250ah battery

izwozral

Following on from my inverter thread I have decided I need to beef up the MH's off grid capability, this is based on our recent foray into Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Because it was so cold we used the Truma heater on gas for approximately 6 hours per night, we found that the heater fan, plus lights, pretty much flattened the single 110ah leisure battery each night. So I have been looking at batteries and found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Banner-230ah-250ah-Energy-Bull-Ultra-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-96801/192929443550?epid=1224655033&hash=item2ceb7daede:g:UnQAAOSw95lc69XF my question is, what size solar panels would be the most suitable and what solar controller would be the best to use. Also, would the above battery be good enough to power the 2100watt inverter as mentioned in my inverter thread. I am not totally against buying lithium batteries, just not sure I can justify the expense for the amount of time we spend in the MH? As always, I am very grateful for the...
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

yorkslass

Ral, we have 4, 85ah gel batteries but no solar,. Tv is our biggest drain, but we can get about 3-4 days before we need to charge via a b to b charger. I think with solar you could manage with perhaps 3 batteries. Ours are now about 10 yrs old. Nabs is right about spreading the load. I think they have lasted because we have seldom taken them down to a point where they are too low.

winks

Here you go mate. From Mr Sterling himself. This is what we have with 230w solar and 1800W inverter to do inverter toast and 1200w hairdryer. 12v Banner 135 AH Energy Bull Leisure battery (95901)banner 1152£224.98Subtotal £224.98Shipping & Handling £0.00Discount (wildcamping15) -£40.50VAT £38.25Grand Total£229.48 Cheers H

Attachments

winks

Bit brutal innit? But the gist is a battery costing four times the cost of a standard lead acid is not four times more capable of meeting most people’s needs. Cheers H

Wooie1958

Bit brutal innit? But the gist is a battery costing four times the cost of a standard lead acid is not four times more capable of meeting most people’s needs. Cheers H I hope you`ve got your Tin Hat ready H o_O

st3v3

what size solar panels would be the most suitable and what solar controller would be the best to use. The biggest you can fit on your roof/afford, then a controller to match. If you can't afford to fill the roof with panels yet, consider buying a controller that can cope now, for when you do buy more panels.

winks

Well, we do fine with the set up we have Mr Woo. If I was to change batteries I’d be tempted to go the traction battery route but we’re doing fine for the time being. Even that small glitch with the Truma recently is easily managed once you know about it. Cheers H

izwozral

Well, we do fine with the set up we have Mr Woo. If I was to change batteries I’d be tempted to go the traction battery route but we’re doing fine for the time being. Even that small glitch with the Truma recently is easily managed once you know about it. Cheers H Like this one? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G289R02?tag=opr-mkt-opr-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-ubp00-win70-other-smile-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2 Doesn't look too bad a price or am I missing something?

channa

Ral as a full member don't forget you can get a discount with alpha batteries .re solar panels and controllers bimble on the net seem constantly competitive also they have an online mix and match suggestion tool

winks

Like this one? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G289R02?tag=opr-mkt-opr-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-ubp00-win70-other-smile-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2 Doesn't look too bad a price or am I missing something? Trojan traction batteries Ral ... https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/t-105-trojan-deep-cycle-battery/ We have a pair of these ... https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-banner-135ah-energy-bull-leisure-battery-95901/ Alpha discount and free next day delivery. Cheers H

QFour

Fitting solar panels and heading for Scotland this time of year will not work unless you do as Phil has done and cover the whole of the roof. You will be lucky to get 1Ah out of a 100w solar panel this time of year. The further north you go the worse it gets. Having flat panels on the roof is also a no no. Panels should be pointed at the sun if you see it. Panels should be near vertical and tracking the sun this time of year. The answer is an Efoy fuel cell. Not cheap but the small one will churn out 3A 24/7 which is 72A per 24H which should be more than enough for your needs. You will save on weight as you only need a small battery bank and you don't need to go for expensive lithium batteries. When you consider how much your solar panels are going to cost. Add on a good quality solar regulator. Add on the cost of extra batteries and wiring. Don't forget all the weight that this adds and you soon realise that a fuel cell works. You should have enough for one you just saved £4000...

r4dent

Fitting solar panels and heading for Scotland this time of year will not work Took the words right out of my mouth. Scotland / winter / off grid ... forget about batteries unless you travel every day or use a G@@@@@tor.

