A class v coach built

So did you go camping on a pair of Roller Skates:wacko:

No we we travelled on a steam train to weyms bay then sailed over the sea to Rothesay.
We thought that we had travelled halfway round the world to the cooperative camps on Canada hill.
But we had only travelled about 40 miles from home.

Ahhh those were the days

Last edited:
Mrs G is Scottish and she remembers her Dad had an old Army Bell tent and they often went camping around Loch Lomond.
They would get drinking water and washing water directly from the Loch

It’s very popular with Motorhomes, but they have put limits on parking. In the summer months you have to apply for a permit, and only a limited amount are issued for each day. I don’t know how well it’s policed.

Pegaso

Does the Pegaso have insulated external tanks or a double floor? We nearly bought Bavaria which is virtually the same as a Pilotote. However we backed out of the sale once we looked closely at the payload. So many of the things we regarded as basics...awning, microwave, much of the stuff that enables 4 people to sleep and travel, gas in tanks, a tank of water and so on were extras, so by the time you added everything back there was barely any payload left, the devil is in the detail. Double floors and drop down beds, more coachwork and big windows are heavy. Too many manufacturers use careful manipulation of figures rather than good design to get their vans under 3.5 T and give a (false illusion of a good payload.

Does the Pegaso have insulated external tanks or a double floor? We nearly bought Bavaria which is virtually the same as a Pilotote. However we backed out of the sale once we looked closely at the payload. So many of the things we regarded as basics...awning, microwave, much of the stuff that enables 4 people to sleep and travel, gas in tanks, a tank of water and so on were extras, so by the time you added everything back there was barely any payload left, the devil is in the detail. Double floors and drop down beds, more coachwork and big windows are heavy. Too many manufacturers use careful manipulation of figures rather than good design to get their vans under 3.5 T and give a (false illusion of a good payload.

It’s only 5.99 m.

All we needed to add was a carpet, an awning, and an aerial.
The payload is 635kg.
The payload inc 75kg for driver, full diesel tank, 15kg cylinder, and 20 litres of water.
It’s primarily a 2 berth but you can travel with four and you can make up a second bed using infill cushions.
I reckon from what you posted you are looking for a larger van.

But here are a couple of reviews

Roller Team Pegaso 590 | Practical Motorhome

Motorhome review: Roller Team Pegaso 590 motorhome - Reviews - Motorhomes & Campervans - Out and About Live

Last edited:
Re doors on right/wrong side.

Any MH which crosses the Channel will have doors on the wrong/right side.

Live with it. The trucks do.

dread to think what the replacement cost would be.

£1200 and 10 weeks wait for the first of mine that was taken out when parked fortunately done on the OP insurance. £540 & 4 days for the next one (parts only) fitted myself as on that occasion the lunatic who took it off was on the wrong side of the road and failed to stop following the "accident" and i didn't want to claim on my insurance. SO yes mirrors are not cheap on A classes.

Last edited:
£1200 and 10 weeks wait for the first of mine that was taken out when parked fortunately done on the OP insurance. £540 & 4 days for the next one (parts only) fitted myself as on that occasion the lunatic who took it off was on the wrong side of the road and failed to stop following the "accident" and i didn't want to claim on my insurance. SO yes their not cheap on A classes.

Dnk, thanks for that input much appreciated.

Why don’t you fit a dash cam, they are cheap as chips now, and can help in such situations.

When mine was replaced (only chipped, not broken), it was done at the Autoglass workshop (that they reckon doesn't exist) at Gildersome.

They ordered it specially from Hymer in Germany. They reckoned it would take three or four days to arrive, so we arranged a date that gave them a week. It was there on time.

They also reckoned it would take 45 minutes to fit. They had nearly finished after three and a half hours.

After their hefty trade discount, the windscreen cost them £2880 plus VAT - I think. It could have been €2880. It wasn't all that clear printing, and I wasn't supposed to see that invoice at all.

