Bad wilding behaviour.

Haha! I just wanna know if Fisherman Bill has good stocks of Scottish medicine (malt whisky) on board, otherwise I want nothing to do with him. 😎
Sorry Barry missed that one. Don't drink the dam stuff, us intileuals tipes much prefer vino 🍷🍷

Ye canny whack a gid Campo Veigio ;)

Sorry Barry missed that one. Don't drink the dam stuff, us intileuals tipes much prefer vino 🍷🍷

Ye canny whack a gid Campo Veigio ;)
Oh I'll drink both.

Arrived at the end point at Lamlash an hour ago. No sign of any junk left I can see so presumably they cleared up after themselves.

Just us and a few cars here for now. I said I wouldn't stop if there was already one van here. This is my dilemma with wilding spots you share with cars. If they are taken up with motorhomers I'll move on so as not to take up all the space but we are often first here. So what do you do when they all pile in later? Maybe I'm over thinking it. :D

Stunning day here today but the forecast ahead dont look so good.

@barryd anf @Fisherman, sounds like you two could do with what3words lol good job it’s a small island and not the mainland 😂😂😂

If you are there with no other vans and you like it why move Barry? Doubt they would fit more than one car if you move so long as not dude on

@barryd anf @Fisherman, sounds like you two could do with what3words lol good job it’s a small island and not the mainland 😂😂😂

If you are there with no other vans and you like it why move Barry? Doubt they would fit more than one car if you moved so long as you aren’t parked side on

If you are there with no other vans and you like it why move Barry? Doubt they would fit more than one car if you moved so long as you aren’t parked side on
Barry has been there that long he is council tax band D now :ROFLMAO:

Nah we are tucked away reversed in as close to the fence as possible. All the cars have gone. Just us here but that will no doubt change. Over at Corrie now looking for Dolphins. Someone posted a video of the pod I spotted in Brodick bay. Reckoned there was hundreds. I'll see if I can post it if I get a better connection.

Don't know if this will work as I nicked it off the FB group which isn't shared and stuck it on YouTube but the suns so bright here and I'm on my phone outside so can't really make it out.

Apparently the bay was like a Jacuzzi. Still nothing here at Corrie. You can guarantee as soon as we clear off they will appear! :D

Oh I'll drink both.

Arrived at the end point at Lamlash an hour ago. No sign of any junk left I can see so presumably they cleared up after themselves.

Just us and a few cars here for now. I said I wouldn't stop if there was already one van here. This is my dilemma with wilding spots you share with cars. If they are taken up with motorhomers I'll move on so as not to take up all the space but we are often first here. So what do you do when they all pile in later? Maybe I'm over thinking it. :D

Stunning day here today but the forecast ahead dont look so good.
The amount of places I've pulled up AND then moved on...
Because I don't want to intrude on someone else's Solitude
And I don't want to make the place like a caravan park....

Sadly often don't get the same consideration back...
And it feels crappy when you wake to a campsite after parking up alone... As it feels like adding to the problem.

Maybe vans need to display a clock so everyone knows who parked up after who lol

Nah we are tucked away reversed in as close to the fence as possible. All the cars have gone. Just us here but that will no doubt change. Over at Corrie now looking for Dolphins. Someone posted a video of the pod I spotted in Brodick bay. Reckoned there was hundreds. I'll see if I can post it if I get a better connection.

Ahhhh Marganaheglish at Kerr point, hope to be there next week.
Its my favourite part of the island, but the carpark is small 4-5 vans and it’s full.
If I am parked there and not moving that day I tell the cars to park behind me. But I have turned up and it’s empty, then an hour or so later it’s full. Some of the houses along the front are special, and what a view of the holy isle. Enjoy.

Ahhhh Marganaheglish at Kerr point, hope to be there next week.
Its my favourite part of the island, but the carpark is small 4-5 vans and it’s full.
If I am parked there and not moving that day I tell the cars to park behind me. But I have turned up and it’s empty, then an hour or so later it’s full. Some of the houses along the front are special, and what a view of the holy isle. Enjoy.

We got back to the van early evening expecting a campsite but amazingly apart from one car that pulled in about 7pm to walk a dog we have it to ourselves. Pleased about that as it is kind of special when you have it to yourself and it won't piss of the dog walkers and hikers in the morning. Will probably stay tomorrow then head over to the west. Forecast for the weekend looks grim though so not sure what we will do Saturday.

We got back to the van early evening expecting a campsite but amazingly apart from one car that pulled in about 7pm to walk a dog we have it to ourselves. Pleased about that as it is kind of special when you have it to yourself and it won't piss of the dog walkers and hikers in the morning. Will probably stay tomorrow then head over to the west. Forecast for the weekend looks grim though so not sure what we will do Saturday.
Lucky old you Barry, its a great spot to spend the night.

Lucky old you Barry, its a great spot to spend the night.

Cant believe im out cycling at stupid o clock (8am). That's the middle of the night for me normally.

