Battery Type

drewdt3

I am about to buy a new battery or 2, can anyone tell me if this has to be a sealed battery as it is going under my drivers seat or can it be otherwise?

Cheers

Drew

It does not need to be sealed. They should come with a vent tube which you would take through the floor to allow the gas created when charging to dissipate to free air

If it isn't the sealed type then make sure to ask for a vent tube, I have found they usually have them with an elbow to fit into the side of the battery but don't give you one unless you ask. You should then make sure that the pipe vents to the outside.

Dont buy cheap car batteries, they wont last, buy good leisure batteries, worth it in the long run.

Peter

Dont buy cheap car batteries, they wont last, buy good leisure batteries, worth it in the long run.

Peter

there is no such thing as leisure batteries they are just rebadged starter batteries with a price to match. i have been useing 2 lorry batteries for over 6 years now without any problems don't be conned by the word leisure.

Gordon, can you substantiate your assertion or is it an opinion?

Dont see the point in manufacturers using a different manufacturing method for a battery to work differently when all they need to do is change the badge, so you must no something different????

Gordon, can you substantiate your assertion or is it an opinion?

Dont see the point in manufacturers using a different manufacturing method for a battery to work differently when all they need to do is change the badge, so you must no something different????

even if it's an opinion then i support him as i too have a starter battery as a leisure battery no problems and have done for many yrs:).

Ecosol batteries are supposed to be ok to use as a starter batteries according to their literature but they are more expensive & carry a 5 year guarantee. I was given to understand that leisure batteries have more & thinner plates allowing them to discharge more, but if used as a starter battery the plates can buckle. A starter battery is able to heavy loads for a short time but don't last well when discharged too much.

In the past I have used all sorts of batteries & they will all work, but now I would tend to go for a reasonable quality leisure battery than using an engine one or one of the cheap leisure ones.

Are we being pedantic Paul? There is an obvious technical difference between a "lorry" battery and what is termed a "leisure" battery used in MHs. You may well be correct in your link, which I have not read, but my point was more about the suggestion that it was just a re-badging con.

There is an obvious technical difference between a "lorry" battery and what is termed a "leisure" battery used in MHs
But isn't that the point! If you read the link it will tell you "leisure battery" doesn't mean a thing! To be deep cycle it has to be a traction battery and they are too expensive. I believe they are only used where the expense can be justified! And some batteries claim that they are leisure batteries and can be used to start an engine, which due to the currents required for each task makes it impossible. This is a dead give away and indicates that they are only starter batteries re-badged! IMHO.

I will be honest, I have not read the article as it appeared very long and too technical.

So what you are saying is that a leisure battery is constructed no different to a starter battery even although it has thinner plates etc, etc

IMHO I do not think so, as we are in a commercial world and a con like that would be easily exposed and manipulated for commercial gain

I will be honest, I have not read the article as it appeared very long and too technical.
Well there's the problem!

So what you are saying is that a leisure battery is constructed no different to a starter battery even although it has thinner plates etc, etc
There is no such thing as a leisure battery! Manufactures may say they have thicker plates etc, but it has virtually no effect! They may produce graphs to support their claims of charging, dis-discharging, cycles etc, but they are selective portions of the graph and do not showing the full graph. Figures if used in a certain way can give the desired results! Anyhow the amount of people on this site alone that are happy to use starter batteries is evidence enough to use them. I suspect it is the way that they are treated that makes them possible.

IMHO I do not think so, as we are in a commercial world and a con like that would be easily exposed and manipulated for commercial gain
But as we are seeing currently people can be manipulated to go into an illegal war in Iraq, so leisure batteries is childs play.

Last edited:
Well there's the problem!

There is no such thing as a leisure battery! Manufactures may say they have thicker plates etc, but it has virtually no effect! They may produce graphs to support their claims of charging, dis-discharging, cycles etc, but they are selective portions of the graph and do not showing the full graph. Figures if used in a certain way can give the desired results! Anyhow the amount of people on this site alone that are happy to use starter batteries is evidence enough to use them. I suspect it is the way that they are treated that makes them this possible.

But as we are seeing currently people can be manipulated to go into an illegal war in Iraq, so leisure batteries is childs play.

And statements like that tend to blow any pretence of your ability to think impartially.:rolleyes:

I think virtually any type of battery is suitable as a leisure battery.

The people with coachbuilts and van conversions do not seem to have such very strong views.

I believe the root of the problem is with charging systems which are too severe for any battery. Members on here have stated that they can fully charge a battery in an hour at the rate of 60 to 80 amps. One member has fitted a second alternator, which typically will give out at least 90 amps.

Deep discharges coupled with fast recharging is the reason for battery problems.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back