All electric motorhomes.... Possible or not?

Kia Niro ICE 1930kg + fuel EV 2080kg
Hyundai Ionic ICE 1469kg + fuel EV 1527kg
VW Golf ICE 1624kg + fuel EV 1540kg (but lower range)

Keeping in context with the question, which was

Will van/MH battery banks compared to combustion engines reduce payloads ?

How about some figures for vans?

For example, the electric Renault master has a payload of around 430 KG less than the diesel model of same GVW.

The electric Sprinter loses out on over 500 KG payload over similar diesel model.

The additional weight makes converting a 3500 GVW van a bit tricky.

As far as I am aware, the extension to 4250 GVW for B & B1 licenses on electric & plug in hybrids is only for commercials while working.

Keeping in context with the question, which was

How about some figures for vans?

For example, the electric Renault master has a payload of around 430 KG less than the diesel model of same GVW.

The electric Sprinter loses out on over 500 KG payload over similar diesel model.

The additional weight makes converting a 3500 GVW van a bit tricky.

As far as I am aware, the extension to 4250 GVW for B & B1 licenses on electric & plug in hybrids is only for commercials while working.
Things will change as time goes on and weights may be altered.

I looked to pre order a new electric van it was on the 5ton mark but didn't need a tachograph and didn't require an operator’s licence all a bonus for a small business but range was a big let down they quoted 150 miles but in the real word about 75 to 80 miles and cost nearly 75k. So I opted for a new crafter crew cab tipper diesel at about half cost of an electric van. It’s not quite there for electric vans the the range is the biggest let down but it would take a lifetime to pay back the extra initial outlay for small businesses.

Electric is already here, shocking though that may be (sorry couldn't resist it). So we all need to get used to it and see how to make the best of it. The electricity required can be from batteries or fuel cells. Hydrogen has been mentioned and could be a way forward. Bit of a waste of time for ICE's though as an electric motor is 3 to 4 times more efficient that an ICE. I do about 3.6 to 4 miles per kWh in a Kia eNiro, compared to 0.9 to 1 mile per kWh (42mpg) in my last ICE car a Skoda Yeti. Just use fuel cells with electric motors. This may save some weight, compared to using batteries, although the hydrogen is held at very high pressure in heavy steel tanks. This may be a solution for some Camper vans, especially if you want the benefit from pulling into a fuel station and refilling your energy store relatively quickly. Personally the car I now drive is great for most of my needs, quiet, very powerful, really relaxing driving and charging is easy. I just plug into a domestic 3 pin plug and it takes 2.2kW (10Amp). Yes it takes a long time, but how much time do most people actually drive for and how much time is it doing nothing? We use it at a caravan site and either plug in the caravan or the car, there is more than sufficient power in the caravan battery to cover when the car is on charge. With a MoHo or camper van it would probably need dedicated charging facilities, but these will have to come if they do phase out ICE's. Off grid will be the big problem, not sure how you get round that without hydrogen and a genny! Nearly forgot to mention range! You worry about it at first, but after the first week it no longer mattered!

Folk can shout all they like but piston eng its out and electric is what the world has set about doing, remember steam cars, would you want one now. 🤔

Last edited:
How long before enterprising garages start converting existing setups to electric. Expensive but better than scrapping rig
It must be an option???

So does that mean we should do nothing!! Every little bit we can do to save energy and stop polluting the World will help. We should be setting an example and leading the world. There is a great opportunity here to put some of the Great back into Great Britain. We need to embrace the change and create world beating technologies and manufacturing from this. We lost the lead in manufacturing wind generators, the short sighted feeling at the time being that .."huh, that will not be much of a business, why bother". Look at it now, we lost mega money not supporting it and giving it to others. Lets get ahead while we can.

Last edited:
So does that mean we should do nothing!! Every little bit we can do to save energy and stop polluting the World will help. We should be setting an example and leading the world. There is a great opportunity here to put some of the Great back into Great Britain. We need to embrace the change and create world beating technologies and manufacturing from this. We lost the lead in manufacturing wind generators, the short sighted feeling at the time being that .."huh, that will not be much of a business, why bother". Look at it now, we lost mega money not supporting it and giving it to others. Lets get ahead while we can.
Thank heavens we did not give the plans for spitfire and merlin to germany. :eek:

Fuel stations will be given grants to fit electric charge points, every new station must have them as part of building regs.

Fuel stations will be given grants to fit electric charge points, every new station must have them as part of building regs.
AFAIK no fuel stations are getting grants, if they want to stay in business they need to do it themselves. Shell already own over 135,000 public charge points across europe, but I think the traditional fuel station will be a thing of the past. I can see there being Costa and Starbucks type charging centres, you go to the coffee shop and charge your car.

The government is having an auction end 2021 for new renewable energy, wind farms on and offshore and floating and solar of 12 gw that is double the last one. That will be enough for 20 million electric cars.

The problem with wind and solar is the fuel cost to make them outweighs the return within there lifetime.
That is not what I heard. Do you have reputable up to date evidence? Most mainstream renewables do not need electricity customer subsidy any longer as they are cheaper than fossil fuels. Possibly floating deep water windfarms may need a little, until they too become mainstream.
Windfarm operators say the problem now is reorganising the grid links to take all this new energy and storing for low wind times by: grid links to other geographical wind systems, battery and other energy storage and hydrogen production when the wind is strong

Must admit haven't followed all of this thread so apoligies if its already been dicussed, just wondering if hydrogen being a more realistic option to electric. Maybe even it might be possible to convert conventional engines to run partly or completly on hydrogen. This way the conventional engines can be phased out, also the range which is a big issue is overcome as they can have filling stations. After all they convert engines to run off LPG. Batteries & range will always be the big issue, although motorhomes usually have relativley low mileages many like us do a long trip then stay in one area. A trip down to Spain (hopefully we will still be able to do) can be done in 3 to 5 days would take a few weeks having to spend time re-charging.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back