Bulkhead gas regulator failure

Canalsman

I've spent the past couple of weeks chasing a small gas leak in the gas locker emanating from my two GasIt refillables.

I emptied and then disconnected one cylinder and then removed tee-pieces to revert to a single cylinder installation. I wanted to reduce the number of connections to the minimum.

In addition I purchased an electronic gas leak detector like this:

This works very well and confirmed that the leak was in the vicinity of the regulator. Despite renewing the hose from cylinder to regulator and fitting new washers the leak persisted.

I consulted a dealer in Seixal, Portugal, yesterday and purchased the hose and washers from them.

I returned today at 10am to see if they could swap the regulator for me. This seemed to be the cause of the problem. They were most helpful and I returned at 3pm. Upon removal the regulator showed clear signs of being full of oil carried in the LPG. This is excusable after 17 years I think...

The new regulator was fitted very quickly and the gas leak has been banished.

So it's worth bearing this problem in mind if the regulator in your vehicle is a little elderly...

Yet again it was proven that getting things fixed on a motorhome is quick and straightforward in Europe. I have prior experience in France and Spain to back this up. It's not like the UK where you're likely to have wait for a couple of months to be fitted in!

Even better it was cheap. Total cost fitted 63€!!

Labour rate at the dealer was an amazing 43€ per hour!

If you're in Portugal and need help I can recommend highly Solvana Motorhomes:

The proprietor speaks almost perfect English too...

I've spent the past couple of weeks chasing a small gas leak in the gas locker emanating from my two GasIt refillables.

I emptied and then disconnected one cylinder and then removed tee-pieces to revert to a single cylinder installation. I wanted to reduce the number of connections to the minimum.

In addition I purchased an electronic gas leak detector like this:

This works very well and confirmed that the leak was in the vicinity of the regulator. Despite renewing the hose from cylinder to regulator and fitting new washers the leak persisted.

I consulted a dealer in Seixal, Portugal, yesterday and purchased the hose and washers from them.

I returned today at 10am to see if they could swap the regulator for me. This seemed to be the cause of the problem. They were most helpful and I returned at 3pm. Upon removal the regulator showed clear signs of being full of oil carried in the LPG. This is excusable after 17 years I think...

The new regulator was fitted very quickly and the gas leak has been banished.

So it's worth bearing this problem in mind if the regulator in your vehicle is a little elderly...

Yet again it was proven that getting things fixed on a motorhome is quick and straightforward in Europe. I have prior experience in France and Spain to back this up. It's not like the UK where you're likely to have wait for a couple of months to be fitted in!

Even better it was cheap. Total cost fitted 63€!!

Labour rate at the dealer was an amazing 43€ per hour!

If you're in Portugal and need help I can recommend highly Solvana Motorhomes:

The proprietor speaks almost perfect English too...
I think our Motorhomes are of a very similar age and I have been thinking for a couple of years I need to get my regulator replaced as it will still be the original one.
Is this the same as yours?

Bulkhead Regulator
by David, on Flickr

I didn't initially spot either the age of the hose from bottle to regulator until I added a new 2nd one for a dual connection a couple of years ago ....

Hoses
by David, on Flickr

At first glance seemed ok until you bend them then the truth will out
IMG_20220629_134459_4 by David, on Flickr

I think our Motorhomes are of a very similar age and I have been thinking for a couple of years I need to get my regulator replaced as it will still be the original one.
Is this the same as yours?

Bulkhead Regulator by David, on Flickr

I didn't initially spot either the age of the hose from bottle to regulator until I added a new 2nd one for a dual connection a couple of years ago ....

Hoses by David, on Flickr

At first glance seemed ok until you bend them then the truth will out
IMG_20220629_134459_4 by David, on Flickr
Yes, it's the same regulator.

The replacement fitted today is made by GOK who manufacture the regulators for Truma.

There's a subtle design change. The entry point to the new regulator is at 90 degrees to the body. This allows the feed hose to be above the level of the cylinder and run horizontally. This should limit the amount of oil entering the regulator.

I have the same reg as yours David, I'm thinking it's the same age as the van.
The bottom number is the year of manufacturer - so "07" is 2007. I can't remember what I was told about the recommended replacement age. Possibly 10 years?
I remember seeing some on eBay for an apparent bargain price but they were used ones with just a few recommended years left, so a false bargain I would say?

There's a subtle design change. The entry point to the new regulator is at 90 degrees to the body. This allows the feed hose to be above the level of the cylinder and run horizontally. This should limit the amount of oil entering the regulator.
My understanding is that there should always be a downward fall on the hose, back towards the bottle. Oily condensates in the pipe need to be encouraged to run back to the bottle and not get carried by the flow of gas into the regulator. If there is insufficient fall a filter will help intercept the condensates. My installation has a small downward fall to the bottle but I still find oily substances in the filter when I clean it out.

