A class v coach built

Fisherman

Just looking for opinions on A class v coach built.
Like everything else there will be advantages and disadvantages, some like cost are obvious.

I have always fancied an A class and I am thinking on the new Roller Team Pegaso 590 just out in September. It’s the only A class done to British spec under 6m, the spec looks impressive.

All opinions welcome

Cheers

Pegaso 590 Motorhome | A-Class Motorhome Brand | Roller Team

I do like the idea of A Class as well

However is it under 3500kg and what is the payload..

If both are good then yes

However we prefer a fixed bed

Cannot be Ars** with fussing with the bed every night for 5 months (which is our usage)

Last edited:
However is it under 3500kg and what is the payload..

If both are good then yes

However we prefer a fixed bed

Cannot be Ars** with fussing with the bed every night for 5 months (which is our usage)

It’s under 3500kg, payload 650kg and the bed is made up.
All you do is fold down cab seats and pull down bed and your done, and because the bed is brought down from above the cab, you still have the use of the lounge.
I timed myself and it took 45 seconds to set up bed.

I like it, except it is a FART and the auto box is another Gnome under the bonnet. The lack of fixed beds makes it short and much lighter. For two people and maybe a kid.
THE HAB DOOR IS CORRECT SIDE and there is a DRIVERS DOOR for the DRIVER.

That’s a nice wee van very impressed wae the layout think the difference is being able to utilise the front seats properly and most a classes are a wee bit wider usually with a decent size garage under back full time bed my vans nine meters and that wee roller team van has just as much lounge area great layout for a couple.

Bavaria have a nice range of smaller A Class and Coachbuilts.

Despite their name, they are a French company.

Bavaria have a nice range of smaller A Class and Coachbuilts.

Despite their name, they are a French company.

Looked at the 1600L, but with the engine upgrades I want and extras it’s over £10,000 more expensive.
Also it is not set up for our roads, but nice looking van.

Just looking for opinions on A class v coach built.
Like everything else there will be advantages and disadvantages, some like cost are obvious.

I have always fancied an A class and I am thinking on the new Roller Team Pegaso 590 just out in September. It’s the only A class done to British spec under 6m, the spec looks impressive.

All opinions welcome

Cheers

Pegaso 590 Motorhome | A-Class Motorhome Brand | Roller Team

What on earth is British Spec .. Sounds like something a Salesman would come up with. You don't want one of them foreign vans ours are British Spec.

Last edited:
Read up well on Roller Team. I know of two vans that have had to go back to Grimsby to have a whole side panel replaced due to warping. One of these people is a friend of mine whose van is under one year old and is a coachbuilt. It is going back in the next few weeks. The other is a member of the motorhomecraic forum whose van is just back. Type ‘back to the factory’ into their search facility. To be fair, Roller Team have held their hands up with a bit of encouragement of threats of trading standards.

I suppose though most marques of vans will have faults to entertain us, but whole side replacement and of 2 vans in a small place like N.Ireland and a low volume manufacturer is a bit concerning.

One of the biggest influences in my choice of van irrespective of A class or coachbuilt was to look around and see which brands had numerous quite old vans still in use. I chose Hymer.

Davy

What on earth is British Spec .. Sounds like something a Salesman would come up with. You don't want one of them foreign vans ours are British Spec.

I’d say that the main feature is the hab door being on the left hand side, and possibly a full cooker in the kitchen.

Drivers door on offside, habitation door on near side, right hand drive, and wiper blades set to cover primarily right hand side of windscreen.

No British manufacturer currently produce A class Motorhomes, and most are owned and run by Europeans companies.

Last edited:
Read up well on Roller Team. I know of two vans that have had to go back to Grimsby to have a whole side panel replaced due to warping. One of these people is a friend of mine whose van is under one year old and is a coachbuilt. It is going back in the next few weeks. The other is a member of the motorhomecraic forum whose van is just back. Type ‘back to the factory’ into their search facility. To be fair, Roller Team have held their hands up with a bit of encouragement of threats of trading standards.

I suppose though most marques of vans will have faults to entertain us, but whole side replacement and of 2 vans in a small place like N.Ireland and a low volume manufacturer is a bit concerning.

One of the biggest influences in my choice of van irrespective of A class or coachbuilt was to look around and see which brands had numerous quite old vans still in use. I chose Hymer.

Davy

They give a five year habitation warranty and a ten year water ingress body warranty.
My mate bought a Hymer coachbuilt with a Mercedes cab a year ago.
After only a month it had to go back due to a leaking window with a faulty seal.
He got it back and two months later he had a leak at the joint between the cab and the habitation area.
Currently it’s in for repair for a complete fridge replacement.
Also he now informs me that the panel water damaged from the leaking window has to now be replaced due to bubbling inside his van.