POI Admin

POI Administrator
Ral you are better having multiple batteries than one, it takes half the load from two battery’s and recharges twice as quick. The time to charge will not be halved. An analogy. If you had two water tanks rather than one and emptied 100 litres of water it will take exactly the same time to fill from the tap ...

POI Admin

POI Administrator
I fitted one of these last year: https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/varta/lfd230/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7eeE6jNePRGWtJVh19j-PUTvnH-OaNYoRQPN0ANxVy0mmx38F4CJWgaAtM0EALw_wcB It's the largest capacity battery in the highly thought of Varta/Bosch silver framed range. Cheaper than the Red Bull, but Alpha Batteries don't do them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:221)

Nesting Zombie, Asterix, Haaamster, jagmanx, runnach, R0B, keith49, Nabsim, mossypossy, wildsprinters, barge1914, davep10000, grath, harrow, dalspa, yorkslass, iampatman, Wooie1958, ricc, oppy, SquirrellCook, Steve and Julie, Yelto, n brown, Floydster, Alf, colinmd, Adria home, spigot, grahammay2, Obanboy666, ScoTTyBEEE, trevskoda, Alan1951, helmit, Roger Haworth, Tezza33, Edina, Stanski, clarkpeacock, Jandb4, winks, Veloman, Borders2, 2cv, Fisherman, tripper, UFO, Tapfitter, DTDOG, Ian and Cath, MarkJ, stockcarman, Wully, helen262, channa, IanT, reiverlad, Martin P, Glass man, st3v3, Andys, Nemos Dad, lands43, GreggBear, DnK, yorkshireCPLE, NickVanBitz, Compo, time4t, QFour, GinaRon, Shockingdog, PinkFlowerPetal, r4dent, POI Admin, noah and nelly, Bouydog, ironman, pj650, BusyLizzy, lenmcd, Chris Evans001, Larnie, Budgie, Okta, Greengrass, Chris356, sparrks, korky, Mikael, rustydog, ian81, saxonborg, TJBi, Noddy, hg41hs, Herman, kingfisher1, flyby, molly 2, The laird, mofish, vwalan, belbri, 1807truckman, defender, owlcat, Bigshug, ARDAS, doglover1, Forresbroons, mikejay, Moped, Topmast, Steve C, GeoffL, redhand, kensowerby, Rod, Mobilvetta, ian1950, pamjon, BeakerFlo, Val54, hotrats, Gerry Attrick, jas900, chrisjones18, andglor, pedro, jeffmossy, mid4did, MOJO, kevlakes, Roy Laura, jerrycan, witzend, mike17, flying kipper, TeamRienza, mrdon, bluebullet47, RoddyK05, Scampi30, Farman, JVG, Steveboy, Monkeybrand, maureenandtom, hmssnake, Markd, Clunegapyears, linkshouse, andy greaves, Alberto, BlueVanMan, Woodology, gid7, CliveW, flav, paulg525, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, oldish hippy, timatabsa, regnarts, David Clarke, denboy, Peisinoe, geoff, ibs7491, wildebus, Telstar, Smokey, Nidge, Dulvil, Livotlout, jordan, FULL TIMER, shortcircuit, Lee, Victor, V1nny, bmc, tailgate, dugsud, barryd, Daz12, RussnMaz, VandA, exwindsurfer, flytim, smg, specky4eyes, RoadTrek Boy, fiona68, Technispark, ozzy1955, Outnumbered, JimandHazel, Upfish, hextal, Talbot, wints, byron, Fazerloz, hank, alwaysared, eggbeater, islander, landoboguy, bigvern, francour, maxsdad, johnsgp, kenspain, tilly, Skar, cornish hymer, dakota, FringeDweller,