Only drawback of that spot is the mobile signal is dire and no WiFi. They should sort that out. 🤣

Cant believe im out cycling at stupid o clock (8am). That's the middle of the night for me normally.

Only drawback of that spot is the mobile signal is dire and no WiFi. They should sort that out. 🤣
Yes but the tv signal is amazing over 240 channels. You will find that EE works best there and throughout the island. If you want to make a call the old look out point about 600 yards towards Brodick normally works on any network. Did you know that Lamlash Bay was a Royal Navy base during both world wars. The two look out points being almost all that’s left, one sadly now falling apart.

Here’s some interesting reading for you when the weather turns.

Yes but the tv signal is amazing over 240 channels. You will find that EE works best there and throughout the island. If you want to make a call the old look out point about 600 yards towards Brodick normally works on any network. Did you know that Lamlash Bay was a Royal Navy base during both world wars. The two look out points being almost all that’s left, one sadly now falling apart.

Here’s some interesting reading for you when the weather turns.

I think I had heard that about the bay in WW2. I had a pal years ago that was a submarine commander. I remember him telling me about it but will enjoy reading that.

I almost bought an EE sim but was glad I never bothered as my new phone has been way better than the old one last year. Just not right here, although I'm still managing to post now and again and 2g works for calls.

Very interesting read Bill. I didn't know about the old harbour which can be seen from low tide. Will look out for that. The Glen Isle hotel who provided the info was one of the first places I took Michelle when we first met. Stayed there many times. I remember a rather boisterous Hogmanay there about twenty years ago that went on for two days. :D

Something not mentioned much. Prior to the formation of Northern Ireland Churchill had the navy on standbye at Lamlash ready to enforce the agreement if needed. But when you look at how well protected the bay is due to the Holy Isle you can see why it was used. I have twice went to the top of the Holy Isle on the Mullach Mor, the views from up there are outstanding. In the 70s I was left stranded on the Holy Isle. A local from Lamlash offered to take me over in his rowing boat, only to forget all about coming back for me. It was uninhabited then, so I thought I was on my own, no mobile phones then.
Anyway I was putting up my tent when I heard footsteps in the sand, it was the lighthouse Keeper who had spotted me. Well I spent the night at the lighthouse. Next morning he radioed the shore. He had just finished when the guy who had taken me over turned up full of apologies.

Here are two shots taken in Lamlash bay.
74888CF2-4568-4495-8B81-7A83AF406F0D.jpeg
A8AB3621-68DC-4C7D-86FA-ECB5D28AD5B2.jpeg

Last edited:
I once climbed Holy Isle. I remember it being pretty steep. A while ago now though. I don't think the ferry is still going over apart from guests at the retreat. Been all over today. Up to Lochranza, cycling twice and swimming off the pier at Lamlash. Now sat watching a glassy sea in Whiting bay.

And it feels crappy when you wake to a campsite after parking up alone...
That reminds me of an experience we had. A number of years ago we were wilding on the NC500, long before it get named and became popular. You could drive all day and not see another van. Anyway, we stopped for the night in a big area where in daytime, the coaches would pull in, disgorge a load of tourists with cameras who would take some snaps, get back onboard and carry on. So basically, a pretty huge area.

Anyway, we were settling down when there was a knock on the door. The guy said 'I hope you don't mind me saying, but that spot you are in is where I normally spend the night'. We looked at each other with that 'really?' expression on our faces. Then he explained, over the years he had worked out that was the only place he got TV reception, so in spite of it being a huge area he was going to park really close to us but wanted to tell us why so we didn't think he was weird.

But what was a bit weird was that at the end of that trip, we decided to spend a couple of nights at the caravan club in Killin. It was the last weekend of the season, and maybe the dates in their book had been wrong but we arrived on the Friday and we were the only people on the whole site. On the Saturday just one other unit arrived. And pitched up right next to us.

That reminds me of an experience we had. A number of years ago we were wilding on the NC500, long before it get named and became popular. You could drive all day and not see another van. Anyway, we stopped for the night in a big area where in daytime, the coaches would pull in, disgorge a load of tourists with cameras who would take some snaps, get back onboard and carry on. So basically, a pretty huge area.

Anyway, we were settling down when there was a knock on the door. The guy said 'I hope you don't mind me saying, but that spot you are in is where I normally spend the night'. We looked at each other with that 'really?' expression on our faces. Then he explained, over the years he had worked out that was the only place he got TV reception, so in spite of it being a huge area he was going to park really close to us but wanted to tell us why so we didn't think he was weird.

But what was a bit weird was that at the end of that trip, we decided to spend a couple of nights at the caravan club in Killin. It was the last weekend of the season, and maybe the dates in their book had been wrong but we arrived on the Friday and we were the only people on the whole site. On the Saturday just one other unit arrived. And pitched up right next to us.
Obviously you are a magnetic 🧲 attraction, Bill. Reverse the poles 😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back