All electric motorhomes.... Possible or not?

The problem with the tractor robert showed off, in the real world of agriculture it's a toy, suitable for hobby farmers and gardeners. John Deere are working on tractors with up to 1mw output, even a super charger would struggle to charge that up overnight.
just use your 3 spare battery packs during the day ;)

Electric MH's would guarantee aires as our reliance on them would make them economically viable.

Probably Tesco owned with a small shop :confused:

People don't realise how much environmental damage is done by making all these batteries. Apart from the cost of these very large battery banks, having a second swapout one will make it totally unviable if that was the approach
It's going to be delayed and delayed longer then you think.

Tallking of tractors, this might be of interest. Watched a BBC Countryfile a whileback when they did a head-to-head on Tractors.
This might be the full thing, or it might be just the electric bit (given the site, it will also be weighted opinions - bear that in mind when watching)
We are still getting used to these new fangled things.
tractor.png

A customer that i see regularly during the summer has a Citroën H van that he's converting to fully electric,no idea what mileage he's likely to get but I'm sure he'll build it to suit his requirements.

They already have electric scooters and your old piston engine lump will be in a museum along with my old bikes I have hidden away. :cry:

They will be around for a while yet. I could buy a petrol scooter or diesel motorhome in say 2028 and by the time they are both knackered Ill probably be ready to pack up anyway.

Having said that I would not be averse to an electric car or motorbike / scooter at home. Someone posted a thread about an electric motorbike they tried a few months back and it was flipping awesome and of course automatic. 0-60 in about 3 seconds. Yes please. I gather the cars can be quite nippy also. At home it would be fine. If we go out on the bike its seldom we do over 70 miles in a day and journeys in the care are seldom more than 50 miles. The motorhome and scooter for touring though is a none starter as far as electric is concerned, otherwise it wouldnt be an issue. My neighbour has a socket on the edge of his garage, ill just plug in there. :D

Having said that I would not be averse to an electric car or motorbike / scooter at home. Someone posted a thread about an electric motorbike they tried a few months back and it was flipping awesome and of course automatic. 0-60 in about 3 seconds. Yes please. I gather the cars can be quite nippy also. At home it would be fine. If we go out on the bike its seldom we do over 70 miles in a day and journeys in the care are seldom more than 50 miles. The motorhome and scooter for touring though is a none starter as far as electric is concerned, otherwise it wouldnt be an issue. My neighbour has a socket on the edge of his garage, ill just plug in there. :D

With new ev selling very well (we are told ) and new owners very pleased with them people may soon buy in preference to ic vehicles.

We keep getting told electric is the way forward but in my experience it isnt. My electric cooker isnt a patch on my old gas one. Haven't had a decent roast potato out of it yet. The electric hob is just awful. A £12 camping cooker does a better job. As for electric heating I have turned all our completely dreadful storage heaters off at the fuse board. Our wood and coal fire does a much better job of heating the house. Electric vehicles are going to be a pain to live with and a definite step backwards

With new ev selling very well (we are told ) and new owners very pleased with them people may soon buy in preference to ic vehicles.
Out of Curiosity, I decided to check out the prices...
Taking the Corsa as an example, looked on ArnoldClark.com (no point in looking at the official prices as we all know people don't pay those, so let's use real prices).
Not really checking the specs, just comparing the engines now.....
The most expensive Petrol Corsas for sale are £16,500. (most are around the £12,500 mark for nearly new ones with little mileage)
The cheapest Electric Corsas for sale are £25,000. So a difference of £8,500.

Typical Annual service for a Corsa is say £310. Road Tax is £140. so fixed running costs are £450/annum.
for an eCorsa, still need servicing - let's say it is £150 a year. and Road Tax is £Zero - so £150/Annum. eCorsa wins by £300 a year
Variable costs will be the same for everything but fuel.
Let's say charging the eCorsa is always free (doubtful, but who knows. Let's be optimistic).
If you do say 8,000 miles a year at an average of 40MPG and fuel is £5.50 a Gallon (reasonable enough. Not going to put fuel up as no increasing electric charging either), Petrol will cost £1,100 a year. So with extra fixed costs, the Petrol Corsa is £1,400 a year.

So after around 7.5 years, the Electric Corsa (using all numbers above) will have become the cheaper option. In my case, I probably do half that mileage. If I were to go Electric, it would take over 12 years to recoop the extra if I got the eCorsa instead of the most expensive Petrol one (which I wouldn't anyway and far more likely to get one at £12,500 or less, which makes it more like 17 years to recoop the extra purchase cost by cheaper running).

So forget the financial benefits - all about the environment isn't it!

Or is it?
Environmental Cost of building the batteries. Huge.
Environmental Cost of creating the electrical infrastructure for all the charging points. Massive
Enviromental Cost of generating the electricity for all these 'zero emissions' vehicles. Better then the ICEs, but still very significant

So how much in reality will going to Electric Cars "save the world" compared to being more thoughtful about cutting down on using current cars and other consumers?

Offer me an eCar in exchange for my current Petrol car? Yes please. Ask me to pay double the purchase cost? Think I'll pass, thanks.

Last edited:
Another consideration is profit on a new ic car is is small ,profit on an ev may be considerably higher for manufacturers and dealers

We keep getting told electric is the way forward but in my experience it isnt. My electric cooker isnt a patch on my old gas one. Haven't had a decent roast potato out of it yet. The electric hob is just awful. A £12 camping cooker does a better job. As for electric heating I have turned all our completely dreadful storage heaters off at the fuse board. Our wood and coal fire does a much better job of heating the house. Electric vehicles are going to be a pain to live with and a definite step backwards
Sorry Going of topic , new build houses from 2005 cant have gas central heating , more drain on the national grid

Vauxhall 'pester' me to buy a Viva-e, why would I bother, it's over priced, I'd rather have a MG vs-e for around £22,000, a bigger and better car with a 7 year warrantee.

If it came to being forced to buy an electric motorhome or not have one, then I would give it up and spend more time on the boat.

I can convert my boat to electricity comparatively cheaply and I don't need to travel far for fantastic scenery.

They will be around for a while yet. I could buy a petrol scooter or diesel motorhome in say 2028 and by the time they are both knackered Ill probably be ready to pack up anyway.

You will not be able to buy a diesel m/home if gove gets its way, and you will be barred from many places, even some suburbs will be out of bounds.

You will get used to it, remember when you changed from shorts to long trousers. 😂

I looked at going electric and I think I could make it work for me, but it would take a long time to see the benefit.
lets say the car has a 300 mile range.
Round trip to work each day 20 miles.
So cover works roof in solar panels to charge the car.
When I get home, power the house from the car battery.
The house is unsuitable for solar.
Lots of money to set this up and living long enough.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back