Advice on buying a motorhome private

barryd

Going to look at a replacement van on Sunday. Its a private sale up in Newton Aycliffe so just 20 miles up the road. Its a chunk of money at £37k but a fair bit cheaper than if it was at a dealers (more like £44k probably) and of course there may be some haggling to be done. I suspect it will require a couple of visits. First one to suss out the seller and the van. He has only had it three months. Apparently it belonged to a friend who had it two years and then passed away. The new owner reckons he prefers his caravan or some such story but that set a few alarm bells ringing. I suspect he got it cheap and is trying to make a few quid. First thing ill be doing is checking the V5 to make sure its his and that its where he lives. Open to any other advice.

Checking the V5 was one I missed, I always leave Liz to check all the paperwork while I do all the practical things.

1) Ask to see all the damp reports. If not available say "Nice to meet you" and walk away.

2) Check the tyre dates. A new set of tyres will cost a good few hundred $.

3) Look at the oil on the dipstick and on the inside of the oil cap (if you don't know what you are looking for ask google).

4) Check that all gas appliances work (and have a nice blue flame)

5) Check all 240v appliances work

6) Check all 12v appliances work

7) Check all the "Car" bits work (Ducato are famous for blowing heater matrix)

Have a test drive (radio off) and make sure the owner doesn't keep his hand on the gear lever.

Think about paying for a hab check (second visit). This will do most of the tests above and a good mobile mechanic will spot many issues.

Put the reg into https://www.webuyanymotorhomeuk.com/ to see what you could sell it for

Last edited:
If you have a damp meter Barry take it with you and spend a bit of time checking all the usual places. Write out a list of things you want to check, and make sure you check them all out before buying. You want to check out gas and electrical appliances. Make sure the fridge works on gas and electric if it’s an absorption fridge, also make sure it runs on battery when engine is running etc. best of luck.

Great stuff thanks. I would post the advert but as a lot of people (none members) can view this site ill not do that for now. Its the only van of its type for sale in the country I think and Ive been looking for one for years.

It just so happens that my motorhome repair guy is also in Newton Aycliffe so if its a contender ill get him to come and give it the go over. Damp check etc. I think there is a recent hab check, recent service etc. In fact the service was done at the same place I get mine done now so I might call them see if they remember it.

how many people waste money on getting annual hab checks once any warranty demands have expired?
Would you really if not available say "Nice to meet you" and walk away??

I didn't have any damp/hab checks on my MH when I went to look at it other than the initial one that was around 12 years old. The owner astutely realised they were a waste of money and did his own checks and monitoring.

how many people waste money on getting annual hab checks once any warranty demands have expired?
Would you really if not available say "Nice to meet you" and walk away??

I didn't have any damp/hab checks on my MH when I went to look at it other than the initial one that was around 12 years old. The owner astutely realised they were a waste of money and did his own checks and monitoring.
Worthless bit of paper unless you're the one doing them. I've never bothered with them, do your own checks, and if something isn't right you get it fixed.

If it's a chausson before 2015 you will be lucky to find any leaks.build quality then was second to none.if any it will be around windows and a easy fix
newer ones aren't as good

1) Ask to see all the damp reports. If not available say "Nice to meet you" and walk away.

2) Check the tyre dates. A new set of tyres will cost a good few hundred $.

3) Look at the oil on the dipstick and on the inside of the oil cap (if you don't know what you are looking for ask google).

4) Check that all gas appliances work (and have a nice blue flame)

5) Check all 240v appliances work

6) Check all 12v appliances work

7) Check all the "Car" bits work (Ducato are famous for blowing heater matrix)

Have a test drive (radio off) and make sure the owner doesn't keep his hand on the gear lever.

Think about paying for a hab check (second visit). This will do most of the tests above and a good mobile mechanic will spot many issues.

Put the reg into https://www.webuyanymotorhomeuk.com/ to see what you could sell it for
Really, I have absolutely no intention of having any more than one £300 Hab check when the van is one year old to cover me for a second and last year of the warranty. And I may not even bother doing this, I am currently undecided due to issues I have had with my warranty.
For me hab checks are a total rip off. As for damp checks, I do my own, and if you were buying my van you would be more than welcome to use my damp meter and do your own checks. But from what you have indicated you would walk away. I doubt if many have these extortionate checks done when their warranty has finished.

What about Gas checks?

I remember once reading that some insurance companies insist on an annual gas check (in the small print) and may not pay out if this is not done. I can't find such a clause in my policy though.

I have never had a hab check on any of our vans, one I think it is just a rip off,secondly it would mean having to empty the van, we did this about 5 years ago when we changed vans, so don’t want to go through that again

What about Gas checks?

I remember once reading that some insurance companies insist on an annual gas check (in the small print) and may not pay out if this is not done. I can't find such a clause in my policy though.
Just read through my AIB insurance Rob, and section 24 reads

24. Loss or damage resulting from fire or explosion in connection with the on-board domestic gas supply to
privately converted motorhomes where the supply is not fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations
ERS Motorhome – MH 012

I will contact AIB for clarification here. But it appears you are correct Rob.

I note the words privately converted, that has many meanings.

Just read through my AIB insurance Rob, and section 24 reads

24. Loss or damage resulting from fire or explosion in connection with the on-board domestic gas supply to
privately converted motorhomes where the supply is not fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations
ERS Motorhome – MH 012

I will contact AIB for clarification here. But it appears you are correct Rob.

Thanks Bill, better read my policy again!

I had my system checked by a MH qualified gas engineer but I'd better check the service requirements too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:190)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax,
Back