All electric motorhomes.... Possible or not?

Just a thought crept into my brain reading here. My thought is there will still be diesel available after whatever date they put to change, and my reasoning is agricultural vehicles. Have heard of electric lorries etc, but not heard a thing about tractors? Any thoughts on this?
Electric tractors is I understand a thing. And actaully makes lots of sense. A farm could generate its own solar and the traditional concern for weight doesn't apply for tractors

people will develop electric conversions for any vehicle and a useable electric camper is entirely possible. It depends on what people are willing to pay to initially still be able to take their vehicles into cities and eventually at all.

What do peopel feel they would pay to convert the vehivle they currently have - would folk pay £20k for example ?

people will develop electric conversions for any vehicle and a useable electric camper is entirely possible. It depends on what people are willing to pay to initially still be able to take their vehicles into cities and eventually at all.

What do peopel feel they would pay to convert the vehivle they currently have - would folk pay £20k for example ?

That would be way beyond many people and make driving a privilege for the better off if that was a minimum.

The way of the world I suppose.

Took me 3 years to save for my 10K MH, would I spend 20K to convert it :unsure:

.....er, no

I suspect as Trev says the restrictions as to where you can go with a diesel all over Europe will make life awkward but electric motorhomes will never work for me. When we tour Europe we practically spend most of the summer off grid. Its a none starter. Maybe our next van might well be our last one but it will be a diesel for sure. Of course we tend to use the scooter for touring about on so not being able to go into towns or cities should not be a problem unless of course they start banning scooters also. Cant see that happening anytime soon.
Not sure about the rest of Europe, but currently in France, the Government are aiming to ban sales of new fossil fueled cars by 2040.
At the moment, the government is subsidising the public around €6-7000 towards the purchase of a new EV car up to €45000 and in some cases if you decommission an old car, you could get another €3000.
€12000 off a new car isn’t bad and should be much cheaper than buying a new petrol/diesel car.

On radio a presenter explained the more expensive EV is not a issue for 70% of purchasers. This is because they sign up for a contract that means they don't buy the car and trade in every 3 or 4 years and continue payments. He gave example of a model ( I can't remember) that petrol or EV are the same payments.

Royal Mail were testing electric commercial vehicles 45 years ago, they were all based on diesels converted to electric motors. :)

Luckily I will be gone before I am forced into an electric vehicle. Going out and fitting a job is stressful enough without having to worry whether my van has enough charge to get home again

Why pay to make it worse ?

Maybe at the moment for MH's it's not viable, but some vehicles are just so much better converted to BEV.

My mate has just bought a Vivaro-E for work. Its got a 200 mile range and a 700kg payload, so by the time you stack it with furnishings and possibly a pop-up roof, I don't think it would be worth converting for a camper. (they don't do high tops, presumably to keep drag down and range up).
A big bonus for campers would be if we were able to charge E vans overnight whilst camping but it seems to me that on-pitch EHU already struggle with kettle, fridge & TV without folks trying to charge their EVs as well.

Electric charging points are the biggest problem to EV's, I live in a Medieval town and can't even park outside my House, so where do I and my neighbours charge our vehicles?, and there are a lot of places in the UK like that!

How can a Ferrari possibly be better without the glorious sound of its engine. Like removing its soul
Having spent many hours working on a 246 and 400, I'd happily rip out the ICE and replace it with something which was much more reliable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back