A class v coach built

We have owned 5 vans, one over cab, two low profiles and two A Classes.
I have never found any difference in the driving, the width is the width and sometimes if it is the same width at the front, it can be easier, or give the impression.
Definitely an A Class gives the impression of more room and more light, but they can get a little too much sun when driving heading into the sun.
Personally discounting costs, I would much prefer an A Class.
The only other reason not to have an A Class, is that if you have a front end mishap, the parts need to come from the manufacture and not a local dealer, although even local dealers still need to order from the manufacture
Door side is an issue for me, but I seem to be opposite to posts in this thread. We mainly use our van abroad and would never contemplate a van with the cab door for the UK side. There again, we have never had a door on the UK side so we know no different.
An A Class will cost around £8k to £10K more, but you will feel good driving one!:drive::drive:

Thanks for that *****.
Yes it has drop down mirrors I dread to think what the replacement cost would be. I bought a whole mirror assembly for a Ducato last year for £95.
We carried it as a spare in case of mishaps, just sold it on ebay for £112.
I have been told that the windscreen will cost around £2000, and I am dreading a quote from my insurer.

But thanks again for your comments much appreciated.

Enjoy your new van

Having only owned a coachbuilt ,in the depth of winter the Achilles heel always seems to be the cab ,other than a different upholstery they remain essentially a van and the poor insulation that ensues at the price of the habitation area

It is for this reason alone I would consider an a class to see if it is better

Channa

Many thanks Andrew for your comments.

Hope you are feeling better.

We looked at the Pilote 600L a lovely van, gorgeous inside but we felt that at around £8000 more expensive and with the doors not set up for uk use, that the Pegaso 590 fitted the bill.

We managed to view both at the NEC, and have just yesterday agreed on a part exchange with catterick caravans who were at the NEC.

The Pegaso comes with the Truma Combi 6 Inet gas/ electric heating system, a thetford fridge, thetford duplex oven grill, thetford three gas hob. The only options available were engine upgrades and a carpet for the habitation area. We went for the comfort matic auto with a 148 bhp engine, and we added the carpet.

Peter Vaughan was struggling to fault the Pegaso giving it 4.5 alongside practical Motorhome who also rated it at 4.5/5.

We thought about a 7m van but we decided that was not required. It’s ironic that the larger vans have more storage space but a smaller payload. We will have a 635kg payload. Another plus was that the Pegaso comes with a spare wheel, are rarity these days,

We are looking forward to picking it up, and once we have used for a few months I will do a full report on here.

The Pagaso looks great, I may call into the dealer at Catterick tomoss to have a look round them. I will telephone them tomoss and ask what models they have on display as their website states pre order. They have over £5,000 off the basic model so £54500, looks a good deal.

Thats a very nice looking van indeed.
Getting me all excited about sorting out a new van.

Windscreen on work Sprinter was over £2000 because of rain/light sensors and heating, so can easy see that being over on an A class.
Didn't order all that stuff on the camper though.

Just a little warning, or tip.
If you decide to fit external screens, try to get some which do NOT fit over the top of the door.
If the door seal is on the outside of the door, the screens will most probably stop the door closing tight and will leak when raining.
Taylor Made refused to sell to me and told me this. I got screens elsewhere and Taylor were correct, they did leak, so I had them altered and all fixings were external
There are a couple of my old threads around somewhere, not sure where!
I have told many about this problem and most who disregarded, the information, found out the hard way

***** with the fine control offered on the Truma Combi heating system (Which can also be controlled online) I don't think we will bother with the external screens.
The cylinder cupboard is large enough for two 13 cylinders, currently we can only instal 6kg. So I am not too worried about gas use.
If hooked it works on leccy.

But thanks for that tip.

Last edited:
The Pagaso looks great, I may call into the dealer at Catterick tomoss to have a look round them. I will telephone them tomoss and ask what models they have on display as their website states pre order. They have over £5,000 off the basic model so £54500, looks a good deal.

Oban boy these are ex hired stock not new.
But if thats what you want go for it.

They cannot have been out for long, as this model was only launched in September last year.

