Best type of leisure battery?

Battery chart.
batt levels.jpg

But that is only on standing 30 mins test. Now invertor are about, all that use them are heading south of 11volts = start engine is that not deprived battery
So all depends on the low battery alarm cut off setting and if it works !

Is that why a starter motor clicks and not engaged = low cut off or DoD or has it ouch.

I've used Numax lead acid in both my vans usualy last 5 yrs. 9 mths daily use every 12 mths 120 wat solar top up I don't wait until they fail before changing them
two of these

two of these
Old hat these days, once my old lead acids die im swapping out, they are 10 years old but i dont hammer them, only for lights and fridge plus a we bit of ph charging

Old hat these days, once my old lead acids die im swapping out, they are 10 years old but i dont hammer them, only for lights and fridge plus a we bit of ph charging
You'll never replace them for what they've cost you so why after 10 yrs do you want to upgrade ?
My last 2 cost me £ 150 ish so not bad over 5 yrs

You'll never replace them for what they've cost you so why after 10 yrs do you want to upgrade ?
My last 2 cost me £ 150 ish so not bad over 5 yrs
Mine were if i remember 35 or 40 bucks each, next time will either be lead carbon or lipo4, more likly lead carbons.

Leisure battery on our old Autosleeper accidentally got drained last week.

It’s charged back up OK for now, but probably need to get a new one to be on the safe side.

Any recommendations for a good replacement? 🤔
I had my leisure battery on my tribute 720 motorhome seven years ago at the Lincoln motorhome show. It was really crap so I took it back to the guys that sold it me as there base was only a few miles from the site I was on. They put a Duracell battery in and away I went. Still going strong several years later. Check with Duracell direct as they can send one out to you. Sadly the firm I bought it from stopped trading due to ill health, which is sad, as they also fitted my solar panel and satellite TV dish.

I have 2 new leisure batteries and a recently replaced solar charger unit. Fitted by a caravan service garage from the previous owner
They only last about 40 min if I have only 1 Dow lighter on. Is this normal

I had my leisure battery on my tribute 720 motorhome seven years ago at the Lincoln motorhome show. It was really crap so I took it back to the guys that sold it me as there base was only a few miles from the site I was on. They put a Duracell battery in and away I went. Still going strong several years later. Check with Duracell direct as they can send one out to you. Sadly the firm I bought it from stopped trading due to ill health, which is sad, as they also fitted my solar panel and satellite TV dish.
Thats old hat lead acid, things have moved on and prices are down on moderen batteries.

I have 2 new leisure batteries and a recently replaced solar charger unit. Fitted by a caravan service garage from the previous owner
They only last about 40 min if I have only 1 Dow lighter on. Is this normal
Definitely not right. The batteries are either goosed or they are not getting the required input. Batteries out and tested and voltage checked from solar and onboard charger will be a start.

Cheers

H

Another vote for lead carbon ,can be discharged lower than lead acid 1200 charge cycles 110 amph .downside
£ 180. Less discount Alpha Very heavy , I have one find it very good in winter using blown air heating,
Expedition plus 110

Last edited:
Another vote for lead carbon ,can be discharged lower than lead acid 1200 charge cycles 110 amph .downside
£ 180. Less discount Alpha Very heavy , I have one find it very good in winter using blown air heating,
Expedition plus 110
Its the way to go if you dont want to start changing chargers or solar controllers for those that cannot or dont want to, and may have older vans with split charging old school.

Phew! :eek::eek::eek:😵😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Went to bed tonight and a short while ago became aware of this unusual, very, very faint and muffled, intermittent beeping.
Started to try and track the sound down. Checked all the house alarms, smoke alarms, clocks, phones, kitchen timers, you name it.... no joy. 🤷‍♀️

Finally realised it was coming from outside the house and eventually I tracked it down to the camper.
Dragged a reluctant Neil away from the football(!!) and opened the hab door to an overpowering smell of rotten eggs and a (now pretty loud!) carbon monoxide/gas alarm.

Turns out it was from the duff leisure battery which Neil has had on charge (unbeknownst to me!) for gawd knows how many days since I got back from Harrogate a week Saturday. It was red hot!!! 🔥🫣😬 👿

Neil had now disconnected it and removed it from the van entirely.
He went straight back to the football - as all you folk who are obsessed with such things do 😝 - while I recovered from the shock of what could have been a close shave....? 🫨🥴

I'm pretty ignorant on the subject of batteries generally, so I googled "rotten egg smell" and "batteries" straight away:-

"When a battery is overcharged, it can cause gases that escape, and the sulfur in the battery emits a rotten egg smell. An overcharged battery is not only smelly but can also be dangerous due to the risk of leaking acid, not to mention the risk of explosion from hydrogen gas."

One positive is that at least we know the gas detector in the van works effectively!

A second positive is that I actually heard the alarm and possibly avoided a nasty outcome...?

A third positive is that now this duff battery is definitely fried he can't object to me replacing it ! 😊👍

Last edited:
Phew! :eek::eek::eek:😵😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Went to bed tonight and a short while ago became aware of this unusual, very, very faint and muffled, intermittent beeping.
Started to try and track the sound down. Checked all the house alarms, smoke alarms, clocks, phones, kitchen timers, you name it.... no joy. 🤷‍♀️

Finally realised it was coming from outside the house and eventually I tracked it down to the camper.
Dragged a reluctant Neil away from the football(!!) and opened the hab door to an overpowering smell of rotten eggs and a (now pretty loud!) carbon monoxide/gas alarm.

