Aeropress Coffee - any good?

This Aeropress chat inspired me to brew coffee this morning rather than tea which I am sipping right now and at the same time enjoying the record temperatures in Spain for January. The van recorded external temperatures of 27c yesterday, warmer than a UK day in mid summer!

Reactions: REC
This Aeropress chat inspired me to brew coffee this morning rather than tea which I am sipping right now and at the same time enjoying the record temperatures in Spain for January. The van recorded external temperatures of 27c yesterday, warmer than a UK day in mid summer!
I too am sat here reading it sipping my coffee when I worked I used to drink an average of 10 cups of coffee a day now retired i am down to 3/4 cups a day when I was a smoker (stopped 25 years ago) I feared running out of coffee more than running out of cigarettes.

I too am sat here reading it sipping my coffee when I worked I used to drink an average of 10 cups of coffee a day now retired i am down to 3/4 cups a day when I was a smoker (stopped 25 years ago) I feared running out of coffee more than running out of cigarettes.
Gawd, you must've been wired 😉
I'm down to one caffeinated coffee per day now, in the morning (after my first decaffeinated tea).
Proper wimp, me.
(Oh, it's made in the Aeropress btw, just to nod to the actual topic. Must try the inversion method today. New one on me, that).

I'm down to one caffeinated coffee per day now, in the morning (after my first decaffeinated tea).
Proper wimp, me.
(Oh, it's made in the Aeropress btw, just to nod to the actual topic. Must try the inversion method today. New one on me, that).
Don't burn your fingers :)

Proper wimp, me.
I worked shifts sometimes 12 to 16 hours so I needed it but now weaned Off it.

I had one, Bloody marvellous is my opinion on Aeropress, I gave mine away while I was in the Philippines for xmas (Not in the van:ROFLMAO:) and intend to buy another.

I used to carry a cafetière and an aluminium stove top espresso maker as well as instant. Picked up an Aldi coffee maker in a charity shop for a fiver last year so took the cafetière out and carry that instead. Mostly use instant, I like the taste of Nescafé Alta Rica with a couple spoons of coffee mate. Next most used is the stove top pot with Aldi beans but again with coffee mate. Anyone else noticed how hard it can be to get coffee mate these days???

Sat here sipping my ginger, lemon and turmeric teas while typing this, not had a coffee yet lol

Sat here sipping my ginger, lemon and turmeric teas while typing this, not had a coffee yet lol
Drank three teas while typing that?
I also typed that slowly for you, cos I know you can't read fast🖕

I also like a variation of teas. Yorkshire. Yorkshire and/or Yorkshire.

Drank three teas while typing that?
I also typed that slowly for you, cos I know you can't read fast🖕

I also like a variation of teas. Yorkshire. Yorkshire and/or Yorkshire.
Don’t drink much Yorkshire tea since I started drinking it black, it’s too strong. Now find Tetleys a better brew. Used to always have Yorkshire when I had milk in tea though, proper brew 😂😂

I used to carry a cafetière and an aluminium stove top espresso maker as well as instant. Picked up an Aldi coffee maker in a charity shop for a fiver last year so took the cafetière out and carry that instead. Mostly use instant, I like the taste of Nescafé Alta Rica with a couple spoons of coffee mate. Next most used is the stove top pot with Aldi beans but again with coffee mate. Anyone else noticed how hard it can be to get coffee mate these days???

I used to use Coffee Mate rather than real milk, particularly at work where I used the Aeropress to brew pre-ground coffee and add Coffee Mate as there was limited facility to store milk. However, having discovered proper coffee, I now drink it black -- or occasionally a flat white in coffee houses or at home where microfoam is possible. I used to love Alta Rica; but having discovered real coffee, any instant seems disgusting :( Currently, I'm in Melbourne -- which I'm convinced is probably the coffee capital of the World! In Olinda, there is a roastery that produces a decaf that tastes better than any coffee I've had in UK and their signature roast (called "Jesus Walks" -- I didn't ask why!) is about the best I've ever tasted.
Don’t drink much Yorkshire tea since I started drinking it black, it’s too strong. Now find Tetleys a better brew. Used to always have Yorkshire when I had milk in tea though, proper brew 😂😂
You'd probably be good with the Tetley's they sell in the supermarkets in Melbourne. The amount of tea in each bag is miniscule and we need to use two bags per cup to get a half-decent brew. We haven't been able to get Yorkshire tea here and so are looking forward to our first proper brew in months when we get back home!

In another very interesting topic on portable solar power stations the use of an Aeropress coffee maker was mentioned to make decent coffee without the need to use any 240v expresso coffee machine.

I am intrigued as not come across this device but done a bit of Googling and looks interesting.

Does it produce coffee of the filter variety, which for me is wishy washy, or is it more 15bar expresso in style?

Clearly there is one user out there in the wildcamping world but are there any others?

Thoughts please as I may invest in one.
Its a great bit of kit. I've spent decades trying to find the best way of making a decent mug of coffee without all the faffing about, and I think once you've worked out the amount of coffee to put into the press to suit your tastes (its a heaped measure using the provided spoon for me), it provides consistent quality and it takes no longer than boiling the kettle, and I usually let the coffee brew for about a minute before slowly pressing the coffee into the cup. The only drawback is it only makes 1 mug at a time but it will do 2 smaller cups at a push (no pun intended). To get over this if it is an issue, I also bought the compact travel version to allow a faster second mug full, and that takes up less space on the van, and easily fits in a back pack along with a flask of hot water for walks away from home or the van. But as my wife lets her coffee cool down before drinking, I'll have brewed a second press and sat drinking it before she's starts hers, so it's that quick to do. I like a good Mocapot coffee but consistency is harder to achieve and takes longer to make multiple mugs without buying the massive 12cup version that brings its own storage issues.
The aeropress has definitely been a revelation and a game changer for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back