Channel crossing Prices !

yeoblade

Just been checking out the ferry and Chunnel for next month,they are up almost double from last year, or am I doing something wrong.

Have just looked and the one way journey from Roscoff to Ply last year inc cabin was £285 this year inc cabin is £274 both for same week mid July

Last edited:
Just been checking out the ferry and Chunnel for next month,they are up almost double from last year, or am I doing something wrong.
Yes a lot more
AND they want the length of the vehicle which now probably bumps up the price

ALSO supply and demand...( and more demand)
Given the lounge areas on ferries it MAY be travellers are preferring to "semi-isolate" by using the tunnel.

We prefer the tunnel anyway.
We "payup and shutup" and travel at sensible, but not peak, times !
Just regard it alongside Road Tax, Insurance, MOT/Service.......all paid for out of a "yearly motorhome budget account"

Last edited:
Cant blame them they need to make a profit with restrictions in place so cant fill the boat as they used to - but probably need to accept prices will stay high - probably no different to camping site prices here which have also increased

I know it is not directly comparable but we had a DFDS ferry booked from Dieppe to Newhaven in March and it was cancelled. We got a voucher to spend in the future and we intend to spend it going from Newhaven to Dieppe in September (Covid allowing!). The price for September is lower than the price for last March!

They all have to price as they see fit to survive !

A bit like Airline tickets. The logic of some of the price differences is beyond me.
I make the assumption(?) they know what they are doing !

Eurotunnel may well think they have moved up the pecking order due to Covid and I can understand that.
Ferries may well be trying just to get some income !

My only conclusion with Airline tickets is that Wednesdays are usually the cheapest.
This conclusion based on 7 years as we can book flights according to price now I am retired.
So far Wednesdays has been cheapest every year.
Travelodge and NEX similar !

I read on another form that the Ferry companies are only using a part of their fleet. They will still have fixed overheads and that is probably the reason for the price increase. It should come back down a bit if things normalise.

Not get me down a rat run under the sea,what happens if it cracks as no way out. :eek:
I’m the same Trev you couldn’t pay me to go through that tunnel . 😱
Maggy will not go on the Eurotunnel either, I have done a few day trips using it and it is a lot better than the ferry but she is convinced she could swim back to the UK🤔🤔🤔🤔

My only conclusion with Airline tickets is that Wednesdays are usually the cheapest.
This conclusion based on 7 years as we can book flights according to price now I am retired.
So far Wednesdays has been cheapest every year.
When we used to stay in Spain for the winter and I had to fly home every month for hospital treatments Wednesday was always cheaper by a long way

Getting worried when I first read this A few moments ago, and so I’ve quickly put in my details for when we want to get away i.e. September , and the prices don’t appear to be any different from the last time we went , cheaper if anything.

Being underground never bothered me much ... well it did if bits of the roof tried to join the bits on the floor. :giggle:

I even used to volunteer to get stuck in a faulty Lift when I briefly worked for Wadsworths Lifts Ltd. It was the easiest way for my mate in the Motor Room to pinpoint a problem.

Maybe it's just me! :oops:

I am just waiting for Brittany Ferries to publish next years 2021 crossings so I can amend my existing booking planned for late August.
There is absolutely no way I am going on a boat confined to quarters and having to wear a silly blue muzzle together with the rest of the "faceless" ones
Forget it!
This summer it will be in the UK deffo..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back