Bulkhead gas regulator failure

looking at regulators I saw something interesting ....
You see comments about never using the LPG when driving unless you have a Crash Sensor installed? Seems like a good idea and a useful option? except if you look at the Truma webite you see the following ... "To ensure maximum safety, all Truma gas pressure regulators have an integrated crash sensor.".
I have found on several occasions mine has actuated during a journey. I have to reset it by pushing a button before I get any gas.

I have found on several occasions mine has actuated during a journey. I have to reset it by pushing a button before I get any gas.
Looking at the Truma ones, I don't think I could actually fit the newer ones which have it as standard as it elongates the effective length of the set and my pipe goes into the wall too soon.
Don't need to use gas on the move anyway so doesn't greatly matter if I have to turn the gas off.

Charlie has the older ones in stock David.

I carry a propane bottle regulator as a spare. If my bulkhead regulator packs up the bottle regulator will get me going again until I get to Charlies for them to change. Some places charge an awful lot more than others

filter? where is the filter?
I've never heard of a filter per se, some have like a gauze to stop the big lumps.
I attached my filter to the regulator. Mine is the type as shown at #13 by @Fisherman . I think Truma are now selling an updated version but both have a very fine filter element not a gauze one. I think the important bit is that they have a bowl below the filter where the oily residue collects before it can gum up the regulator.

On one occasion I was told by a habitation tester that he could not complete the gas pressure test because there was a “leak through” on the cylinder valve that was preventing him from getting a zero pressure. I could not find this “leak” and eventually discovered a puddle of oily goo in the filter bowl and this was slowly bubbling and releasing just enough gas to stop the pressure from zeroing. I think the goo would have ruined the regulator.
My crash regulator needs resetting whenever the pressure in the system drops. Usually the pressure stays up when I turn the bottle off but if things get done in the wrong order and the fridge or gas hob get turned on before the bottle then it pops out.

Might also be worth mentioning as a general point that the crash regulator is not all that is needed if the gas is left on when travelling. The high pressure side between bottle and regulator must also be protected by a rupture device. Many refillable cylinders with the multi valve set up incorporate a rupture valve that interrupts the flow if there is a leak. If the bottle does not have rupture protection then a special pig tail incorporating a rupture valve can be used.

I've spent the past couple of weeks chasing a small gas leak in the gas locker emanating from my two GasIt refillables.

I emptied and then disconnected one cylinder and then removed tee-pieces to revert to a single cylinder installation. I wanted to reduce the number of connections to the minimum.

In addition I purchased an electronic gas leak detector like this:

This works very well and confirmed that the leak was in the vicinity of the regulator. Despite renewing the hose from cylinder to regulator and fitting new washers the leak persisted.

I consulted a dealer in Seixal, Portugal, yesterday and purchased the hose and washers from them.

I returned today at 10am to see if they could swap the regulator for me. This seemed to be the cause of the problem. They were most helpful and I returned at 3pm. Upon removal the regulator showed clear signs of being full of oil carried in the LPG. This is excusable after 17 years I think...

The new regulator was fitted very quickly and the gas leak has been banished.

So it's worth bearing this problem in mind if the regulator in your vehicle is a little elderly...

Yet again it was proven that getting things fixed on a motorhome is quick and straightforward in Europe. I have prior experience in France and Spain to back this up. It's not like the UK where you're likely to have wait for a couple of months to be fitted in!

Even better it was cheap. Total cost fitted 63€!!

Labour rate at the dealer was an amazing 43€ per hour!

If you're in Portugal and need help I can recommend highly Solvana Motorhomes:

The proprietor speaks almost perfect English too...
i Traced a leak in the connection from the feed hose to the Truma regulator, had to do it up uber murder tight to stop it.
Also had to replace the Truma regulator at one point because it's filter was blocked to the point that the hob would'nt go to full flame, and the Truma heater would'nt work.
I had bought LPG from a manky looking garage in north wales border area where the pump hose was all lying on the floor in a load of filth.

I attached my filter to the regulator. Mine is the type as shown at #13 by @Fisherman . I think Truma are now selling an updated version but both have a very fine filter element not a gauze one. I think the important bit is that they have a bowl below the filter where the oily residue collects before it can gum up the regulator.

