A frame in europe

a frame towing in europe

in with you shortcircuit total mass 1080kgs towed not shared with tow hitch

You have to check full specs in brochure to find out what the * means.

If you don't use the full 875Kg, you can add the rest to the towing weight.

Last edited:
The car 730 the trailer 350 which equals 1080 not 1180.The point I was making is that the noseweight is transferred to the tow vehicle so its not really a question of distributing the weight on the trailer.A noseweight of 80kgs should leave an axle weight of 1000kgs.He would be very close.I wonder if he could the transfer the spare wheels/tools/jack ect to the M/H assuming he has the payload capacity

Just read back,its now 780 so 1130kg.Hopefully,the initial tow limit is wrong.Always reminds me why I gave up towing and haven't missed it

It does not matter what the figures are. It is the mass you are towing and it will not change however you balance the trailer. You just cannot loose mass by moving the load on the trailer.

MH converters are pushing what are basically a light commercials vehicles to the maximum. If you want a big 7 metre + MH and tow a car, you are best off with a 7.5 T truck.

Last edited:
1. I can assure you there was no false assumption in my posts. You were thus correcting something I never said or implied!

2. The response was not childish. I was simply pointing out that your confusion of two different things did not matter because the advice in all cases (confused or not) comes to the same thing.

3. I suggest you read the EU regulations before saying that they don't apply.

Good grief, man - try to take those French blinkers off. I said that the link would be a good place to start - primarily because it shows that there IS considerable confusion, even in our Governments own interpretation of the regulations (a confusion that you originally claimed did not exist!). I also earlier said that this confusion could only be resolved by the courts. At least you now seem to acknowledge both of those points so I suppose we are getting somewhere. And, yes, France IS bound by EU regulations, just the same as any other member country!

It would certainly not be the first time that a nations laws have been found to be contrary to EU law. According to the fundamental single market laws items that are type approved in one country are type approved in all. Thus if a A frame is type approved in the UK it is type approved in the whole EU. That would imply it is legal to use it. The UK however seems to have little interest in protecting it's citizens or manufacturers from other countries faulty application of the law. On the other hand if countries were fining French drivers usung Frenchmade A frames one can be sure France would be haranguing al in Brussels

Some very good & informative advice & information going on here! I did consider for a very short time about towing a small car behind us, but......... if I decided to do that might as well be a caravaner towing a 'wobbly-box!
We towed a big motorbike on a trailer through France a few years ago, what a nightmare when you need to reverse though! Unhitch, turn the vehicle around, rehitch again! Jacknifes in seconds due to the shortness of the outfit too! Went for the 'Scooter on the towbar' option next, then found out I was a tad over the limit of the towbar ball, being a max of 100kg load on the ball, the bike was actually 115kg (125cc) plus the weight of the frame to hold the bike! Opps, sorry officer?
Then went for the 'Scooter in the garage' route. That was better, but I was still probably over the limit for the rear axle. Our latest van can't take the weight of any 125cc scooter which I am not happy about, but 'er indoors' loves the layout of this one so..............
Now we have a couple of pushbikes on a bike rack & if we need to go further afield without the van, we will hire a car! Ho-hum :cool1:

Some very good & informative advice & information going on here! I did consider for a very short time about towing a small car behind us, but......... if I decided to do that might as well be a caravaner towing a 'wobbly-box!
We towed a big motorbike on a trailer through France a few years ago, what a nightmare when you need to reverse though! Unhitch, turn the vehicle around, rehitch again! Jacknifes in seconds due to the shortness of the outfit too! Went for the 'Scooter on the towbar' option next, then found out I was a tad over the limit of the towbar ball, being a max of 100kg load on the ball, the bike was actually 115kg (125cc) plus the weight of the frame to hold the bike! Opps, sorry officer?
Then went for the 'Scooter in the garage' route. That was better, but I was still probably over the limit for the rear axle. Our latest van can't take the weight of any 125cc scooter which I am not happy about, but 'er indoors' loves the layout of this one so..............
Now we have a couple of pushbikes on a bike rack & if we need to go further afield without the van, we will hire a car! Ho-hum :cool1:

You can get a bike trailer which rigidly attaches to rear of van and has two swiveling wheels, this makes it easy to reverse, the downside is it becomes in affect a large rear overhang which swings out quite wide on turning.

Better than yawn ... ping - pong

This made me laugh when I saw it. I thought it was amazing in it's luxurious OTT (IMHO) extravagance. One piccy for those interested a big German van towing an X-trail !!! From our 6 month trip, Portugal 2009. Pego de Alto, Barragem.

View attachment 27785

deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Honfleur, France. last september .......... if you`ve got it, flaunt it :rabbit:

a 42ft Monaco Diplomat RV towing a tri-axle trailer with a brand new Range Rover Autobiography V8 on it, both vehicles on 64 reg GB plates.

It might as well have had neon / flashing lights all over it as it stood out that much, everyone was talking / laughing about it.

Yippee - I think we have finally got there! The WHOLE point of this discussion is that there is CONFUSION in the interpretation of whether or not A-frames are legal in the country of origin. It is that CONFUSION that gives the French, Spanish etc free-reign to interpret the law as they see fit for foreign vehicles. IF there were no CONFUSION then the EU rules that it is construction and use in the HOME country which holds sway would put the French in a position they do not wish to be in. Got it now?

PS it is not MY interpretation; it is the Government's.

Last edited:
Just in from Auto Trail

Hi,

If the maximum authorised weight is not fully utilised then the towing weight can be increased accordingly. The gross train figure must never be exceeded.

The gross train weight is 6000kg so in theory you can tow up to 1750kg. Obviously you need to allow some tolerance in case you load the vehicle differently when you are travelling.

Regards

Auto Trail
Steve Moverley
Director of Design and Development

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back