Heres the spec and video from Peter Vaughan for MMM and the practical motorhome review

Motorhome review: Roller Team Pegaso 590 motorhome - Reviews - Motorhomes & Campervans - Out and About Live

Roller Team Pegaso 590 | Practical Motorhome

Last edited:
We looked at the Pilote 600L a lovely van, gorgeous inside but we felt that at around £8000 more expensive and with the doors not set up for uk use, that the Pegaso 590 fitted the bill.

We managed to view both at the NEC, and have just yesterday agreed on a part exchange with catterick caravans who were at the NEC.

The Pegaso comes with the Truma Combi 6 Inet gas/ electric heating system, a thetford fridge, thetford duplex oven grill, thetford three gas hob. The only options available were engine upgrades and a carpet for the habitation area. We went for the comfort matic auto with a 148 bhp engine, and we added the carpet.

Peter Vaughan was struggling to fault the Pegaso giving it 4.5 alongside practical Motorhome who also rated it at 4.5/5.

We thought about a 7m van but we decided that was not required. It’s ironic that the larger vans have more storage space but a smaller payload. We will have a 635kg payload. Another plus was that the Pegaso comes with a spare wheel, are rarity these days,

We are looking forward to picking it up, and once we have used for a few months I will do a full report on here.

Hope all goes well from here having made your decision.

I know, I didn't realise at time of purchase of our Arto, how high I was setting the bar!!

Nor did I realise.

It was 10 years ago. I had been focussing on Hymer B644, called at Hymer UK Preston, no S/H in stock but had N&B Arto69GL with same layout. As soon as I inspected it I recognised it was superior. I left a deposit cheque pending full inspection, but they sold it 2 days later - Dealers:mad2:

So from then Arto was the target. Took 2 years but found private sale on 6 year 16,000 mile model for £27,500 at £5,000 less than the dealer.

In 10 years it has proved excellent.

Above it was stated N&B prices could not be compared with a Carado. A similar Arto has just sold for £25,000(buyer's info) but what would a similar Carado at 16 years have sold for?

Yes N&B set a high bar, so there are not many potential replacements to look at, but I am not looking seriously.

Geoff

Aclass v coach built

Hi happy with our A class Hymer for over 5yrs now.Just a couple of things to add our insurance is with AIB and the windscreen cover excess is only £100 with a company called Marketstudy.The last couple of years was with AIB with Highway insurance but limited to £600 so be aware as we had to make a claim because of stone chip hitting our windscreen,does not effect your no claims also.The Hymer we have is 15yrs old now buts she is bullet proof no knocks or rattles.As they say they do not make them the way they used to do,but she was just over £55 grand back in 2004 without any toys.

I don't reckon that's a good arrangement. If you only have one door in the cab, it is better on the passenger side so that the steering wheel doesn't get in the way of using it as a door.
As for which side the hab door is "correct", that varies from site to site. It isn't always on the nearside.

So what about Europe then, why do they supply us with right hand drive vehicles and the drivers door on the left.
As for opening the habitation door onto the roadside when parking instead of the pavement not being better I am lost on that one. If you were correct the Europeans would have the drivers door on our offside and the hab door on our near side.
No I reckon as most would do that the fact that a manufacturer of A class vans has went to the trouble and the expense of providing us with a uk spec is welcomed.

The fact is every other manufacturer supplies us with drivers doors on the passengers side, not because they think it’s better for us, its because they don’t think that we are important enough to give us the doors the right way for our roads.

Last edited:
The thing to beware of is the windscreen. Some A Class windscreens cost an amazing amount of money.
Some of the bonded-in ones with holes for the wipers can be well over £6,000 each.
Even the "normal" sort are usually well over £2,000

Insurance cover will be approx £40 a year more expensive than for my coachbuilt.
I will only pay an excess of £100 for a new screen, and it does not affect my no claims.

I can’t understand why a windscreen for an A class is so expensive. Truck windscreens can be supplied and fitted for under £200. Even a Merc econic bin wagon screen which is huge and bonded is under £500. :scared:

Totally agree mate. While there is no doubt glass covers a fair area and, with the arto, is curved at the edges, I really cant see how cost (if true) for mine is justified.

They don’t have to justify the price runnach.
These screens are not mass produced like say Ducato or transit screens, this must be one of the reasons for the high price. Also they have you over a barrel, and they use your situation to charge what they like. I was on a campsite on Mull two years ago and a couple with a Hymer a class had to replace a mirror. The mirror cost £1100, I mean how can that be justified.