On one occasion I was told by a habitation tester that he could not complete the gas pressure test because there was a “leak through” on the cylinder valve that was preventing him from getting a zero pressure. I could not find this “leak” and eventually discovered a puddle of oily goo in the filter bowl and this was slowly bubbling and releasing just enough gas to stop the pressure from zeroing. I think the goo would have ruined the regulator.

My crash regulator needs resetting whenever the pressure in the system drops. Usually the pressure stays up when I turn the bottle off but if things get done in the wrong order and the fridge or gas hob get turned on before the bottle then it pops out.

Might also be worth mentioning as a general point that the crash regulator is not all that is needed if the gas is left on when travelling. The high pressure side between bottle and regulator must also be protected by a rupture device. Many refillable cylinders with the multi valve set up incorporate a rupture valve that interrupts the flow if there is a leak. If the bottle does not have rupture protection then a special pig tail incorporating a rupture valve can be used.
sounds like a right pain and possibly more trouble than it is worth!

I just turn off the Gaslow bottle :) When I turn it back on when arrived, I have a push valve on the hose and that it is.

(just ordered a new Bulkhead regulator and decided to get the same model as already fitted :) - keep the old one as a spare and if needed will go straight on without faffing around)

Last edited:
sounds like a right pain and possibly more trouble than it is worth!

I just turn off the Gaslow bottle :) When I turn it back on when arrived, I have a push valve on the hose and that it is.

(just ordered a new Bulkhead regulator and decided to get the same model as already fitted :) - keep the old one as a spare and if needed will go straight on without faffing around)
We had a Truma crashsafe (or what ever it's called now) fitted due to the difficulty of accessing the gas cylinders (the eternal question of do designers ever use a van) turn on gas when starting a trip, turn off gas at end of trip, or when going on ferries. The 'old' reg is kept in the gas locker as a spare.

We had a Truma crashsafe (or what ever it's called now) fitted due to the difficulty of accessing the gas cylinders (the eternal question of do designers ever use a van) turn on gas when starting a trip, turn off gas at end of trip, or when going on ferries. The 'old' reg is kept in the gas locker as a spare.
Interestingly, I would have precisely the opposite problem with my gas locker :) I can very easily turn either of the two bottles off directly but the bulkhead regulator would involve trying to reach over and down behind the bottles to access.

In NZ, propane bottles can be refilled at some garages, the bottles are always cleaned prior to refilling. Gas was about two thirds of what we pay in the UK.

After what happened to my regulator I carried a spare. I would simply carry a spare and replace it when your existing one is faulty. Watch out for different pipe sizes they come in 8 and 10mm.
The new replacement I had fitted was for 10mm. The fitter added an adapter to reduce it to fit my 8mm pipe.

filter? where is the filter?
On my GasIt setup I have a filter connected directly to each cylinder. The filter element is replaceable.

That said I check the filters from time to time and they never get contaminated or dirty. Strange...

looking at regulators I saw something interesting ....
You see comments about never using the LPG when driving unless you have a Crash Sensor installed? Seems like a good idea and a useful option? except if you look at the Truma webite you see the following ... "To ensure maximum safety, all Truma gas pressure regulators have an integrated crash sensor.". So easy way to add that if getting a new one?
My GasIt cylinders have excess flow protection. I never turn them off except on ferries or on Eurotunnel.

i Traced a leak in the connection from the feed hose to the Truma regulator, had to do it up uber murder tight to stop it.
Also had to replace the Truma regulator at one point because it's filter was blocked to the point that the hob would'nt go to full flame, and the Truma heater would'nt work.
I had bought LPG from a manky looking garage in north wales border area where the pump hose was all lying on the floor in a load of filth.
Do not overtighten the connections. Each end of the pipe is fitted with a gas compatible washer which will crush if overtightened.

The dealer who helped me yesterday told me this is the biggest cause of gas leaks. The fitting should be hand tightened, then nipped up about a quarter turn.

He told me that there is a Truma tool which is made of plastic which will break if you try to overtighten the connections!

Was there any reason that they changed to bulk head regs the old on bottle type seems a better bet to allow a back flow to the hose

Without the crash regulator you should turn the gas off when travelling. The excess flow protection will not switch the gas off if you have a break in the pipes or a leak in the habitation area. Flow protection only detects leaks in the high pressure pipes between the cylinder and the regulator but nothing after the regulator. You need both parts of the protection system.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back