CCC are you a fan or not?

Long gone are the days when they were a couple of quid which IMHO is all they are worth :(

I remember saying .................... when they get to £5 p.u.n we`ll stop using them we didn`t and then when they get to £10 p.u.n. we`ll stop, we did.

Last one if i remember correctly was the one just outside LLanrwst in the field behind the Bodnant Caravan Park, entrance off the A470, Betws Road.

£7 p.u.n. and would have been a whole lot better if they`d have had the grass cut first, not nice wading through grass 12" deep that`s wet through with dew.

I lost count of the amount that needed a tow to get out because their wheels started spinning on the saturated grass as soon as the clutch bit.

Lots laughed when i parked on grip mats even though it was glorious sunshine and baking hot when we arrived.

They weren`t laughing when i pulled straight off the field onto the hardcore exit then walked back, picked up my grip mats and waved them goodbye :ROFLMAO:

A couple of them came running over to ask if they could borrow the grip mats, i just laughed, packed them away and left.

I think one of them questioned whether i had a father or not as i drove out o_O
A little tip from my off roading days regarding grip mats - tie them to the back of your vehicle with a short length of rope so that they get dragged behind you as you drive onto firmer ground. That way you don’t have to walk back for them.

Sorry if everyone already knows this.

Mind you in the above scenario I suppose it would rob you of the opportunity to share a smug grin at the other campers 😅

Last edited:
We are in CAMC. Used to be in both but had to economise. No problem with wardens but I too prefer to use the CL:'s to keep costs down. I must also be a Grumpy Old Git because I agree with that members post that at £15 some of them are pushing the boundaries. Although our van is small we use own facilities and need only the dump point and fresh water and ideally electricity. Some of the CL's are like mini full sites and I think that £15 for them is probably fine but many are just a field and it seems a bit steep.

I stayed at a temporary holiday site last week in Burton Bradstock. Although it was pleasant enough I wouldn't say it was particularly cheap at £10.50 a night for a space on a field, two taps and one elsan tip compared to a basic c/l with a maximum of five units as opposed to the hundred or so there.
We will be going to Burton Bradstock later this month, Been using the site for many years love it there the site next door Freshwater would cost you £35 a night or more this time of year screaming kids loud music till the early hours no thanks the Manor Farm site is our choice every time love it there, we left Lancing THS this morning heading for Barnham THS but called in at Goring beach where We are parked next to the beach 6 other vans here blowing a hoolly great surf and wind kiters can't overnight here any more but can stay till 9 pm so that is OK stay safe all and have fun.

Goring Beach today.
IMG_20200821_114739.jpg
IMG_20200821_114443.jpgIMG_20200821_114244.jpgIMG_20200821_114230.jpgIMG_20200821_114215.jpgIMG_20200821_114138.jpgIMG_20200821_114127.jpg

We will be going to Burton Bradstock later this month, Been using the site for many years love it there the site next door Freshwater would cost you £35 a night or more this time of year screaming kids loud music till the early hours no thanks the Manor Farm site is our choice every time love it there, we left Lancing THS this morning heading for Barnham THS but called in at Goring beach where We are parked next to the beach 6 other vans here blowing a hoolly great surf and wind kiters can't overnight here any more but can stay till 9 pm so that is OK stay safe all and have fun.
I can't say anything bad about the THS other than you get the same as a 5 unit site at a higher price, with more people using the tap and elsan dump. I get the impression that a lot of people used the Freshwater facilities in the past but Covid has put an end to that.

I can't say anything bad about the THS other than you get the same as a 5 unit site at a higher price, with more people using the tap and elsan dump. I get the impression that a lot of people used the Freshwater facilities in the past but Covid has put an end to that.
A L
A Lot of CLs charge £10 £20 a night now, you get what you pay for, of course Wild Camping is cheapest but I do not want to sleep in industrial sites or main road laybys as some do, lots of good wilding I know but here in Southern England it is more difficult than in Northern England, once a roos the Channel we Wild whenever we can or use Aires etc which I consider much the same, great to have so many choices I say

A L

A Lot of CLs charge £10 £20 a night now, you get what you pay for, of course Wild Camping is cheapest but I do not want to sleep in industrial sites or main road laybys as some do, lots of good wilding I know but here in Southern England it is more difficult than in Northern England, once a roos the Channel we Wild whenever we can or use Aires etc which I consider much the same, great to have so many choices I say
Most basic cl's are around £6-7 for what you get at a temporary site with far fewer neighbours. Those with EHU are dearer.

Reactions: 2cv
Being a single camper I prefer the C&CC club sites on the few occasions when I don't wild camp. I am well equipped with solar so don't need ehu and with the member and age discount I usually pay about £8 pn out of season. I recently paid only £9 pn full season for a grass only non ehu pitch on which they were offering a third discount. I am about to try my first THS at £10pn which is just about acceptable. I have given up on cs's, the price of many of which have gone through the roof. Also, the last one I used about 4 years ago, charged about double the price stated on the C&CC website.