Regarding M/H quality.
I know and have known M/H owners of both very Top end and not so top end and both and in-between have had some pretty big issues. Even owners with vans well in excess of £150K
Possibly the top end can have fewer, but possibly even that, sadly, is a thing of the past:sad:
Nowadays, if you have a good no problem van, think yourself lucky!

When you think of how many things can go wrong its no surprise that you get one or two problems, particularly at the start.

But it's time that motorhome dealers carried out works on vans they never sold, this would help greatly.
When buying my last motorhome a Chausson, there was only one dealer in Scotland.

I'm sorry you have trouble understanding. I'll try explaining in more detail.

My current motorhome has a habitation door half way down the right hand side and a door near the front on the left hand side. It is right hand drive, so the door at the front is useful for getting in and out through.

I have seen the identical motorhome in LHD and the door at the front is much less useful because the steering wheel gets in the way of using it as an access door except for when the driver is leaving from the driving seat.

The habitation door on the other side is very rarely used when the vehicle is parked at the roadside. In a layby, a field, a car park, even a camp site. But not at the side of the road. So it really makes no difference. The best side for the hab door to be varies from site to site. I doubt there is a better or a worse side.

As you say, the layout I have is the norm for places with LHD. Personally, if I had a LHD vehicle, I would want the doors the other way round. But the difference between you and I is that I have used both layouts extensively, and I base my opinion on a lot of experience.

Hairy Dog, I fully understood your initial points, I simply don't agree.
I accept fully that the steering wheel or even the drivers seat may make it a bit difficult to get in, but if you managed to leave that way I am sure you will manage to get back in the same way.
If what you were saying was agreed by all of the European manufacturers then they would put the drivers doors to the right instead of the left.
Also your point about the wrong side in some campsites, well that can be sorted out by not reversing in but by driving straight into the pitch instead.
The van comes with doors on either side, so we will always have the option of leaving n/s or o/s.
I don't have the van yet, but from memory there appeared to be lots of space for access both in and out from the drivers door.
But I will know better when I finally get it. There was not enough space at the NEC to actually open the drivers door, and find out.

Anyway hairy dog its all subjective, its all about opinions, right and wrongs don't come into this.
You are happy with your set up and thats great, and I will be happy when I finally get my van, hopefully next month.

Take care enjoy the summer when it comes.

Last edited:
The above posts, just show how different we all are! No right and no wrong!
I, or Mrs and me are different again. We have had RHD and LHD M/H's with doors for the driver or doors for the passenger only.
Guess what/ we didn't use any, we only ever use the hab door!
This keeps the front cleaner

I am quite new to this game, and I know that hairy dog could easily teach me a thing or two *****, I have no doubt about that whatsoever.

When I was looking for my first van in 2016, I was amazed at all the different layouts, lengths of vans, literaly hundreds.

I soon realised that this was to attempt to cover as many options as possible due to peoples different tastes and demands.

We cut our teeth in our first van, and I learnt a lot from it, but I still have plenty to learn, we probably all do.

From what I learnt over the past three years I now feel that this new van is more to what I want, no doubt in a few years I may want something else, who knows.

Having M/H'med for over 15 years and lots on mainland Europe and trucked with artics all over for years and years before that, I can say that what you think is the ideal van at one time, maybe not a few years later. Over the years we have changed the way we use our van quite a few times!
I suggest, you just do what YOU think is right for YOU and disregard others who say they think they know more than you! They most probably know what works for them, but it does not say it will work for you!
Just enjoy and I bet you can't wait for your new van! They do look excellent value!

Yep keep watching the peter Vaughan video, looking at photos, and reading reviews,how pathetic is that *****. :sad:

Hairydog, you must be around three hundred year old, as you have seen and done so much more than us mere mortals have done.

Anyways, as for design features, make all doors to the rear, job done!

Nice one, no rear toilet then, just imagine sitting on the throne and the wife opens the back door letting the whole campsite witness me having a dump.;)

I bet I can beat you:scared:

My first M/H experience was when I was 6 months old:scared:

Dad owned a few trucks and built a frame on one of the bodies, then chucked a sheet over it.
His and Mums double bed followed, my cot and paraffin cooking etc!
Then off to Cornwall!

I can beat that, we were so poor we did not have a car.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back