Another satisfied C&MC member

I'm a bit curious .... are there actually any members of the C&MC who actually like it?

As mentioned before, I started the process of joining a few years ago but stumbled due to their membership criteria. sounds like I definately had a lucky escape!

The CL's are brilliant although many of them are being encouraged by the club to go up market. I just seek out the rough and ready farmers fields with a tap but they are becoming less common sadly. I know where they all are though. :cool:

I'm a bit curious .... are there actually any members of the C&MC who actually like it?

As mentioned before, I started the process of joining a few years ago but stumbled due to their membership criteria. sounds like I definately had a lucky escape!
6 years a go it wasn't that bad, about £40 for membership that got you thousands of cl sites.
The bit that done if for us was when we took the grandchildren to a club site... we got told when filling water from a tap.....and I kid you not..
THAT WATER IS FOR CARAVANS ONLY YOU CAN'T HAVE IT
We have a motorhome.
I keep forgetting to cancel the membership but this thread has reminded me.

A friend who was a warden at another site quit due to the head office management.

My attitude here is possibly naive, but simple.
If I go to an independent site, I don’t expect to be treated as anything more than a customer. This could be my first and last dealings with this independent site, they don’t know me from Adam. But when I join a club and pay an annual subscription, I expect to be treated as a member. And members have history, the club can easily observe the behaviour of their members, and show some discretion when dealing with them, independent sites can’t.

Now look at the letter I posted on post one. This man had never cancelled a booking in 18 years of membership, and all he wanted to do was reschedule, not cancel. Sorry but all the C&MC see here is a pound sign, a way of screwing this member for more money. They could have and should have taken their members history, and the fact that he was rescheduling into consideration, but they did not. But it’s backfired, he is now quite rightly leaving them, and not only that he has had a letter posted for thousands of other members to read. How is any of this good for the C&MC or the member.
I find it hard to describe the C&MH business as a Club. It is no more than a company which provides accommodation for people using caravans and motorhomes, and customers have to pay a 'membership' fee before they can make a purchase.

I find it hard to describe the C&MH business as a Club. It is no more than a company which provides accommodation for people using caravans and motorhomes, and customers have to pay a 'membership' fee before they can make a purchase.
And whilst pretending to promote a club culture, thats exactly how they see us.
But there are other issues which stem from how they were originally set up.
They seem to think that they can continue like nothing is changing, with a clear bias towards caravans.
by 2030 we will outnumber caravans.

But the fact is they have much more information on you than a normal company would have.
They know where you have been, if you have cancelled regularly etc.
This type of information could be used to apply common sense and greater lattitude when dealing with people.

The bit that done if for us was when we took the grandchildren to a club site... we got told when filling water from a tap.....and I kid you not..
THAT WATER IS FOR CARAVANS ONLY YOU CAN'T HAVE IT
We have a motorhome.

Sorry, but I don't totally understand this. Were you paying to stay on the site? Is your story like mine?

I filled up with water at a "service point" at CAMC Abbey Woods and was told that I should be using the MOTORHOME service point, which was at the far end of the site. I asked why and was told that the area around the service point wasn't designed for the weight of a motorhome AND if I parked on the roadway to use a long-enough hose, then I would be blocking a through route.
I pointed out that a car and caravan filling at the service point would also be blocking the road but it was "mansplained" to me that caravans used aquarolls (or similar) then pump it into their inbuilt tank if they had one. So that isn't what they would do. I asked if that was checked but I was "assured" that caravaners wouldn't do it.
I wasn't prepared to drive down the hill, fill up and then come back up to my pitch. As I was already full, I simply topped up using plastic bottles from the "caravan tap".

I was also told I shouldn't be dropping grey waste at the service point; fortunately they did have excellent facilities at the MH point and my tank held sufficient for the length of time that I was there.

Gordon

Yes we do :)

We have found that their sites are in good condition, consistent in presentation and in places that we like to visit. We have ground site staff to be unfailingly polite and helpful if not a bit officious at times (but I'm guessing much of that comes from pressure from above). In fact on one site earlier this year a site chap put us on a fully serviced pitch rather than a standard one due to the length of our unit...at no extra cost!

I don't like the new booking arrangements as I have mentioned and their failure to stop multi bookings is laughable however we will continue to stay as members. We use the Cirencester site a good deal as we used to live in Ciren so vist friends and family up there. We also use the Black Horse site at Folkestone too as a base for crossing the Channel. This year we will be trying the Abbey Wood site in London as we are venturing up there in June for a few days in the smoke.

I cancelled our CCC membership after 8 years as we hadn't used their sites for at least 4 years mainly due to their policy of not allowing 1 night bookings (or at least on the sites that I tried to book). Aside from that we liked the CCC as well.

Yes we do :)

We have found that their sites are in good condition, consistent in presentation and in places that we like to visit. We have ground site staff to be unfailingly polite and helpful if not a bit officious at times (but I'm guessing much of that comes from pressure from above). In fact on one site earlier this year a site chap put us on a fully serviced pitch rather than a standard one due to the length of our unit...at no extra cost!

I don't like the new booking arrangements as I have mentioned and their failure to stop multi bookings is laughable however we will continue to stay as members. We use the Cirencester site a good deal as we used to live in Ciren so vist friends and family up there. We also use the Black Horse site at Folkestone too as a base for crossing the Channel. This year we will be trying the Abbey Wood site in London as we are venturing up there in June for a few days in the smoke.

