Always have a stock of these in our van.

We used to get a hamper at Christmas about 40 years ago that was the last time I seen a fray bentos pie or some of that concord plonk we thought we were rich the day the hamper arrived about the 23rd Dec make they wee cheese ham and pickles on toothpicks thought that made us look sophisticated by Boxing Day you were down to a packet of ritz for a starter then a Can of dax ham for main cours and some angel delight for desert them were the days..

We used to get a hamper at Christmas about 40 years ago that was the last time I seen a fray bentos pie or some of that concord plonk we thought we were rich the day the hamper arrived about the 23rd Dec make they wee cheese ham and pickles on toothpicks thought that made us look sophisticated by Boxing Day you were down to a packet of ritz for a starter then a Can of dax ham for main cours and some angel delight for desert them were the days..

Ah Wully those were the days.
We used to sail over the sea to Rothesay( the only time we saw a seagull then) after taking the steam train from Glasgow central to Weyms Bay. We were happy, content with our bellies full of Frey bentos pies and swan vesta curries. My only surprise Wully is we are still all here to tell the tale.:)

One year we had 3 hampers,i got 1 from work gran got one from church and i won a big hamper in a competition,church one had no booze but 2 i got did,grandad poured all down the drain as he said it was the devils brew,only booze in our house was sheery incase methodist minister came round as they did,amount in a small glass was so small it was not worth talking of,but we all eat well and dressed up as most did for dinner 40 odd years back,and no farting after dinner tut tut.

Ah Wully those were the days.
We used to sail over the sea to Rothesay( the only time we saw a seagull then) after taking the steam train from Glasgow central to Weyms Bay. We were happy, content with our bellies full of Frey bentos pies and swan vesta curries. My only surprise Wully is we are still all here to tell the tale.:)

Wasn't Swan Vesta actually a brand of match? Anyway the reason you're here to
tell the tale could be because what we took to be Vesta dessicated meat was actually
healthy dried goat turds, so we were actually eating an early premade all veggie meal without
realising it.

A fray bentos steak and kidney pie washed down with a sugary bottle of german blue nun. Ah the 70s and 80s, when good taste was ubiquitous :)
The one thing I miss from England here in Scotland is steak and kidney pies from the chippy. Occasionally I have a fray bentos to remind me what I'm missing. Not the best but better than nothing.

The one thing I miss from England here in Scotland is steak and kidney pies from the chippy. Occasionally I have a fray bentos to remind me what I'm missing. Not the best but better than nothing.
Excuse me, but are your telling me that I'm going to a pie free country next week. A rethink may be in order.

As a boy I recall cooking fraybentos in a gallon oil can with side cut open by tin opener then pushed back shut and placed on fire at tunstall beach early 70s

Now who remembers tins of Irish Stew, when you opened the tin there was always a thick layer of fat, however if you weren’t too bothered about taste and consistency then they were ideal for camping when we were kids.

Irish stew was a staple in my lorry driving days. Scraggy lumps of some sort of meat congealed in lump of fat with a bit of potato, but if I couldn't make it to a truck stop it was better than going hungry. I usually have one in the van, but it'll be out of date and thrown away normally.

Irish stew was a staple in my lorry driving days. Scraggy lumps of some sort of meat congealed in lump of fat with a bit of potato, but if I couldn't make it to a truck stop it was better than going hungry. I usually have one in the van, but it'll be out of date and thrown away normally.
Never mind the out of date,food is ok if tin not swollen.
I eat anything, very fond of children.

I always travel with a few packs of these, they take 10 minutes to bake and saves a trip to the shops for fresh bread.
159D4C2D-6865-4643-A66C-9FFDCE8F8CCC.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back