A frame in europe

a frame towing in europe

not sure as back end of motorhome will carry 1.75 ton i think its a bit flimsy what do you think ??

I would suggest your failure to tow safely is not a reason for not towing with a motorhome. A properly set up rig with modern braking can actually contribute to the total braking effort of the combined rig.

not sure as back end of motorhome will carry 1.75 ton i think its a bit flimsy what do you think ??

I expected their e mail to say that after what I read in their brochure. That would do me.

a frame towing in europe

is there anyone out there that tows with an autotrail tag axle and what do they tow ??? ie weight

how about this, taken from NTTA FAQ - National Trailer and Towing Association Ltd

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit? Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car's kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car's Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

a frame towing in europe

why do you have to use the gross vehicle weight as there will be no people in the car at the time of towing as this is surely illegal in any country unless your in india

As far as I understand, it's the same with a trailer. If you have, say a 2000Kg towing limit, but tow a trailer which has a GVW of 3500Kg and weighs 750Kg empty, you are still technically braking the law towing it empty. You'd be very very unlucky to be done for it though.

Last edited:
Just in from Auto Trail

Hi,

If the maximum authorised weight is not fully utilised then the towing weight can be increased accordingly. The gross train figure must never be exceeded.

The gross train weight is 6000kg so in theory you can tow up to 1750kg. Obviously you need to allow some tolerance in case you load the vehicle differently when you are travelling.

Regards

Auto Trail
Steve Moverley
Director of Design and Development

Wasn't your original enquiry to do with problems towing with an a-frame in Europe? I have no idea what the technical specifications are but surely they are not relevant to your original enquiry - the answer to which is that the legal uncertainty means that you may get all the way to where you are going without being stopped but there is a very high possibility that you will be stopped, fined and/or told to uncouple and there is no point in arguing if you are.

Wasn't your original enquiry to do with problems towing with an a-frame in Europe? I have no idea what the technical specifications are but surely they are not relevant to your original enquiry - the answer to which is that the legal uncertainty means that you may get all the way to where you are going without being stopped but there is a very high possibility that you will be stopped, fined and/or told to uncouple and there is no point in arguing if you are.

Post 38

A- frames are illegal in France. Whether or not you get stopped depends on the gendarmes. We have known people forced to uncouple and drive the vehicles separately and we have known people who have done it for years with no problem. It is up to you whether you want to take the risk but if you are stopped you won't have a leg to stand on.

Four pages after this very early reply (which agreed with the four replies before it) and it seems as if the answer to the OP is still "Yes, you will have problems"

a frame towing in europe

seems ive wasted my money buying an a frame for use in europe but i can legally use it in the uk ????

seems ive wasted my money buying an a frame for use in europe but i can legally use it in the uk ????

As long as you comply with the directives in the government link I posted, the attitude of the British authorities seems to be the opposite of the French - ie it is legal until proved otherwise in court (incidentally this is in line with other differences between French and English law). Unless others have different experiences, I know of no-one who has had a problem with A-frames in the UK.

How old is it and the car? If the design of both is before 29/10/12 there is nothing saying you can't use it in the UK, if either was designed after that date or even if existing designs they are newer than 29/10/14, then according to this they need certification, as long as you have that you can AFAIK use it across all europe.
Trailer Certification

a frame towing in europe

my smart car is a w reg year 2000 i guess and the a frame looks to be as old as the car it has overun brakes is this still legal in the uk ??

He was a member years ago ........an expert on A frames

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back