Aeropress Coffee - any good?

Sitting in the motorhome supping my morning Aeropress-brewed, freshly ground Lavazza Oro; I nearly choked laughing at the mention of "snobbery". Although I class myself a 'coffee snob', it's because I can really taste the difference. Very few cafés get it right. So I mostly drink tea when out because there's less chance of 'them' messing that up. TBH, it's an affliction and in some ways I wish I'd never discovered the taste of real coffee -- but I have and that's why I have an Aeropress in the van!

You're spot on. There are a heck go lot of cafes out there, but you tend to know straight away when you get a really good tasting 'proper coffee'.

I'll drink most things, including instant coffee, but for me nothing beats a 'proper coffee'. But what exactly is a 'proper coffee'?
It's all down to taste and everybody is different. I like a strength of at least 4.
There is definitely an art to creating a good coffee. I guess a lot must be down to the source/type of bean and how it's roasted and stored.

You would presume in this modern 'barista' age (hah!) 'good' coffee would be available on every street corner cafe, but it's simply not true.

Most Italian places seem to get the coffee right (in my limited experience!).

Here in the North East we have a local tea & coffee merchants called Pumphreys. They've been around in one form or another since 1750.
Linky: https://www.pumphreys-coffee.co.uk/history-of-pumphreys-coffee/

You would think after all those years in the business of supplying coffee they would have it nailed. But their 'standard' fresh coffee which they supply wholesale to a lot of catering outlets around here is totally disgusting. Bitter and thoroughly nasty. :sick:🤮 - but that's just my own opinion.

You're spot on. There are a heck go lot of cafes out there, but you tend to know straight away when you get a really good tasting 'proper coffee'.

I'll drink most things, including instant coffee, but for me nothing beats a 'proper coffee'. But what exactly is a 'proper coffee'?
It's all down to taste and everybody is different. I like a strength of at least 4.
There is definitely an art to creating a good coffee. I guess a lot must be down to the source/type of bean and how it's roasted and stored.

You would presume in this modern 'barista' age (hah!) 'good' coffee would be available on every street corner cafe, but it's simply not true.

Most Italian places seem to get the coffee right (in my limited experience!).

Here in the North East we have a local tea & coffee merchants called Pumphreys. They've been around in one form or another since 1750.
Linky: https://www.pumphreys-coffee.co.uk/history-of-pumphreys-coffee/

You would think after all those years in the business of supplying coffee they would have it nailed. But their 'standard' fresh coffee which they supply wholesale to a lot of catering outlets around here is totally disgusting. Bitter and thoroughly nasty. :sick:🤮 - but that's just my own opinion.
Bang on Mrs .
The best coffee near me does all the faffy , waste of time barista nonsense . Weighing the coffee , sourcing the best , offering different beans etc .
Worth all the bother for me . Pity they don't do bacon rolls !
Coffee in mainland Europe does vary a lot . Sweeping generalisation but French coffee is bland , wishy washy . Spanish better though verging on the bitter . In Italy it is unusual to get a poor coffee .
Coffee snob MOI ?

So one of our USP's in the guest house was great morning coffee. We used cafetieres for it and offered weak medium and strong and oil rig strengths. Very popular and many great reviews. Oddly though many from abroad were bemused by them esp the Italians.

The Aeropress is in our MH and provides as good if not better coffee than we gave the guests with the advantage of no glass to break. An excellent bit of kit that is enviro friendly as the grounds and filter go into our wormeries. :)

B2

In another very interesting topic on portable solar power stations the use of an Aeropress coffee maker was mentioned to make decent coffee without the need to use any 240v expresso coffee machine.

I am intrigued as not come across this device but done a bit of Googling and looks interesting.

Does it produce coffee of the filter variety, which for me is wishy washy, or is it more 15bar expresso in style?

Clearly there is one user out there in the wildcamping world but are there any others?

Thoughts please as I may invest in one.
I love my areopress, use paper filters when your away and use a metal one when you know you can give it a full clean.

I use 1 scoop per person and fill to the fill line then top up with water. Use any ground coffee and you won’t be disappointed.

I love my areopress, use paper filters when your away and use a metal one when you know you can give it a full clean.

I use 1 scoop per person and fill to the fill line then top up with water. Use any ground coffee and you won’t be disappointed.

Unless it's Pumphreys! 😜 😁

Who knew there were so many wild camping coffee officianados?! ;) :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

There is a huge range of coffees , some a lot better than others .
Any coffee making process will be improved by using better coffee .
Apparently Pumphreys is particularly bad !

Well I thought I’d resurrect this thread and introduce you to my latest coffee making gadget and I love it small enough for the van makes one cup and that’s ok as Bill is a tea drinker.
IMG_3189.jpeg
IMG_3190.jpeg

I used the Aeropress for some time with variable results.
Being basically an idle bar steward, when I discovered Nescafé Forte, I dispatched the Aeropress to the darkest corner of the van. Good, not great coffee, instantly.
I’m happy to be vilified by coffee snobs.😇

• Funny
Reactions: REC
I used the Aeropress for some time with variable results.
Being basically an idle bar steward, when I discovered Nescafé Forte, I dispatched the Aeropress to the darkest corner of the van. Good, not great coffee, instantly.
I’m happy to be vilified by coffee snobs.😇
Ok
GIRUY

I've had one at home and in my camper van, now Berlingo car camper for 8 years, after reviews concluding they produce better coffee than many expensive machines. One reason, according to the review, is that the plunger forces the water through the grounds. Whatever the reason, it produces great coffee. I get fresh roast beans from The Coffee Factory every 2 weeks and grind it for each cup mmmmmm.
It's design means it's particularly good in a vehicle compared to the cafetiere I used to use, as it's virtually indestructible, once you've squeezed the water out I push the grounds out into my compost bin, wipe the end and good to go. Saves water, grounds in waste water tank and washing up 😃.
I've got a metal filter for mine.

Having started this topic many eons ago we have taken the plunge and have become Aeropress users.

Also purchased a manual coffee bean grinder as freshly ground coffee beans is the only way to go. Packs of ground coffee do not have the same freshness or that coffee aroma as freshly ground coffee beans IMHO.

Watched all the James Hoffman Aeropress videos on YouTube and now produce the perfect Aeropress coffee.

The truth is it produces better tasting and smoother coffee than our 240v electric BEEM expresso maker which is now in now in storage no longer in use.

To be fair though our preference is for Americano style coffee with a dash of milk which the Aeropress is ideal for.

The BEEM had a milk container and was good for milky latte or cappuccino type coffees but we rarely used the milk container as it required constant cleaning after use which was a bit of a faff.

So if you like Americano style coffee the Aeropress combined with freshly ground coffee beans ground to the ideal coarseness for use with the Aeropress produces a decent cup without the bitterness of instant coffee.

And we now have decent coffee when off grid. Just boil the kettle, grind the beans, and abracadabra, a fresh cup of coffee.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've also added a USB-rechargeable grinder (Amazon link below) that works perfectly with the Aeropress. With the clear hopper removed, the grinder sits on top of, and grinds directly into the Aeropress. It's not as consistent as my Hario, but it's good enough for this application and a lot less effort! HTH

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back