180 into 360

Unfortunately, any UK passport holder is bound by the 90 day rule - even if travelling with a spouse holding an Irish passport 🙁.
Since putting this on the thread back in April, I've read several media articles that state that you are in fact permitted to circumvent the 90 day rule when travelling with your spouse if they possess an Irish passport. Suppose you would have to ensure that the non-Irish passport holder doesn't get theirs stamped when entering Europe - otherwise it may trigger the 90 day countdown for them irrespective of their spouse's passport??

Reactions: REC
Post number 19 above, in this thread seems to have it covered.

A friend of mine is English with English passport and owns a house in France where he has lived for several years - his is NOT a resident and regularly travels to and fro England to France. He has not been queried ever about his right to do so. Is there actually any checks on what is happening?

I have an Irish wife so 180 goes 360! 😇
I had one years ago, does that still count 😁😁😁
Seriously though our 3 children are entitled to an Irish passport. They have looked into it, 2 live in Spain anyway and this was the reason for the check.

A friend of mine is English with English passport and owns a house in France where he has lived for several years - his is NOT a resident and regularly travels to and fro England to France. He has not been queried ever about his right to do so. Is there actually any checks on what is happening?
I wonder if its all logged electronically these days so may catch up with him.

Things have only changed since the beginning of this year. What happened before that is irrelevant now.
When your friend enters the EU ( or in some cases leaves the U.K. heading to the EU) his U.K. passport should receive a stamp with the date.
When he leaves the EU, his passport should get another stamp showing his date of exit. In a perfect world, these dates should be collated and any overstay flagged up and in theory, overstaying could result in a fine or a refusal to enter the EU for a while.
Whether all that happens or not, is a matter for the EU border force officers to sort out.
He could get a long term visa ( up to 6 months) to spend more time in the EU and I think this is what many second home owners are considering doing now.

Well my passport wasn’t stamped going out, it was barely looked at. I’ll see how close they look on my way back next week.

This is reported in several outlets:

British passport warning as woman BANNED from entering Spain as new changes hit​

Despite Linda visiting back in June, passport officials failed to stamp her documents when she left.

When she tried to visit again in September, she was stopped from travelling as she was seen as an “over-stayer”.

She told local Spanish media: “I was denied entry to Spain on September 26 due to my passport not being stamped on exit on a previous one-week visit to Spain which started on June 4.

It seems a good idea to ensure that passports ARE stamped every time you cross a Schengen border!

Gordon

Once the new system is in place you won’t need passport stamps. But, I’m not sure I believe the story. “ A woman, named Linda”…….

So all you have to do then to get freedom of movement back is to marry an Irish woman?

That doesn't sound too difficult. Ill break the news to the current Mrs D later. Anyone know where I will get one (An Irish woman that is)? Preferably under 30 and hot but I am willing to compromise if she has her own van.

For us and foreign travel it works like this. These are round months

Jan - away
Feb - away
Mar - home
Apr - Home
May - away
June- home
July - home
August - home
Sept - away (as Jan and Feb have dropped off now)
Oct - Home
Nov - Home
Dec - Home
Jan - away (as May has dropped off now)
Feb - away (as each day of Sept drops off we can replace it with a day away in Feb)
etc etc
We seem to have come to 2 months away 2 back 1 month away, 1 back also , but is not January dropping off from July? You do not need to wait until September unless of course you want to.

Yes we do. The little blighters will have gone back to school then plus it wont be too hot in Italy where we plan to go to :)

So all you have to do then to get freedom of movement back is to marry an Irish woman?

That doesn't sound too difficult. Ill break the news to the current Mrs D later. Anyone know where I will get one (An Irish woman that is)? Preferably under 30 and hot but I am willing to compromise if she has her own van.
Took me a while to find a stable one, found the Donegal breed were freekin nutters when diluted with drink! Took me a long time to calm to the Irish accent after that experience but found a cracker by accident on the I.O.M. ( think she logs in now and again)😂

Took me a while to find a stable one, found the Donegal breed were freekin nutters when diluted with drink! Took me a long time to calm to the Irish accent after that experience but found a cracker by accident on the I.O.M. ( think she logs in now and again)😂

All I can remember from my trips in my late teens and early twenties to Ireland with the boys, fishing, boating and campvervanning were how stunning all the girls were and how many of them there were. I seem to remember back then in the 80s there was a huge disproportionate number of young women to men in Ireland. I did meet one girl (long story) around Lough Derg who I fell head over heels for but sadly it was not to be. Bit of a bugger that as I could have been planning a six month trip in Provence or something. :( Might look her up then. Bet she has about twenty kids now.

She wouldn't have to be Irish Any old Mare from Europe would do wouldn't She ?
Oh of course! French then. One of those pretty ones that sell the sausages on Dinan market. That aught to do it.

Perhaps those ladies who ply their wares from plastic chairs in laybys ought to consider increasing their offerings?

Gordon

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back