Almost full lockdown coming for a while...

Took dog down beach yesterday lots of cars and people around probably a lot more than a normal winter's day - the problem is nice day everyone is out

Which is fine, as long as everyone stays well away from each other, which they don't always do.

Personally, I think you're more at risk inside. Shopping, or eating & drinking with other folk.

Friend of mine food shops in the middle of the night at her local 24 hour Tesco.
Been doing it right from the beginning, usually between 2-4 am in the morning.

Says it's great as never anyone in apart from the staff, so you have the whole place to yourself.
In and out in a jiffy, job done, next best thing to a home delivery - which she doesn't do and won't ever do as not computer savvy.

I always wear a mask , BUT in reality its equivalent to trying to stop a mosquito by putting up a chain link fence , viruses are very VERY small .

I always wear a mask , BUT in reality its equivalent to trying to stop a mosquito by putting up a chain link fence , viruses are very VERY small .

I'm sure the argument is possibly true, but can you tell me why medical staff bother wearing PPE in that case?

After all, they've been doing it since long before this virus appeared, so there must be a good reason, apart from making money for PPE manufacturers?

Pretty much the long and short of it.
Happy to wear a mask, doesn't bother me at all, I now have more masks than underwear. Other than make my day easier I'm under no illusion they are of much use. I'll have the little bit they may offer though, beyond that I couldn't care less if others wear one.

Pretty much the long and short of it.
Happy to wear a mask, doesn't bother me at all, I now have more masks than underwear. Other than make my day easier I'm under no illusion they are of much use. I'll have the little bit they may offer though, beyond that I couldn't care less if others wear one.

So, the logic following on from that means social distancing is the safest and best (only!) course of action until the majority of us are vaccinated.

Any situation where you have to get closer to others for whatever reason then you need to be wary and wear top quality masks, I guess.

Depends on the mask...
Explain the cold sores nose/ear infections scenario please?
You have to handle the mask and bugs live in your old breath that you leave in it from the last shop, and its in and out of dirty pockets, i have had two lip infections and a nose /ear infection since wearing them, dont bother now.

Not really correct as it will be attached in the main to moisture or mucus droplets which are much larger than the virus itself. The material also inhibits the projectile force and therefore distance of exhaled breath. The effectiveness of various mask materials does vary a lot though. Even the best masks the public wears are not anything like 100% effective but go a long way to inhibit spread. Occupational mask wearing for long durations I suppose could lead to some minor problems, but for the average member of the public it is no more than a minor inconvenience.
In such a serious situation as we find ourselves in I think it is irresponsible to post such dangerous and inaccurate info. as "Masks don't stop the virus." They do.
Think of the poor buggers in the NHS working in PPE all day for long shifts.
They are medical masks and not cloth rags sold in shops, even medical ones dont last more than 20 mins before they start to be ineffective.
You are at more danger with eye nose etc, glasses are a good aid, as for masks, well the vapour comes out round the poor fitting nose section.

You have to handle the mask and bugs live in your old breath that you leave in it from the last shop, and its in and out of dirty pockets, i have had two lip infections and a nose /ear infection since wearing them, dont bother now.

Get some nice silk ones, very comfy.

Get some nice silk ones, very comfy.
What cut up my undies.
Best thing is to keep clear of people and shops as much as possible.
As for telling us to go out for walks, well what about leaving your windows open to let the bugs out, sure then there blowing around outside, never mind the extra heating oil you would go through. 🤔

We have had a text message from our GP practice to say that NHS England now say all non-essential work is now stopped until further notice.

That's the real bugger on top of the virus, Ian.

They're still doing cancer treatments here. I'm due in for my six-monthly, half hour zoledronic acid infusion on 7th January.

Phoned the ward to double check yesterday and they're working as normal - except now down to a mere third of the capacity they had before the virus arrived due to the new C-19 precautions. Unfortunately it's impossible to push out the existing hospital walls to make more room to fit everyone in :confused: 😢

The vaccine program needs to get up to warp speed to prevent further damage, imho.

I don't know how long the masks work for before degrading, but i saw a small clip last week,. someone singing with and without a mask. With the mask very little vapour was visible. Before the new strain was announced i had been going out once a week to the supermarket.....exciting i know :D but wearing three masks ......now back to isolating.

There you go then. Masks must be of some help, even if not perfect. :)
I saw a demo and they only kept the spread back about 1 foot, the spray pattern went more up than out forward, but it was and did escape, so in fact it still spreads.

Must admit I'm really not looking forward to going into hospital for my half hour treatment on the 7th.

There is always a wait before you're admitted, and it never takes just half an hour (well, it should be 40 minutes in total) as the staff are always too few and never have time to stop, even for a pee, poor buggers.

Sooner I'm in, out and on the way home, the happier I'll be. :oops:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back