I had to replace a Truma regulator in my last van when it was only one year old. I got the dealer to send one up to me and fitted it myself. Apparently refillable gas contains more contaminants that cause issues with regulators. Although I use Calor so that was weird. The new van has a duo system, hopefully this will be ok, as replacing this will set me back around £160.

IMG_6981.jpeg

The bottom number is the year of manufacturer - so "07" is 2007. I can't remember what I was told about the recommended replacement age. Possibly 10 years?
I remember seeing some on eBay for an apparent bargain price but they were used ones with just a few recommended years left, so a false bargain I would say?
Rubber hoses should be replaced every 5 years David. I much prefer the braided stainless steel type that will last 12-15 years. Also I prefer the hand tight connectors to the ones were you need a spanner. I have two waiting to be fitted to the new van, but I will wait until the warranty has finished after two years before fitting them.

Last edited:
Rubber hoses should be replaced every 5 years David. I much prefer the braided stainless steel type that will last 12-15 years. Also I prefer the hand tight connectors to the ones were you need a spanner. I have two waiting to be fitted to the new van, but I will wait until the warranty has finished after two years before fitting them.
I was referring to the regulator when I said "think it is 10 years" and "07" is the date of manufacture" :)

My understanding is that there should always be a downward fall on the hose, back towards the bottle. Oily condensates in the pipe need to be encouraged to run back to the bottle and not get carried by the flow of gas into the regulator. If there is insufficient fall a filter will help intercept the condensates. My installation has a small downward fall to the bottle but I still find oily substances in the filter when I clean it out.
That's correct.

My old regulator had the input connector at the top facing upwards so the hose had no option but to allow a short length to drop downwards.

Now the hose rises up from the cylinder before running horizontally to the regulator. That should help.

filter? where is the filter?

I was referring to the regulator when I said "think it is 10 years" and "07" is the date of manufacture" :)
After what happened to my regulator I carried a spare. I would simply carry a spare and replace it when your existing one is faulty. Watch out for different pipe sizes they come in 8 and 10mm.

After what happened to my regulator I carried a spare. I would simply carry a spare and replace it when your existing one is faulty. Watch out for different pipe sizes they come in 8 and 10mm.
Idea of a spare is an interesting one. I thought could be a good idea, but comment from Canalman was very relevant ... 17 years old and only just failed. After changing the regulator, the spare would be age-expired by the time it is likely needed. If (very likely due to age) I change the Regulator, I'd probably keep the one I take out as an interim spare.

In my own Motorhome, if the Regulator were to fail and I lost access to LPG whilst off-grid, I could use Electric for Cooking, Water Heating and partial Room Heating whilst waiting for a replacement to be delivered, so the impact would be pretty minimal.

I had to replace a Truma regulator in my last van when it was only one year old. I got the dealer to send one up to me and fitted it myself. Apparently refillable gas contains more contaminants that cause issues with regulators. Although I use Calor so that was weird. The new van has a duo system, hopefully this will be ok, as replacing this will set me back around £160.

View attachment 129112
I think that's just because someone using refillable is likely to use more gas, I had a Calor bottle with a damaged valve seat, when I turned on the gas oil bubbled out the joint!

Idea of a spare is an interesting one. I thought could be a good idea, but comment from Canalman was very relevant ... 17 years old and only just failed. After changing the regulator, the spare would be age-expired by the time it is likely needed. If (very likely due to age) I change the Regulator, I'd probably keep the one I take out as an interim spare.

In my own Motorhome, if the Regulator were to fail and I lost access to LPG whilst off-grid, I could use Electric for Cooking, Water Heating and partial Room Heating whilst waiting for a replacement to be delivered, so the impact would be pretty minimal.
I would have thought the lifespan would commence on initial use. Unlike hoses were it’s from date of manufacture. But I may well be wrong.

I think that's just because someone using refillable is likely to use more gas, I had a Calor bottle with a damaged valve seat, when I turned on the gas oil bubbled out the joint!
Before refilling a cylinder Calor have a cleaning process they carry out before refilling. Certain converters recommend using filters if using refillable gas. I may be wrong but I think Wildax fit the filters as standard on their PVCs with underslung gas tanks. If I was using refillable gas I would fit a filter.

looking at regulators I saw something interesting ....
You see comments about never using the LPG when driving unless you have a Crash Sensor installed? Seems like a good idea and a useful option? except if you look at the Truma webite you see the following ... "To ensure maximum safety, all Truma gas pressure regulators have an integrated crash sensor.". So easy way to add that if getting a new one?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back