Hi hairydog, Dnk was talking about a mirror that was damaged whilst his van was parked not a windscreen.
His other price was £540for another mirror damaged by someone on the wrong side of the road who never stopped. He fitted that one himself to avoid labour charges. But thanks for the input about the windscreen.

Last edited:
I contacted my insurers CIS and they inform me that the company who underwrites my current policy only offer a £600 cover for windscreens. Although my policy does not finish until July I will have to take out another policy with different underwriters when I get my new MH with unlimited windscreen cover.

Obviously I realised that this is a downside of a class ownership, something you have to give thought to when buying one.

But I look forward to still having the use of our lounge with the bed down, and the feeling of space and the improved driving experience that an a class offers.

Pegaso

Just looking for opinions on A class v coach built.
Like everything else there will be advantages and disadvantages, some like cost are obvious.

I have always fancied an A class and I am thinking on the new Roller Team Pegaso 590 just out in September. It’s the only A class done to British spec under 6m, the spec looks impressive.

All opinions welcome

Cheers

Pegaso 590 Motorhome | A-Class Motorhome Brand | Roller Team
Hi
Did you finally go for one of these? Can you say how long the two benches facing each other are? We both have dodgy backs and need to stretch out rather than sit up for any length of time. Our small 5.8m rear kitchen van is one of the few shorter vans that allows us to do so, combining swivel seats and benches at the front of the van. All of the continental layouts with L shaped seating we have looked at so far only have adequate bench length on one side... hence the question.

What did you think of the kitchen? We’ve found most short continentals are rather limited in this area. Lastly is the overhead storage space sufficient, most recent low roofed vans seem to have very shallow cupboards with no middle shelf?. These are significant questions as we use our van for long trips totalling about 8 months of each year.

I have not driven a C/Pvc MH, but drove a lot of vans with the same cabs over many years, and also 7.5t trucks.

I find our 'A' Class N&B Arto is excellent for driving for the following reasons -

The visibility is excellent(not appreciated on dealers' forecourt or showroom)
Seats are very adjustable.
Wing mirrors, incl parabolic, can be positioned for better view. Downward kerbside mirror can give view all along body.
The side windows are usually double-glazed
Windscreen allows one to see more of the scenery.
The seats have two proper armrests(think some C/PVC use door rest - not adjustable)
There is extra shelf space at the side of the seats for parking mobiles, glasses, bits and bobs.
On ours the driving postion is higher than a van so one has a view over cars allowing one to better anticipate traffic conditions ahead.
When 'White van man' sees you coming he is more likely to give way, in my experience.

From the living point of view I think 'A' Class has the following advantages -

There is an added feeling of space and the forward view from the lounge area is wider and higher.
The additional shelf space as above can be reached from the Captains' seats when reversed.
There is more space to manoeuvre those seats.
They usually come with a drop-down blind for privacy/sunshield and ours can be part dropped and locked.

I suggest you test drive an 'A' Class with these points in mind, and ask to park in an open country area so you can go back and sit to see the difference from the hab area.

If you are still not convinced, then stick with the 'C' Class.

Geoff

I agree totally.. I had a 7.4m Autocruise Sarasota (Smurf type) with overcab bed, and moved to a 6.9m Eura Mobil A class, double glazed side windows in the cab and metal motorised front shutter blind saves the stretch over the dash. Plus all the points Nicholsong has mentioned. The garage is what we had on the top of our tick list to secure push bikes/table /chairs etc.
The mirrors are the ant type and give good vis down the side of the van. I found driving it no more difficult than the Autocruise, and the front cab area is ideal when parking up, as I am able to pull a curtain across behind the front seats and effectively create what I call a small conservatory area :) getting the sun from all three directions from the big windows.

Hi
Did you finally go for one of these? Can you say how long the two benches facing each other are? We both have dodgy backs and need to stretch out rather than sit up for any length of time. Our small 5.8m rear kitchen van is one of the few shorter vans that allows us to do so, combining swivel seats and benches at the front of the van. All of the continental layouts with L shaped seating we have looked at so far only have adequate bench length on one side... hence the question.

