250ah battery

izwozral

Following on from my inverter thread I have decided I need to beef up the MH's off grid capability, this is based on our recent foray into Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Because it was so cold we used the Truma heater on gas for approximately 6 hours per night, we found that the heater fan, plus lights, pretty much flattened the single 110ah leisure battery each night.
So I have been looking at batteries and found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Bann...655033&hash=item2ceb7daede:g:UnQAAOSw95lc69XF my question is, what size solar panels would be the most suitable and what solar controller would be the best to use.
Also, would the above battery be good enough to power the 2100watt inverter as mentioned in my inverter thread.

I am not totally against buying lithium batteries, just not sure I can justify the expense for the amount of time we spend in the MH?

As always, I am very grateful for the advice given, it is very much appreciated.

Ral, we have 4, 85ah gel batteries but no solar,. Tv is our biggest drain, but we can get about 3-4 days before we need to charge via a b to b charger. I think with solar you could manage with perhaps 3 batteries. Ours are now about 10 yrs old. Nabs is right about spreading the load. I think they have lasted because we have seldom taken them down to a point where they are too low.

Here you go mate. From Mr Sterling himself. This is what we have with 230w solar and 1800W inverter to do inverter toast and 1200w hairdryer.

12v Banner 135 AH Energy Bull Leisure battery (95901)banner 1152£224.98Subtotal £224.98Shipping & Handling £0.00Discount (wildcamping15) -£40.50VAT £38.25Grand Total£229.48

Cheers

H

Attachments

• LeisureBatteryData.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 193
Bit brutal innit? But the gist is a battery costing four times the cost of a standard lead acid is not four times more capable of meeting most people’s needs.

Cheers

H

Well, we do fine with the set up we have Mr Woo. If I was to change batteries I’d be tempted to go the traction battery route but we’re doing fine for the time being. Even that small glitch with the Truma recently is easily managed once you know about it.

Cheers

H

Ral as a full member don't forget you can get a discount with alpha batteries .re solar panels and controllers bimble on the net seem constantly competitive also they have an online mix and match suggestion tool

Like this one? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G2...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2
Doesn't look too bad a price or am I missing something?

Trojan traction batteries Ral ...

We have a pair of these ...

Alpha discount and free next day delivery.

Cheers

H

Fitting solar panels and heading for Scotland this time of year will not work unless you do as Phil has done and cover the whole of the roof. You will be lucky to get 1Ah out of a 100w solar panel this time of year. The further north you go the worse it gets. Having flat panels on the roof is also a no no. Panels should be pointed at the sun if you see it. Panels should be near vertical and tracking the sun this time of year.

The answer is an Efoy fuel cell. Not cheap but the small one will churn out 3A 24/7 which is 72A per 24H which should be more than enough for your needs. You will save on weight as you only need a small battery bank and you don't need to go for expensive lithium batteries. When you consider how much your solar panels are going to cost. Add on a good quality solar regulator. Add on the cost of extra batteries and wiring. Don't forget all the weight that this adds and you soon realise that a fuel cell works.

You should have enough for one you just saved £4000 on your new MH and got an extra £1000 for the Swift crap.

I fitted one of these last year:

It's the largest capacity battery in the highly thought of Varta/Bosch silver framed range.

Cheaper than the Red Bull, but Alpha Batteries don't do them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back