Check your tyres

Does the 1mm rule for trucks start at 3.5 tonne or 7.5 tonne?

Don't think I even I ever get close to the 1.6mm minimum. Going to get new tyres in a month or two, will check what the depth is. I expect a lot from my tyres and like new ones. :ROFLMAO:

Does the 1mm rule for trucks start at 3.5 tonne or 7.5 tonne?

Don't think I even I ever get close to the 1.6mm minimum. Going to get new tyres in a month or two, will check what the depth is. I expect a lot from my tyres and like new ones. :ROFLMAO:
tread depth uk..png

I would recommend that a tyre is replaced at around 2-2.5mm. Where I work we recommend around 3mm because water displacement degrades quite drastically from 3mm to the legal limit of 1.6mm.

I've driven a few vehicles on road tests with around 2mm and it's sketchy even though the tyre is legal, 1.6mm is too low.

Where are folks buying their tyres from these days? Presumably you all shopped around so can you share the cheapest deals?

ta
I have been using my local branch of Protyre (formerly Micheldever Tyres) for years. In recent times I have been ordering online through Blackcircles to be fitted at the same place, shaving a few pounds off. Browsing just now, Protyre's price for Agilis Crossclimate for my van's size (195/70R15) is actually about a pound cheaper than Blackcircles at £105.
However, looking at Asda Tyres for fitting at the same place, they are quoting £98.99. So I reckon Asda are the cheapest to buy online, just select your nearest preferred fitter from their list.

Just had my van MOT'd. There were 2 advisories, one on each front tyre for slight perishing. The chap at the garage said that since Covid virtually every vehicle that comes in is getting advisories for the same.

I shall get mine replaced but it might be worth bearing in mind and getting yours checked.
Does 303 Tyre Balm work, have slapped some on, ... the tyres, not me ... time will tell ..

MOT only looks at the depth of tread,. not the condition (unless obviously degraded) nor the age. When i bought my van it passed 3 MOTs before i had a blow out and discovered i had 2 12 year old tyres and 2 20 years old tyres!!! the age is on the tyre.....

When I replaced the set also fitted tyrepal sensors. displays pressure and temperature.
you can set alarms for both. Peace of mind, but you still need to change tyres that are too old regardless of tread depth.

I would recommend that a tyre is replaced at around 2-2.5mm. Where I work we recommend around 3mm because water displacement degrades quite drastically from 3mm to the legal limit of 1.6mm.

I've driven a few vehicles on road tests with around 2mm and it's sketchy even though the tyre is legal, 1.6mm is too low.
For my truck its 1mm and if the gov say and have advised this then it is good to go, tyre salesmen may say different, well they would

Replaced the four rear tyres on mine after the Orkney trip as they were 12 y/o and perished around the rim the fronts still have plenty tread and not that old. I never run my tyres down to the minimum as already stated water displacement comes into it.

MOT only looks at the depth of tread,. not the condition (unless obviously degraded) nor the age. When i bought my van it passed 3 MOTs before i had a blow out and discovered i had 2 12 year old tyres and 2 20 years old tyres!!! the age is on the tyre.....
The overall condition of the tyre is checked. Both axles are jacked up and wheels spun to check sidewalls and for distortion.

When I get my van I'll be looking into either Toyo NanoEnergyVan or Vredestein Comtrac 2 all-season. I work in a tyre company and we do get quite a few motorhomes come in, most of them run between 50-60psi with some hitting closer to 70psi. If I recall we had a Fiat Ducato on 225/75/R16C come to us and I think they were around 75psi on the rear with Agilis Camper.
https://www.tyresafe.org/ These Guys will tell you exactly what pressures to use

Replaced the four rear tyres on mine after the Orkney trip as they were 12 y/o and perished around the rim the fronts still have plenty tread and not that old. I never run my tyres down to the minimum as already stated water displacement comes into it.
How on goods earth do you get 12 years out of tyres, my car alone uses a set every year, van on its third set, are you pushing it everywhere. 🤔 😂

How on goods earth do you get 12 years out of tyres, my car alone uses a set every year, van on its third set, are you pushing it everywhere. 🤔 😂
I have only owned it for coming on two years, it has only done 25k since new.

As soon as my tyres are down to 1mm they will be on.

Trev, I hope you mean that as soon as your tyres are down to the 1.6 mm minimum tread depth (as indicated by the sidewall TWI marks) which became the law in the UK so very long ago now that I can't remember for absolute certain, but 1990 springs to mind as I wrote, designed and produced a very large amount of literature for my tyre manufacturing clients.
But these days, most sensible safety conscious people will change their tyres long before this ridiculous figure, bearing in mind that a tyres water clearing performance rapidly reduces once the tread depth is lower than 4 mm.

Personally speaking I always change all my tyres when they reach 3mm and have been doing so for years ever since I was present at MIRA when extensive tests were undertaken under laboratory which was of course was in the days when our roads had good road surfaces, not like the cart track conditions UK roads are in these days!

Trev, I hope you mean that as soon as your tyres are down to the 1.6 mm minimum tread depth (as indicated by the sidewall TWI marks) which became the law in the UK so very long ago now that I can't remember for absolute certain, but 1990 springs to mind as I wrote, designed and produced a very large amount of literature for my tyre manufacturing clients.
But these days, most sensible safety conscious people will change their tyres long before this ridiculous figure, bearing in mind that a tyres water clearing performance rapidly reduces once the tread depth is lower than 4 mm.

Personally speaking I always change all my tyres when they reach 3mm and have been doing so for years ever since I was present at MIRA when extensive tests were undertaken under laboratory which was of course was in the days when our roads had good road surfaces, not like the cart track conditions UK roads are in these days!
Certainly appears the the 1.6mm law is only up to 3.5 tonnes. Trev posted a list which is also on the AA website.

Only on veh under 3.5 ton, above its 1mm

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back