Yes Hymers are great vans, but they don’t do a sub 6m a class with uk spec.
If they did with a similar layout and a Mercedes chassis, I would certainly consider it.
Even if it was £20,000 more expensive.

Last edited:

You could have 'British Spec' description applied to Continental built MHs, which would include RHD and an oven, but rarely change of habitation door to UK nearside, nor of a single cab door to RHD driver's side.

Geoff

I’m looking at present for a new motorhome that will be the last one I buy so must get it this time, it will be my third so hopefully I now know what I need and what to look out for etc.
I was out again yesterday looking at Hymer both A & C class.
I have yet to test drive an A class but to be honest sitting in an A class drivers seat I am finding it most bizarre versus my present pvc and previous C class meaning the deep dashboard huge windscreen etc.
How have other members found changing from a C/PVC to an A class with the deep dash and driving position etc ?

I’m looking at present for a new motorhome that will be the last one I buy so must get it this time, it will be my third so hopefully I now know what I need and what to look out for etc.
I have yet to test drive an A class but to be honest sitting in an A class drivers seat I am finding it most bizarre versus my present pvc and previous C class meaning the deep dashboard huge windscreen etc.
How have other members found changing from a C/PVC to an A class with the deep dash and driving position etc ?

I have not driven a C/Pvc MH, but drove a lot of vans with the same cabs over many years, and also 7.5t trucks.

I find our 'A' Class N&B Arto is excellent for driving for the following reasons -

The visibility is excellent(not appreciated on dealers' forecourt or showroom)
Seats are very adjustable.
Wing mirrors, incl parabolic, can be positioned for better view. Downward kerbside mirror can give view all along body.
The side windows are usually double-glazed
Windscreen allows one to see more of the scenery.
The seats have two proper armrests(think some C/PVC use door rest - not adjustable)
There is extra shelf space at the side of the seats for parking mobiles, glasses, bits and bobs.
On ours the driving postion is higher than a van so one has a view over cars allowing one to better anticipate traffic conditions ahead.
When 'White van man' sees you coming he is more likely to give way, in my experience.

From the living point of view I think 'A' Class has the following advantages -

There is an added feeling of space and the forward view from the lounge area is wider and higher.
The additional shelf space as above can be reached from the Captains' seats when reversed.
There is more space to manoeuvre those seats.
They usually come with a drop-down blind for privacy/sunshield and ours can be part dropped and locked.

I suggest you test drive an 'A' Class with these points in mind, and ask to park in an open country area so you can go back and sit to see the difference from the hab area.

If you are still not convinced, then stick with the 'C' Class.

Geoff

I have had 2 A Class vans and one PVC. New A Class on order.

For me the A Class gives you more space inside rather than outside (steering wheel and front bumper are in the same place on both vans), but is it worth the extra. We went A Class again because we have grandchildren that we love taking with us so need four beds and still want some lounge. If we didn’t have grandchildren I thinks we would have gone Coachbuilt.

Last edited:

I know what you mean Obanboy.
You just have to tell yourself it’s the same width as a normal coach built normally 2.35m.
It’s just instead of the full width being behind you, it’s now in front.
The vision offered from the A class and the additional sturdiness, better insulation and space are all pluses.
And with the drop down bed over the cab, when it is brought down you still have your full lounge, unlike the coach built were your bed fills your lounge.

We looked at the Pilote 600L a lovely van, gorgeous inside but we felt that at around £8000 more expensive and with the doors not set up for uk use, that the Pegaso 590 fitted the bill.

We managed to view both at the NEC, and have just yesterday agreed on a part exchange with catterick caravans who were at the NEC.

The Pegaso comes with the Truma Combi 6 Inet gas/ electric heating system, a thetford fridge, thetford duplex oven grill, thetford three gas hob. The only options available were engine upgrades and a carpet for the habitation area. We went for the comfort matic auto with a 148 bhp engine, and we added the carpet.

Peter Vaughan was struggling to fault the Pegaso giving it 4.5 alongside practical Motorhome who also rated it at 4.5/5.

We thought about a 7m van but we decided that was not required. It’s ironic that the larger vans have more storage space but a smaller payload. We will have a 635kg payload. Another plus was that the Pegaso comes with a spare wheel, are rarity these days,

We are looking forward to picking it up, and once we have used for a few months I will do a full report on here.

Last edited:
Enjoy your new van

Having only owned a coachbuilt ,in the depth of winter the Achilles heel always seems to be the cab ,other than a different upholstery they remain essentially a van and the poor insulation that ensues at the price of the habitation area

It is for this reason alone I would consider an a class to see if it is better

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back