I am a CCC member, I only use the temp holiday sites and rallies and on occasion a CL.
I have never had an issue with either.
I like the digital membership as I can download the magazine on WiFi at home and read on my ipad at leisure while away.
The out and about app is very good for finding a temp site while on the road.
I can't see what the CMC have to offer above that for the extra membership cost.

Member of both, Joined CC back in 72. Just another option. Never meet the tyrannical jobsworth wardens some people seem to find every where.

On one occasion at 11pm at night I had a major nose bleed in the Gents. My wife called the warden. He and his wife came out. She organised that both genders used the ladies whilst he cleaned up what looked like an OTT scene from a Tanantino film. It turned out to be first of many many such incidents and I was eventually hospitalised for a couple of weeks.

If you like the occasional big site, or enjoy CL/CSs, or fancy a rally (when the kids were small we rallied most weekends but haven't been on one for decades) it is worth joining.

Personal choice.

Been members of both for yonks. Mainly for the cls /css, for when her indoors takes fright at being in the wild. Occasionally use CCC sites, we like the during day stop for a few hours to top up/ dump etc, and we have been known to call in on THSs when it suits if we are passing,( it's that 5/6/7 p.m. nowhere decided to stop yet thing ! ) and find them useful and sometimes interesting. as for CC(CAMC), don't like regimented white caravans, and the attitude that goes with them, especially when we used to have a 1984 mk2 transit coachbuilt....but did like the one at Baltic Wharf, Bristol, just for its position, but their 5 van sites have been known to come up trumps on price on location on some surprising occasions. Overall, in the great scheme of things, depending on your wants and needs, its probably worth joining at least one - CCC first, CAMC second, particularly if you can take advantage of the mid week and/or oldies discounts. happy camping whatever you decide !

We stayed on a very large site oop north.. The shop was perfect, the hard driveway, perfect, not even a pebble out of place. The grass a perfect 5cm height, all motorhomes pointed the same direction, the shower block so clean you could eat of the bog seat. The list of rules so long it was akin to war and peace. Yes if you had OCD and wanted to live on such a perfect place then great. Me, i thought id rather get friendly with a thousand lonely sailors than stay on such a place. Never again.

I have read the above posts and worked out I must be lucky or something.

I have stayed this year on about 20 CAMC sites already, touring the south coast of England, over to Wales, the Lakes, Scotland and the North East. I mainly used full sites, but also some CL sites. I don’t think I can remember any major issues that are worth putting to paper, as those running them are the same as us in most cases, MoHo owners etc. Taking into account 12 days in the lakes, it was nice to have some space on the pitch, to have showers and toilets controlled so as to allow cleaning and separation. I cycled around a fair bit and other sites were packed in like sardines and no way was there any separation going on.

Right now, a lot of non-club sites are restricting those shared services (toilets and showers) to those camping and caravan and MoHo users are requested to use their own services.

We all have different opinions on what is acceptable or not. Trouble is, there will always be more complaining about something than those saying how good they are. Its just a fact of life about everything we do.

Do you get value for money? Well, its nice to drop onto a site every few days to empty and fill up, sort out any washing and recharge the batteries etc. So for me, I would recommend membership.

Been to a couple of DA meets but they were a bit tooooooooo eager for everyone to come and join in the communal get together on the saturday night for us.

By all means ask, but if someone says ................... no thank you .................. then that should be it, no thank you means no thank you.

One meet at least half a dozen people separately came over to try and get us to bring our chairs over and join in.
I would rather be asked by 6 different people to join in with them, (you can always decline) rather than be totally blanked by everyone, like has been done to me in the past at a DA meet. (Not been out with that particular club since). I am a lone camper.

On and off I have been a member of both. I have always found the CCC to be the friendliest and more accommodating. I have also found that they are easier to book e.g. You have to pay a deposit and some people don’t like this so do not book, however the C&MHC you can never get booked unless you sit with you finger on the button 3 months ahead. My other gripe is the recent posts, since the ‘Virus’ era is the policy of not encouraging wild camping by the C&MHC to the extent of turning away ‘Members’ when they wish to empty their cassettes and get fresh water. That was the end game for me.

Both clubs have plus and minus points.
C&CC. They gave three months extension to membership when they were closed, have free WiFi on club sites and have discounts for the older community out of season together with the temporary sites, but tend to be away from towns.
C&MC Have many sites within easy walking distance of towns, probably have more C/L's and may have newer facilities, but they charge for WiFi.
I've not had a problem with booking with either club except for the city sites like Bristol and York, but a phone call to the site usually works. I can't say I've noticed any snobbery in the C&MC sites, but maybe I'm a little thicker skinned than some.

We used to do the 12 month Wi-Fi pass at both the C&CC and the CAMC because it worked out a lot cheaper per month for 12 months that for a week or a month.

In the past we`ve even parked outside a club site and used their Wi-Fi when needed but they both went steadily downhill.

The final straw with the CAMC was at Abbey Wood when there wasn`t even enough bandwidth to open emails never mind do any surfing.

One of the repeaters was right opposite our pitch, the wardens said i needed to speak to the company that runs their Wi-Fi because they had nothing to do with it.

I rang the company in Blackpool that used to run it but they said i needed to speak to the wardens.

I gave up and never renewed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back