Campaign for Real Aires - CAMpRA

. It’s time that we came of the defensive, stopped beating ourselves up about not contributing as much as a hotel customer, and reminded some that we have paid vast fortunes before heading out.
The idea of the CAMPra fb page is to do just that. Put forward a positive reason why motorhome tourists are a "good thing". We need to use all avenues to get changes of minds. We are looking at all types of provision. As on this forum there are all view about what constitutes an "Aire", especially now the page has had a huge influx of new members. Meg

From Fisherman "We put billions into this country every year, and in return we get abuse from Pratt’s like ill informed morons like councillor Colin, and treated like vagrants by some who's lack of knowledge about us is staggering. It’s time that we came of the defensive, stopped beating ourselves up about not contributing as much as a hotel customer, and reminded some that we have paid vast fortunes before heading out. "

There have been surveys carried out to find how valuable an asset we are. But, so far as I can tell they have always been inother countries and I've not been able to find one for UK. There might be one from Ireland but I've not yet written to that council to find it. I will do that.

I've struggled to find, in the last few mins the surveys I've had from overseas but the best I can come up with so far is the one I attach. A bit dated and from trhe USA but maybe a useful read?

2020-06-27_125503.png

Attachments

• 2014 Outlook for the RV Market.docx - w002.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 124
From Fisherman "We put billions into this country every year, and in return we get abuse from Pratt’s like ill informed morons like councillor Colin, and treated like vagrants by some who's lack of knowledge about us is staggering. It’s time that we came of the defensive, stopped beating ourselves up about not contributing as much as a hotel customer, and reminded some that we have paid vast fortunes before heading out. "

There have been surveys carried out to find how valuable an asset we are. But, so far as I can tell they have always been inother countries and I've not been able to find one for UK. There might be one from Ireland but I've not yet written to that council to find it. I will do that.

I've struggled to find, in the last few mins the surveys I've had from overseas but the best I can come up with so far is the one I attach. A bit dated and from trhe USA but maybe a useful read?

View attachment 83813

The CCC had one carried one out last year, for the whole industry including caravans, all types of motorhomes, campsites, taxes, employment off over 100,000 and they came up with £9.3 billion.

Supporting a local economy is good but if a visitor doesn't want to spend a penny when they are visiting an area that's their business as far as I am concerned. I try to but people should not be condemned for not doing so. I suspect when Colin and people of his ilk do their annual visit to the city they don't think twice about the fact they only put money into the likes of Costa, M&S, and Debenham's etc

The CCC had one carried one out last year, for the whole industry including caravans, all types of motorhomes, campsites, taxes, employment off over 100,000 and they came up with £9.3 billion.
Totally meaningless when justifying wildcamping it needs to drive down deeper ( part of my original point) we can’t quantify so mentioning it seems questionable

But what we can safely say is on our travels we need to eat and drink like any other group, so are potential customers for local shops buying daily essentials

We also enjoy the emotional satisfaction when using restaurants ,pubs and cofffee shops we want and add value to the experience.....I can honestly say during my time in hospitality I never judged by what was in the car park. My ego was left outside and orchestrated ambience and experience people wanted to be part of...that hasn’t changed..businesses do as a rule receive us well it is their governors the councils we need to change mindsets and win the hearts and minds .....it’s all about winning hearts and minds

...........bet these same 'freeloaders' are the ones that when Colin bought his latest purchase on Amazon stacked it, distributed it and delivered it to his doorstep!! Rant over..........sorry I really ******* hate 'Colins'

Totally meaningless when justifying wildcamping it needs to drive down deeper ( part of my original point) we can’t quantify so mentioning it seems questionable

But what we can safely say is on our travels we need to eat and drink like any other group, so are potential customers for local shops buying daily essentials

We also enjoy the emotional satisfaction when using restaurants ,pubs and cofffee shops we want and add value to the experience.....I can honestly say during my time in hospitality I never judged by what was in the car park. My ego was left outside and orchestrated ambience and experience people wanted to be part of...that hasn’t changed..businesses do as a rule receive us well it is their governors the councils we need to change mindsets and win the hearts and minds .....it’s all about winning hearts and minds

Sorry Andrew I never try to justify wild camping, there’s nothing to justify.
Why do we need to justify ourselves.
As I stated previously we should not get involved in this debate, car drivers, cyclists, and others who visit towns and villages don‘t require any justification.

