on the ground, to my hearts content. It’s a good idea to spray with water afterwards, because it contains a small amount of bleach, but it looks so much better afterwards.
Get well soon!

Thanks for the concern, Fisherman. You are dead right and I am not doing it again. I am somewhat impecunious or tight, or both so an operative is out of the question. I have a folding ladder thing that can be used as a scaffold but I do not feel safe up on it. Just thought, I will make a platform with an handrail and fit some props to stabilise the whole thing. Oh and what is TFR and also snow foam, that seems to be a form of artificial snow. I have considered "wet and forget" but hereabouts and at this time of year it does not stay dry long enough for it to work. All suggestions seriously considered, thanks all.
TFR = Traffic Film Remover.
Snow Foam. It is a product generally applied with a pressure washer (which are fine to use on a Motorhome as long as excessive pressure is not used) and it settles on the boy and is meant to 'suck', or at least loosen the dirt. Personally I have had limited success with Snow Foam but I know people who absolutely swear by it.

PS. I have the identical problem with the overhead 'cap' on my Motorhome and have not found an answer to clean it easily.

Oh and what is TFR and also snow foam, that seems to be a form of artificial snow. I have considered "wet and forget" but hereabouts and at this time of year it does not stay dry long enough for it to work. All suggestions seriously considered, thanks all.
Traffic Film Remover used at the right dilution rates its perfectly safe to use but people can't just beleive it'll work at so small a dilution so over do the rate causing problems. Snow foam is also good and I don't think its possible to over do the application look for both on ebay

Last edited:
I park next to our garden wall which is about two foot lower than the roof, but I still can't get at the front of the roof.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back