180 into 360

witzend

I'm still trying to understand this rule. Just say you have 5 days in France then come home that has started your 180 day period is there anything to stop you having the remaining 85 days of that 180 days followed immediately by the 90 days of your next 180
eg 5 Away, 90 Home, 85 Away, 90 Away

This you cannot do.

The 180 day period rolls forward. It's a window on the calendar.

It's hard to explain but in the example you give the 5 days taken will disappear from the allowance on the sixth day, because the window has moved on.

If you had taken 90 days in one go, then those 90 days will disappear a day at a time after 90 days and will only disappear fully after 180 days has elapsed.

This you cannot do.

It's hard to explain but in the example you give the 5 days taken will disappear from the allowance on the sixth day, because the window has moved on.

If you had taken 90 days in one go, then those 90 days will disappear a day at a time after 90 days and will only disappear fully after 180 days has elapsed.
Pity though isn't it

This you cannot do.

what dose that mean in simple terms. ok pj. oh thank you

I‘m off to get my Irish passport. Leave the wife to figure out her maths 😇

The way I explain it to myself is to think in round numbers of 30 days.

Month 1 - 30 days away
Month 2 - 30 days away
Month 3 - 30 days away
Month 4 - home - as I have now used my 90 days in 180 allowance
Month 5 - home
Month 6 - home
180 days is now complete
Month 7 - away because as each day of the month goes by, a day in Month 1 becomes a day over the 180 day rule. It is replaced by each day in Month 7
Month 8 - away because as each day of the month goes by, a day in Month 2 becomes a day over the 180 day rule. It is replaced by each day in Month 8
Month 9 - away because as each day of the month goes by, a day in Month 3 becomes a day over the 180 day rule. It is replaced by each day in Month 9
Month 10 - home
Month 11 - home
Month 12 - home
etc etc

Please bear in mind that not every month is 30 days so this will need to be accounted for.

For us and foreign travel it works like this. These are round months

Jan - away
Feb - away
Mar - home
Apr - Home
May - away
June- home
July - home
August - home
Sept - away (as Jan and Feb have dropped off now)
Oct - Home
Nov - Home
Dec - Home
Jan - away (as May has dropped off now)
Feb - away (as each day of Sept drops off we can replace it with a day away in Feb)
etc etc

I think playing with the calculators makes understanding it easier! :oops:
My brain exploded when I think about it too much, although I do understand the working out!

been trying to get my irish passport for almost a year had all documents returned saying that office was closed due to covid not checked for couple of months but situation was the same then

As long as your wife travels with you she can ignore the calculator.
Unfortunately, any UK passport holder is bound by the 90 day rule - even if travelling with a spouse holding an Irish passport 🙁.

been trying to get my irish passport for almost a year had all documents returned saying that office was closed due to covid not checked for couple of months but situation was the same then
Drinking Guinness does not entitle you to an Irish passport. I tried that.;)

I think the thing to remember is it is a rolling 180 day window so it goes back in time by 180 days. As long as the number of days you are away in the previous 180 days do not add up to more than 90 then you can travel.

Unfortunately, any UK passport holder is bound by the 90 day rule - even if travelling with a spouse holding an Irish passport 🙁.
That is not the advise the Irish government has given or the your Europe web site.

There’s been much talk on other sites about this, and it’s all a bit confusing, the visa calculator is a great tool but DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC also comes into effect for spouses of those with EU passports, like everything EU it also has a complication or 2, the 3 months rule in DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC is NOT the same as the 90/180 rule.

It basically gave UK passport holders the right to stay in the EU and still applies to those with EU passports (I.e. Irish) and extends the right to 3 months in any 1 Schengen state for their spouse, therefore those with Irish passports can stay indefinitely and their spouse can stay (and this is the important bit) with them in any Schengen state for up to 3 months consecutively, BUT unlike the 90/180 rule they can then visit another country within the Schengen area for another 3 months or 1 night and then go back, but since passports are not stamped within the Schengen area borders that’s pretty immaterial really.

Both the Irish Government and the EU have agreed this understanding of Directive-2004-38-EC

Irish Community Services website has covered this extensively.

Just to add, the Irish government advises any Irish passport holder travelling with a non EU spouse in the EU should print AND carry both their marriage certificate and the linked and highlighted Directive-2004-38-EC Document.

Last edited:
I think their just swamped, last year they started putting new applications from people born and living in the UK on the back burner, first generation descendants also took priority over second generation descendants, the rules for second generation descendants were I’m told also changed and checks increased, then Covid hit, basically everyone in England who ever knew, kissed or met a paddy suddenly wanted to be one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back