Whats required is a sea change in attitudes, not us attempting to justify our existence. People like councillor Charles are not alone there are plenty of folk out there who share his views, and indeed in here.

We have to be clear here.

We don’t have to justify we need to educate.
To suggest that we have to justify ourselves puts hard working life long tax payers like us on the defensive. Why should we be on the defensive, we have done nothing wrong, the wrong doing comes through ignorance, we are not the ignorant ones, they the Colins of this world are.

Do yourselves a favour once a day listen to what uncle Colin has to say. And then remind yourself he is not extreme, he’s part of a large section of our ignorant il informed population. He Colin and his ilk need help, they need to know the facts before uttering such a pile of utter crap.

When we are out and about I often get into conversations with people, we have even had a few into our van. Within ten minutes their fears evaporate, their ignorance has been transformed and they are more comfortable with what and who we are. Whilst parked up near Callander we got chatting to a couple who had parked their car before heading up Ben Ledi. Well they are now the proud owners of a Wildax Solaris van conversion. Last year they did Scandinavia this year well they were heading for France. But they will be heading down south instead.

If folk seem curious talk to them.
Let them realise that you are not different from the crowd, not what Colin has been telling them, simply hard working people who are enjoying their hard earned retirement.
Hopefully one day Colin will see the error of his ways, maybe even join us.
You never know, happy endings do happen sometimes. ;)

On Politics Scotland tv programme this morning we are worried about all the Camper vans heading for Scotland due to relaxation of the lockdown.

Apparently were not worried about the greater numbers arriving in cars then heading into hotels and B&Bs who will come in much closer contact with people and environments. Creating a much greater risk to the people of Scotland than a few Covid safe camper vans. Apparently we are not concerned about Scots heading down south then bringing Covid back here. But we are concerned about the campers.

On Politics Scotland tv programme this morning we are worried about all the Camper vans heading for Scotland due to relaxation of the lockdown.

Apparently were not worried about the greater numbers arriving in cars then heading into hotels and B&Bs who will come in much closer contact with people and environments. Creating a much greater risk to the people of Scotland than a few Covid safe camper vans. Apparently we are not concerned about Scots heading down south then bringing Covid back here. But we are concerned about the campers.
Grrr!

We went out for a drive today, first distance wise since lock down, checking out various spots we know. One was closed off with very large logs, which will hopefully be removed when lock down is lifted?

Another lovely spot, first thing that caught my eye was the pile of crap left under a tree, usual crap, empty vodka bottles, beer tins and the like, even a frying pan, just left Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bongo parked up, they have been using this spot off and on during the lock down, I mentioned the rubbish, he said there had been a BMW parked up Friday, Saturday and, left this morning, they were tent camping. IMO some off these tent campers are our biggest threat to be able to wild camp, they have the law on their side, where we have to park our wheels on someones land, when that someone gets pissed off with having to clear up the litter of others, that is when the height barriers go up.

Personally, I would have taken reg No of BMW along with images of mess they left, then reported car owner to police, I feel with the potential influx after lock down is lifted for Scotland, there will be tsunami heading for our border.

Theres always a large number of vans heading our way runnach.
But this year I doubt if many will come from Europe, and they make up probably about 25%.
Also as you may have read on here some including myself are reluctant to WC for a while.
We plan only three nights in Ratagan and Morvich were we should be fine.
as for arran well we were thinking September, but have now decided against.
So lets see what happens.

Problem is Bill, not all sites will open at all this year, which make you wonder where the potential influx from south of border will park up??

That’s a good point, but some won’t come up without a booking. We are booked up for various sites but we got in early.
if you still fancy Arran look at calmacs website . Bookings from 30 June. Increased passengers being carried. But bookings only 14 days ahead .

I have joined too. I wrote to Durham council a while ago proposing the above - didn’t have the decency to reply

Just think about how the local toilets (if they were open) would have been overwhelmed in Brighton and Bournemouth recently
Illegal and downright dangerous parking...I doubt any fines will be issued or collected !!!
Litter everywhere costing a vast amount to clear up
Councils and police quite right to complain !

Your truly Mr O'Git

On the news a second wave is breaking out so some zones will be back into lockdown,folk just dont get it and many biz places from what i see just went on as normal with staff all sitting or working close together,big problem is if we dont work the country will go down the tubes,catch 22 situation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back