Anyone got a microwave / air fryer combi oven in their van?

Dinosaur! :D

My favourite was the 7400 series and bedtime reading ....
iu
I'm a valve gut David, the 555 is positively futuristic as far as I'm concerned ;)

Dinosaur! :D

My favourite was the 7400 series and bedtime reading ....
iu

I did a bit of that too, but it was a bit boring. Too logical 🤣

Whereas a small thing changing one voltage to another that wasn't the size of a house brick 😱

What's your favourite gate?

Whereas a small thing changing one voltage to another that wasn't the size of a house brick 😱

Well ... the clear answer would have to be the NAND as you can do everything with just NAND if that is all you have. But if you don't have a NAND gate, it all becomes very tricky :oops:

My last use of the NAND logic was a couple of years ago when I was working out my soon-to-be VSDR operation :)
Boolean-Logic-Load-Disconnect.png

that would be an AND gate :p
So if you want an AND gate but all you have is NAND gates, you just chuck your NAND gates in the bin, you now have NNANDs which is in fact ANDs. Bloody dead simple this Boolean logic malarkey eh.
I heard the met office have the world's only supply of possibly gates but that could be just a rumour..... possibly 🤔
On a serious note, a few years ago I had a massive sort out of shite I'd accumulated over the years and found a piece of Vero board with about a dozen 16 pin 74 series ICs from my Disco days when I was a teenager it was almost certainly a DIY light sequencer of some sort that I'd made. I flipped it over and everything had been hooked up with 26guage hook up wire, there were so many links the wires had formed a layer about half an inch thick! It must have took me ages, wish I'd saved it now just for a chuckle.

So if you want an AND gate but all you have is NAND gates, you just chuck your NAND gates in the bin, you now have NNANDs which is in fact ANDs. Bloody dead simple this Boolean logic malarkey eh.
Absolutely correct. That is why the NAND gate is king :D With a NAND you don't NEED any other gate (other gates will simplify the circuit of course, but are not an absolute)

I heard the met office have the world's only supply of possibly gates but that could be just a rumour..... possibly 🤔
On a serious note, a few years ago I had a massive sort out of shite I'd accumulated over the years and found a piece of Vero board with about a dozen 16 pin 74 series ICs from my Disco days when I was a teenager it was almost certainly a DIY light sequencer of some sort that I'd made. I flipped it over and everything had been hooked up with 26guage hook up wire, there were so many links the wires had formed a layer about half an inch thick! It must have took me ages, wish I'd saved it now just for a chuckle.
Sounds ok (y)
My first 'proper' job was as a bench engineer for Prime Computer, repairing the computer boards (just to give the youngsters or newish to computers an idea, the Prime Mini-Computers of the time had multiple boards that would slide into a backplace that went into a 19" wide rack, and were 16 and 32 bit, with upto 11 boards making up the computer and ran at upto a mindblowing 25MHz. A Prime Mini of that time would take up a space two foot wide, 6 foot high (including the 1 or 2MB of storage) and have less computing power than your Apple watch has today.
They didn't have PCBs on these computers, they had wire-wrap boards kind of what you are describing but rather more complex. This is not a Prime board, but an example of a typical wire-wrap board ....
iu

It was fun trying to trace stuff. My main board to repair was the "VCP" - the Virtual Control Panel - which replaced the 16 switches that you would previous have had to key in the bootstrap start-up sequence (as in 'booting the computer' or pulling it up by its bootstraps :) ) . Interesting job (if you are that way inclined ;) ) as would have the oscilloscope and wiring diagram on the bench and write little 'noddy' programs to exercise different aspects of the board to find the fault.

It was fun trying to trace stuff
Christ, you're not kidding! Never seen those boards before, as Greg Wallace would say.... Amazing 😵‍💫
I thought the rope core memory banks from the 70s were intricate but that looks a nightmare!
They are really interesting, each bit of information was held in a tiny metallic ring, the ring could be programmed either 1 or 0 by either magnetising it or not with a loop of wire around it. Ok so far but when the bit (ring) was read by another wire, it's information was lost so it had to be written again (correctly of course) immediately afterwards to retain the data.
Can you imagine relying on that to take you to the moon 😵‍💫

Christ, you're not kidding! Never seen those boards before, as Greg Wallace would say.... Amazing 😵‍💫
I thought the rope core memory banks from the 70s were intricate but that looks a nightmare!
They are really interesting, each bit of information was held in a tiny metallic ring, the ring could be programmed either 1 or 0 by either magnetising it or not with a loop of wire around it. Ok so far but when the bit (ring) was read by another wire, it's information was lost so it had to be written again (correctly of course) immediately afterwards to retain the data.

Can you imagine relying on that to take you to the moon 😵‍💫
And an oft-quoted comment you hear is that "we" no longer have the technology to go to the moon. got to say I really don't understand that :unsure:

(for example - https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/blo...n-here-s-why-we-can-t-do-that-today-1.4397053)

I've been drinking and haven't read all of that, but you're wrong lol.

XOR is best gate.

You can have two 500GB (1TB total storage) drives in a RAID configuration with just 1 more 500GB drive to cover total failure of 1 of any 3 drives.

That's just Magic.

Or, an XOR function 😎

So what has the picture of carpet got to do with gates ?. Only a few of us has airfryer and or pop I ty pins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_121008_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_121008_Google.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 25
Soooo, after much searching it seems a microwave with an air fryer function isn't easy to achieve, Toshiba used to do 3 models but they no longer class 2 of them as 'air fryer' and now call them 'grill' oven, must be something to do with the trades description act! The only Toshiba model left is a whopping 2700W so too much for off grid.
After talking to Bigshug I decided to get the same as him, Russel Hobbs combi oven, it claims the air fryer function and the cooking times and reviews seem to reflect that, it can be used as an ordinary oven/grill (I guess without the fan?)
Managed to pick one up cheap on Ebay via auction for just over £45 :whistle:
I'll add some piccies when I've got the old crappy gas oven out and the new one installed. 🤞

And an oft-quoted comment you hear is that "we" no longer have the technology to go to the moon. got to say I really don't understand that :unsure:

(for example - https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/blo...n-here-s-why-we-can-t-do-that-today-1.4397053)
As Max Boyce sang on 'Morgan the Moon', the Americans claim to be the first to have landed a Man on the Moon, which is not quite true. The Welsh were the first; the Americans were first to land a Man on the Moon AND get him back ... :ROFLMAO: And he claims that the Moon is made of cheese - Caerphilly ...

Steve

My favorite gate was the air intake gate main gate normally less dust
Need to have worked down pit to understand

Back