What did you think of the kitchen? We’ve found most short continentals are rather limited in this area. Lastly is the overhead storage space sufficient, most recent low roofed vans seem to have very shallow cupboards with no middle shelf?. These are significant questions as we use our van for long trips totalling about 8 months of each year.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

yes we have ordered the van and hope to get it soon.

Sorry but as I don't have the van yet, I am unable to answer your questions.
I don't think the overhead cupboards have shelves, but I may be wrong.
What I can say is for a 6m van the lounge is surprisingly spacious and very comfortable.
They use Eco leather for the upholstery.
There seems confusion over this with reviewer stating it's fake leather, it's not.
Eco leather is real leather that has been produced more ecologically for the environment in its tanning and preservation process.

My advice would be to go and take a look, I think you will be impressed.
Look at the videos and reviews I have posted, they may help.

One of our previous vans came without cupboard shelves.
I simply made them, varnished and fitted.
Job done!

That’s exactly what I plan to do if they don’t have shelves, I don’t think they do, so it’s a job for me when I get it home.

Just got a crazy price to fit an external aerial point on new Motorhome.
The part costs £16 and I fitted one on my current Motorhome in around 20 minutes.

They quoted me £175, that’s £160 for a 20 minute job.
I told them to leave and I would fit one myself, only to be told this could affect my warranty.

I will contact roller team for advice, possibly go to another company.

Any ideas welcome,

As you are no doubt a competent person, I would be asking why you doing a simple task, affects warranty?

I got my last van a Chausson 510 from Knowepark in Livingston, Nr Edinburgh.
I phoned them and asked them if it was ok to fit the external aerial point.
They said so long as it was done as per manufacturer instructions they saw no problems.
Honestly it involves drilling a 3/8 inch hole through the van and securing the fitting with 4 screws,
it took me 20 mins.

I will phone Roller Team tomorrow for clarification.
Obviously I don't want to lose a 5 yr habitation warranty and a ten year water ingress warranty, but I am not paying £160 for a 20 min job.
I think I have the option of going to a certified workshop up here instead.
I will get them to fit it if need be.
but its ridiculas being held to ransom like this.

I feel your pain, nothing worse than handing over your hard earned for a job that could be done by a NASA monkey. In fact, you would think dealer would fit for free, as you have gave them your custom.

Dicksons of Perth are one RT dealer I know off, give them a bell.

The NASA monkey would do it in 25 minutes for peanuts :lol-053:

Just found out that we won’t be getting the new Motorhome till early June.
It’s manufacture is due to commence 18 April. But they won’t get it till end of first week in May.
It should be ready end of May, but we are elsewhere and won’t be able to collect till June.
Brought up issue and quote for external aerial, and the dealer has agreed to fit external aerial FOC, bye way of apology. They did state that fitting the aerial point myself would be in breech of warranty.

We very nearly changed our one year old Hymer Exsis t for same model but I which is A class, got a good deal but in the end, we just couldn’t justify as could have financial implications later in life. We had a deal offer and today I told dealer we won’t be proceeding. So we will just have to remain a poor relation😜

Poor relation, no way, Just looked over your van ***** its a cracker.

I miss the A Class, having been lucky enough to having two!

My wife and I went to the Scottish caravan and motorhome exhibition last year to have a look inside an A class for the first time.
Well not one was on show, we could not believe it.
We looked at the inteneo and the pilot 6mtr A class vans at the NEC last month.
They were both really nice. The Pilote was great, but we felt it was a a bit dark inside, and it was around £6000 more expensive with less kit.

When we got inside the Pegaso we both knew this was what we wanted.

The dealer had two ex hire Pegaso 590 for sale at £5000 below new price, they both went in a week.
They sold 6 at the NEC last month, and 3 at its launch last October at the NEC.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back