Bad wilding behaviour.

That reminds me of an experience we had. A number of years ago we were wilding on the NC500, long before it get named and became popular. You could drive all day and not see another van. Anyway, we stopped for the night in a big area where in daytime, the coaches would pull in, disgorge a load of tourists with cameras who would take some snaps, get back onboard and carry on. So basically, a pretty huge area.

Anyway, we were settling down when there was a knock on the door. The guy said 'I hope you don't mind me saying, but that spot you are in is where I normally spend the night'. We looked at each other with that 'really?' expression on our faces. Then he explained, over the years he had worked out that was the only place he got TV reception, so in spite of it being a huge area he was going to park really close to us but wanted to tell us why so we didn't think he was weird.

But what was a bit weird was that at the end of that trip, we decided to spend a couple of nights at the caravan club in Killin. It was the last weekend of the season, and maybe the dates in their book had been wrong but we arrived on the Friday and we were the only people on the whole site. On the Saturday just one other unit arrived. And pitched up right next to us.
Seriously... Don't get me started on folks on sites...

Few years back in the transit...
Landed at Durness and Sango sands (lovely spot out of season)
For a night of showers/laundry etc etc...

Pulled onto site and paid at reception and drove past a neat line of mohos on hook ups looking like a motorhome dealers forecourt....

Down the the farest end away for all and sundry.. Seat spun and beer opened etc

And motorhome pulls up next to us (close enough for me not to be able to open the door)

Me puts beer down and moves...
To have the same thing happen again...

And again

And again...

Eventually parked up in a spot where we were basically surrounded by slope, only the have the afore mentioned moho head off up to the furthest away spot from anyone or anything and so far back they only had a view of a line of mohos...

Honestly.... They walk amongst us... They really do.

We parked up in the Aberlady poi carpark. (East Lothian)
We arrived at about 9AM and we were alone.
The first photo shows what we came back to after a three hour walk.
We could not have got out if we wanted to.
But thankfully we were alone that night.
The second photo was taken that night.
07C2BF77-BD45-450A-8AE6-104FF5062D2D.jpeg
B5B455A3-6A29-495C-B148-2648D33E12C6.jpeg
night.

Pulled onto site and paid at reception and drove past a neat line of mohos on hook ups looking like a motorhome dealers forecourt....

And motorhome pulls up next to us (close enough for me not to be able to open the door)

And again

And again...

Eventually parked up in a spot where we were basically surrounded by slope, only the have the afore mentioned moho head off up to the furthest away spot from anyone or anything and so far back they only had a view of a line of mohos...

Possibly it was the beer that attracted them :)

There you go, and you even offer a fine selection.
No wonder you had so many close callers.
maybe better to drink it out of a coffee mug next time :ROFLMAO:

Anything will be worth a try....

I swear I don't know what it is BUT it's every time...
I'm not a people person at the best of times BUT....

We parked up in the Aberlady poi carpark. (East Lothian)
We arrived at about 9AM and we were alone.
The first photo shows what we came back to after a three hour walk.
We could not have got out if we wanted to.
But thankfully we were alone that night.
The second photo was taken that night.View attachment 112331View attachment 112332 night.
Did you pay a visit to the mini sub at low tide, Bill?

Anything will be worth a try....

I swear I don't know what it is BUT it's every time...
I'm not a people person at the best of times BUT....
We’re all different. That’s what makes us interesting.

I have met some good people out in the van, but I have met one or two I wish I hadn’t. Met a guy up in Morvich in 2017 who had a Moho here and one in New Zealand. He spent 6 months here and six months there. That guy taught me so much about what we do, and we still communicate. If we ever head for kiwi land, we have a Moho to use. (y)

Something not mentioned much. Prior to the formation of Northern Ireland Churchill had the navy on standbye at Lamlash ready to enforce the agreement if needed. But when you look at how well protected the bay is due to the Holy Isle you can see why it was used. I have twice went to the top of the Holy Isle on the Mullach Mor, the views from up there are outstanding. In the 70s I was left stranded on the Holy Isle. A local from Lamlash offered to take me over in his rowing boat, only to forget all about coming back for me. It was uninhabited then, so I thought I was on my own, no mobile phones then.
Anyway I was putting up my tent when I heard footsteps in the sand, it was the lighthouse Keeper who had spotted me. Well I spent the night at the lighthouse. Next morning he radioed the shore. He had just finished when the guy who had taken me over turned up full of apologies.

Here are two shots taken in Lamlash bay.View attachment 112300View attachment 112299
Did you know that N Ireland was part of the republic for one day before Carson pulled us out, close shave LOL.

And again

And again...

Reminds me of a spot in the French Alps about 4000 ft up just south of lake Leman. Up in the ski resorts I found a huge piece of land just off one of the lesser known passes. Great scenery, very quiet but I knew I wouldn't have it to myself for long. Must have been several acres of space. Maybe room for two or three hundred vans. In they started to trot. About half a dozen in the end but they all parked right next to us. :(

Nice wee article on Arran Barry

I wonder if the Germans read that as the place is full of Germans and German motorhomes and a few German Tuggers.

Arran however doesn't need more tourists, it needs more staff which ultimately means retaining young people. It's a dying island in decline as a result. I wonder how the others are fairing. Without people to run the eateries, hotels and other businesses that cater for tourists half the places we knew have either shut down or are on greatly reduced hours. There will be a tipping point.

I wonder if the Germans read that as the place is full of Germans and German motorhomes and a few German Tuggers.

Arran however doesn't need more tourists, it needs more staff which ultimately means retaining young people. It's a dying island in decline as a result. I wonder how the others are fairing. Without people to run the eateries, hotels and other businesses that cater for tourists half the places we knew have either shut down or are on greatly reduced hours. There will be a tipping point.
To many holiday homes, and high house prices to blame.
Auchrannie have built accommodation for their workers to deal with the issue.

Strangely never been to Arran. When I was still on business dealt with some of th businesses there . Beer , whisky etc .
They marketed their island really well and I always assumed the place thrived .
Staffing is a huge problem everywhere and , I suppose, even worse on an island

To many holiday homes, and high house prices to blame.
Auchrannie have built accommodation for their workers to deal with the issue.

According to the local Facebook group the large RV motorhome you might find in the Ormidale car park or the rough car park opposite the museum is occupied with hotel staff. It seems to move from one to the other. Never know what to believe on there though.

Perhaps the youngsters also have more choices now on the mainland I dont know but it's a serious problem. Even the Laundry we used in lamlash has shut down. The good news is the Chinese has reopened in Brodick and is half decent.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back