Another satisfied C&MC member

Fisherman

1CDC2A55-672C-4ADB-B358-F093879EDC43.jpeg

Last year we were heading to the NEC for the show.
Two days before leaving I had a family crisis to attend to.
I had booked overnight accommodation with Travelodge.
I contacted them and rescheduled the stay no problems with no charge, apart from an additional £10 as the room was expensive more on a Friday.
When I got to the NEC I realised that my ticket date was wrong, they issued me a new ticket free of charge. Now I am not a member of Travelodge or the NEC, but I am a member of the C&MC. For how much longer I don’t know.

They could so easily make a charge just for persistent offenders. X number of cancellations or changes within Y period of time could incur a penalty, anything less than that could accepted as unavoidable and the charge could be waived.

You cant have it both ways though. I seem to remember one of the main gripes about the club in the past was members complaining that selfish members were block booking loads of sites and dates and then just cancelling last minute and choosing the one they decided to go to.

Are membership numbers published anywhere for either of the 2 big clubs?

Suspect one is in decline and the other on an uptick.

On the other hand if CAMC membership is still on a rising trend then they will believe that their members approve of all the booking changes and increased site fees. Numbers could of course simply be rising because of the recent boom of camping in a box and the CAMC is the first port of call for newbies who know no different.

You cant have it both ways though. I seem to remember one of the main gripes about the club in the past was members complaining that selfish members were block booking loads of sites and dates and then just cancelling last minute and choosing the one they decided to go to.
Who’s asking for it both ways Barry. A 21 day notice period is scandalous. And this guy did not want to cancel the booking, he wanted to reschedule his booking. I agree the previous system was a joke, but this clearly is another way for this lot to screw people. A lot can happen within 21 days and many genuine cases will be treated poorly like this one. As others have pointed out there were other options, trust this mob to take one that involves them making more money, no surprises there then. I can only hope that those who are treated like this leave them, I would.

Fair comment. It did annoy me in the past when I wanted to block book a week somewhere but couldn’t due to weekends being full, only to discover that within 2 or 3 days of that same weekend pitches became available.

The issue with the CAMC is its very poor implementation of the changes.

Who’s asking for it both ways Barry. A 21 day notice period is scandalous. And this guy did not want to cancel the booking, he wanted to reschedule his booking. I agree the previous system was a joke, but this clearly is another way for this lot to screw people. A lot can happen within 21 days and many genuine cases will be treated poorly like this one. As others have pointed out there were other options, trust this mob to take one that involves them making more money, no surprises there then. I can only hope that those who are treated like this leave them, I would.

Well their members asked for it I seem to remember as said. On the odd occasion I used to visit their forum or if I was really desperate read the magazine for a laugh they were often banging on about it. Seems a bit excessive perhaps but at least they did something about it and presumably the members were made aware of the new rules?

Not that it would ever affect me as I only ever use the CL sites who I notice on some of them they now also require payment up front. Not the ones I generally use though.

How much!!!!!!
Taken from a chausson site....

Hi all… am I so out of touch? Have just booked 3nights at CAMC site just outside Cambridge for beginning of April… £42 per night.. never in 10 years have I paid so much! Thought the email was a miss print until I rang to check.
Palace Hotel in Buxton £45 / night.
Getting to old for this!! 😳

We've been members for 3 years now and have yet to stay on one of their sites as they're ridiculously expensive (and from what I read far from friendly). We only keep our membership for the certificated sites.
I’ve always found both main clubs very friendly and helpful, especially the wardens. The CMC often costs more than the CCC. Whether it’s ‘ridiculously expensive’ is rather subjective.

How much!!!!!!

Hi all… am I so out of touch? Have just booked 3nights at CAMC site just outside Cambridge for beginning of April… £42 per night.. never in 10 years have I paid so much! Thought the email was a miss print until I rang to check.
What type of pitch and how many people was that for? I’m seeing it a lot less.

Thats true but all they needed to do was make it impossible to book more than one site for the same dates.SImple.

Last edited:
How much!!!!!!

Is that Easter by any chance?

Gordon

Members were booking lots of different sites throughout the year, knowing they could cancel with impunity at very short notice. Glad to say that’s now not possible.
I totally agree, and I have no doubt the author of the letter would agree with your comments. And I to am glad the practice of booking sites then cancelling Willy Nilly has been stopped. By why not have a shorter cancellation period say 7 days, and in the case of the complainant, he was not wishing to cancel but reschedule. Also they must have known the culprits, any decent database would enable them to highlight these individuals. Although the vast majority wanted change, I doubt if they foresaw such a draconian system being brought in. I reckon the author of the letter has been treated poorly.
Also I would have thought that having to pay a £25 deposit per booking would have significantly reduced this practice.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back