Turns out it was from the duff leisure battery which Neil has had on charge (unbeknownst to me!) for gawd knows how many days since I got back from Harrogate a week Saturday. It was red hot!!! 🔥🫣😬 👿

Neil had now disconnected it and removed it from the van entirely.
He went straight back to the football - as all you folk who are obsessed with such things do 😝 - while I recovered from the shock of what could have been a close shave....? 🫨🥴

I'm pretty ignorant on the subject of batteries generally, so I googled "rotten egg smell" and "batteries" straight away:-

"When a battery is overcharged, it can cause gases that escape, and the sulfur in the battery emits a rotten egg smell. An overcharged battery is not only smelly but can also be dangerous due to the risk of leaking acid, not to mention the risk of explosion from hydrogen gas."

One positive is that at least we know the gas detector in the van works effectively!

A second positive is that I actually heard the alarm and possibly avoided a nasty outcome...?

A third positive is that now this duff battery is definitely fried he can't object to me replacing it ! 😊👍
Happened to me once on a Gwagon and it was red hot when I stopped, did you ever get round to measuring the space required for a new battery? , your hearing must be pretty good though.

A smart charger would have shut down, old constant chargers bu--er batteries.

David (wildebus) has suggested a couple of options for getting hold of a new battery, Alpha batteries, or calling in at Halfords and getting them to replace, both good options.

Just working out which is the best way to go as will be going up to David's later this week (trading a smart phone for a more up-to-date dashboard radio etc! ;)🙏 )

The current burnt out leisure battery seems to be smallish lengthwise? 🤔 🤷‍♀️
It also has some "lugs" near the bottom at either end where the metal plate it sits on clamps onto.

Measurements:-

255mm long
170mm wide
198mm high

Photos:-

IMG_3013.jpg

Lucas 85L 2.jpg

Lucas 85L 3.jpg

Lucas 85L 4.jpg

David (wildebus) has suggested a couple of options for getting hold of a new battery, Alpha batteries, or calling in at Halfords and getting them to replace, both good options.

Just working out which is the best way to go as will be going up to David's later this week (trading a smart phone for a more up-to-date dashboard radio etc! ;)🙏 )

The current burnt out leisure battery seems to be smallish lengthwise? 🤔 🤷‍♀️
It also has some "lugs" near the bottom at either end where the metal plate it sits on clamps onto.

Measurements:-

255mm long
170mm wide
198mm high

Photos:-

View attachment 130986

View attachment 130987

View attachment 130988

View attachment 130989

You are going to struggle to get anything larger than an 85 in at that size. It did look to me like there was possibly a bit more space though if you could change the mounting plate.

Alphas site lists all the measurements below each battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:202)

mark61, winks, kensowerby, alan1958, undertaker, Doigy, helmit, COCKY, guerdeval, saxonborg, Admin, Greengrass, jagmanx, TeamRienza, Ian and Cath, Bouydog, campervanannie, Juliathomas2910, Steve and Julie, jeffmossy, AllanD, zzr1400tim, Tim120, pamjon, shortcircuit, trevskoda, trooper2000, Robmac, regnarts, Budgie, wildebus, number14, clarkpeacock, V1nny, colinm, Alberto, barryd, merl, GMJ, Livotlout, bartman, 1 Cup, chrishunter, ajb70, britcoms, belbri, rugbyken, Mr Pastry, Lee, Charlynch, Neckender, Monkeybrand, alcam, r4dent, RichardHelen262, maingate, Fazerloz, Canalsman, ewen, The laird, TJBi, Okta, flying kipper, Heppy, groyne, witzend, yorkslass, Bat21, mike w, Gerry Attrick, smg, ColmFitz, Bounce, hmssnake, spigot, AndyWill64, Wooie1958, Glandwr, iampatman, Tezza33, Scotia, madtheswine99, alwaysared, Nabsim, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Fisherman, barge1914, Bigshug, Tartarus, ironman, Twithooks, cooperman, Col49, Walter, Ferrari27, stroller, Obanboy666, Bilw, KevinW, chas142, Owlhouse, grobpilot, Rong, davef, chrisjanvan, marchhare, MadRssss, Happywagon, teckguy, Drover, exwindsurfer, andyjanet, shaunr68, Rumour, molly 2, Adriafan, Moocher, jacquigem, cornish hymer, BarryNo1, MJK, nitkn, Boris7, murfyxt, KenS, Mike24, Faith shields, Martin1865, Nickrock, Texastom, Harrytherid, Whereisdave, RoadTrek Boy, barrypat, Ian1968, Forcesixwindy, RAW, Rosehip, 1807truckman, NeilyG, johnnygm7lsi, GinaRon, reiverlad, Davethorpeo, marchie, wilsal, davep10000, aross, bjh, calvo, liz, DTF, Apostrophe, SimonM, BigD003, robarnold, Hornet49, Rod, wints, Wully, morsefields, nitram, Philredcar, Fifer, Rivertowy, bunny, prioryi, littlemaisy, skippy, Nigel18, onion, fab Rab, CleverTrevorUK, Juan39, Nomad Nelly, ldvconvoy, RAYPHOTOMAN, roadroamer, Meloc8, RSD7a, polo99, smackaylvit, Mobilvetta, Wardy73, QFour, ruddock, bnb080, mayojs, Geek, Wightman, Mikecoo, dsw, rjmurchie, robertd, Ram Jam, slade, trevexess, Daz Newcastle, Jgwhitt, sinner, mr. badolki, TeamPuffin,
Back