A frame in europe

a frame towing in europe

i have a large 9mtr motor home and as it may be difficult to park at the seaside/in towns i thought taking a smart car would be smart??

I have seen two A Framers here in Portugal since we have been here but that doesn,t answer your query,but just thought I would comment.Maybe they came via Santander and missed France.?

a frame towing in europe

but i thought a frames were a definite no no in spain ??????????????????????

The confusion arises from the fact that the matter of legality in the UK has never been tested in the courts. This enables the manufacturers to claim they are legal in the UK and the police in France, Spain etc to say that this has never been proved. IF they were legal in the UK then they would be legal throughout the EU for a British registered vehicle even if they weren't legal for a local registered vehicle. Anyone willing to take the matter to court?

a frame towing in europe

weight of smart car is 780kgs and the problem is that trailers are 350kgs in weight and that takes me over my 1000kgs as per autotrail commanche spec{towing limit)

Last edited:
The confusion arises from the fact that the matter of legality in the UK has never been tested in the courts. This enables the manufacturers to claim they are legal in the UK and the police in France, Spain etc to say that this has never been proved. IF they were legal in the UK then they would be legal throughout the EU for a British registered vehicle even if they weren't legal for a local registered vehicle. Anyone willing to take the matter to court?

As I posted earlier from back end of last year all trailers require certification, if an A frame manufacturer or owner gets a cert then they will be legal around the world let alone EU, without one then AFAIK all new A frame are illegal.

Trailer Certification

Of course the French - and anyone else - are entitled to make their own rules. Thus if they decided that vehicles with A-frames weren't allowed on certain roads then that would be the law. But the current dispute is about road-worthiness and the French (and others) using the lack of clarity to say that A-frames cannot be used. If it were tested in court and if it was proved that A-frames are declared legally roadworthy in the UK then the French would have to go to the bother of banning them from certain routes. It is far easier for them to be able to say they aren't legal in the UK and so you can't use them.

I think you are confusing two different things here. EU Construction and Use Rules state that the regulations that apply are the ones in the country of registration. Thus if A-frames were legal in the UK they would be legal on a UK registered car in France. However, France is perfectly able to restrict certain vehicles from certain roads. It would be far more time-consuming for them than relying on the uncertainty that exists at present and it might also mean that foreign vehicles might be able to go where local similar vehicles couldn't, which would create mayhem. However, whichever way it goes, the reality on the ground is the same - it would be very unwise to argue with the gendarme that stops you!

a frame or trailer

Purchased motor home and smart car 18months ago checked for advice as you do re towing ,I was still at a lose so I rang the as,who informed me that I can use the a frame system but next year I will have to buy a trailer,so I got the trailer first no probs

a frame towing in europe

ok lets look at my problem another way guys i have a autotrail comanche tag axle with max mass of 6000kgs i have a smart car with a factory weight of 730kgs
if i get a trailer at 350kgs =1180kgs autotrail state 1000kgs max towing capacity what do i do????????????????????????????????????????????????

ok lets look at my problem another way guys i have a autotrail comanche tag axle with max mass of 6000kgs i have a smart car with a factory weight of 730kgs
if i get a trailer at 350kgs =1180kgs autotrail state 1000kgs max towing capacity what do i do????????????????????????????????????????????????

Its actually 1080kgs.If you use a noseweight of 80 kgs it would actually be a legal tow.I personally wouldn't like to tow as close as this to the limits.

Its actually 1080kgs.If you use a noseweight of 80 kgs it would actually be a legal tow.I personally wouldn't like to tow as close as this to the limits.

The mass your are towing is still 1180 kgs no matter how you balance the trailer, so overweight?

Worth checking again with Auto-Trail.
Their current brochure says.

"If the maximum authorised vehicle weight is not fully utilised, then the towable weight can be increased accordingly. The gross train figure however must not be exceeded."

Worth checking again with Auto-Trail.
Their current brochure says.

"If the maximum authorised vehicle weight is not fully utilised, then the towable weight can be increased accordingly. The gross train figure however must not be exceeded."

They probably believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden too. Other factors come into play besides the axle ratings and braking ability. What about ratings of towbars that are tacked on to the end of fairly insubstantial extended chassis members. Or increased propensity for jackknifing because of the increased overhang together with poor braking on the toad.

I never said it was a trailer. That has nothing to do with what I have been saying - why mention it? Perhaps to draw attention away from the fact that you are still confusing two different things - but it doesn't matter because the end result of both is that it is unwise to use an A-frame in France or Spain!

They probably believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden too. Other factors come into play besides the axle ratings and braking ability. What about ratings of towbars that are tacked on to the end of fairly insubstantial extended chassis members. Or increased propensity for jackknifing because of the increased overhang together with poor braking on the toad.

Best ask Auto Trail.

a frame towing in europe

sent them an e mail to technical dept to see what they say will post there reply if they respond

for what is worth am in spain parked next to a french motorhomer who tells me that he has given up an A frame because not only can he not use it in spain but that it has been ruled illegal in france as well

his theory is that this has come about because although only Aframes using hydraulic brakes were used in france , because of the breakdown rules the truck could only move the car and motorhome if had a caravan type towhitch , otherwise 2 trucks would be required

The mass your are towing is still 1180 kgs no matter how you balance the trailer, so overweight?

The car 730 the trailer 350 which equals 1080 not 1180.The point I was making is that the noseweight is transferred to the tow vehicle so its not really a question of distributing the weight on the trailer.A noseweight of 80kgs should leave an axle weight of 1000kgs.He would be very close.I wonder if he could the transfer the spare wheels/tools/jack ect to the M/H assuming he has the payload capacity

Just read back,its now 780 so 1130kg.Hopefully,the initial tow limit is wrong.Always reminds me why I gave up towing and haven't missed it

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back