I cancelled our CCC membership after 8 years as we hadn't used their sites for at least 4 years mainly due to their policy of not allowing 1 night bookings (or at least on the sites that I tried to book). Aside from that we liked the CCC as well.
I suppose in many ways that sums up how I feel, I like some of their sites, and I to have found the wardens and most who use the sites helpful and decent folk. I just don't like those who run the club. But we mainly use CCC sites now, we hardly use their sites, and leaving is a possibility. But I won't cut my nose of to spite my face. I have met some really good people on the sites, and I remember well when I first started out getting some very useful tips from a few of them.

Reactions: GMJ
You rather miss the point. My wife is UNABLE to use the site facilities else we would have stayed. In fact she has never used them, ever. Also given her suppressed immunity having no water for hygiene purposes was also a show stopper.

Fortunately the C&MC took a more enlightened view than you and they did have the words to be able to provide a partial refund!
I personally would have refunded you. Having worked for a number of sites it’s often that people want refunds or to move dates. Campsites can not be responsible for your own motorhome failure. I am not disputing disability being disabled myself.

Sorry, but I don't totally understand this. Were you paying to stay on the site? Is your story like mine?

I filled up with water at a "service point" at CAMC Abbey Woods and was told that I should be using the MOTORHOME service point, which was at the far end of the site. I asked why and was told that the area around the service point wasn't designed for the weight of a motorhome AND if I parked on the roadway to use a long-enough hose, then I would be blocking a through route.
I pointed out that a car and caravan filling at the service point would also be blocking the road but it was "mansplained" to me that caravans used aquarolls (or similar) then pump it into their inbuilt tank if they had one. So that isn't what they would do. I asked if that was checked but I was "assured" that caravaners wouldn't do it.
I wasn't prepared to drive down the hill, fill up and then come back up to my pitch. As I was already full, I simply topped up using plastic bottles from the "caravan tap".

I was also told I shouldn't be dropping grey waste at the service point; fortunately they did have excellent facilities at the MH point and my tank held sufficient for the length of time that I was there.

Gordon
Roughly the same. It was a service point. The camp commandant told us to use the motorhome service point at the other end of the site.. I asked him to show us where on their map it was.... he couldn't find it.... but said they had one.... I told him not a lot of good if it's not maked up and not on the map is it..he was very stroppy and complained that our dog was not on a lead.... it was in the motorhome . Him making the point that only caravans could use that water pissed me off.. no mention of a aqua roll or container just it wasn't for motorhomes. I asked for a refund so we could leave but got told NO.

LOL! Yeah it is George and welcome to the site. Ignore all the people in this thread. They are clearly not Rock n Roll enough for this website anymore. I bet they have all been out and bought beige crimplene trousers and net curtains and plant pots for their vans.

Welcome to the forum!!
What possible use would beige crimplene trousers be to a van ?

What possible use would beige crimplene trousers be to a van ?

Its the required dress code for smoozing up to the warden and trying to be their bessy mate so you can write a letter to the club mag saying how great the wardens are. The net curtains are for spying on lowlife motorhomers who might use the wrong tap.

Am I missing something here. I joined this site as it is called "Wild Camping". Isn't that free?
Nothing wrong with discussing CAMC quirkiness on a wild camping forum. It increases the incentive to wild camp or at the very least search out and promote cheap under a tenner alternatives.

CAMC imply that if you can afford a new caravan or motorhome then you can afford their site fees. What they don’t appreciate is that dealers sell the idea of freedom not chains.

Personally, I use CL's, CS's, Campsites, Pub stops, Friends drives and I wildcamp.

None of the above preclude me being a member of this forum though.
It’s also worth noting that some in this forum for health reasons are unable to use CLS or wild camp. Also some women on their own feel safer in campsites. Also some enjoy the comfort these sites offer particularly after a few days without these comforts, and some folk like to enjoy all that’s on offer. This forum may be named wild camping, but most of the meets arranged are in organised places even fully fledged campsites.

We don't like it either. The administration that is. We do love the cl's though especially the cheaper ones. We need them as on a tight budget but, like barryd, we also love the rough and ready ones with just a tap and disposal and rough grass! The owners are always really nice too.

Roughly the same. It was a service point. The camp commandant told us to use the motorhome service point at the other end of the site.. I asked him to show us where on their map it was.... he couldn't find it.... but said they had one.... I told him not a lot of good if it's not maked up and not on the map is it..he was very stroppy and complained that our dog was not on a lead.... it was in the motorhome . Him making the point that only caravans could use that water pissed me off.. no mention of an aqua roll or container just it wasn't for motorhomes. I asked for a refund so we could leave but got told NO.
He explained it badly. But he had a point and quite correctly said no to a refund.

He explained it badly. But he had a point
He had no point on the motorhome service bay, he neither knew where it was (i suspect he did but wasn't telling us) and the map they provided had no mention of one.
I wrote to the Club (is it still a club?) but got no reply,
We found out a few months later that both sets of wardens had been sacked.
Didn't want to mention that bit as it was only hearsay.

He had no point on the motorhome service bay, he neither knew where it was (i suspect he did but wasn't telling us) and the map they provided had no mention of one.
I wrote to the Club (is it still a club?) but got no reply,
We found out a few months later that both sets of wardens had been sacked.
Didn't want to mention that bit as it was only hearsay.
He has a point. Using the tap you wanted would block the road. Caravanners use aqua rolls. The service point allows you to fill up without blocking the road.

Perfectly reasonable, but badly explained.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back