13 year old driver

I learned to drive on the M1 before I left school, we used to go up to what was called the Mecca Village services, we used to see all sorts of famous faces back then coming back from gigs.

I learned to drive on the M1 before I left school, we used to go up to what was called the Mecca Village services, we used to see all sorts of famous faces back then coming back from gigs.
I rolled the motorway up there, working for ‘limmer and Trinidad’ we laid the tarmac on the M1 at trowell services (Mecca village services) ,it was practice to check the hardness by descending the ladders on the side of the roller and test it with your heel, on this occasion I hadn’t applied the brake and the roller ran over my toe with no one driving it, my foot was stuck firm in the asphalt so I had to abandon my boot and run after a 20+ ton road roller in one boot, luckily I caught it before it did any damage, except to my toe of course which was mended at Nottingham hospital .

I rolled the motorway up there, working for ‘limmer and Trinidad’ we laid the tarmac on the M1 at trowell services (Mecca village services) ,it was practice to check the hardness by descending the ladders on the side of the roller and test it with your heel, on this occasion I hadn’t applied the brake and the roller ran over my toe with no one driving it, my foot was stuck firm in the asphalt so I had to abandon my boot and run after a 20+ ton road roller in one boot, luckily I caught it before it did any damage, except to my toe of course which was mended at Nottingham hospital .
If it had crashed you should have afooted the bill or at least had it toed back. 😂

Many moons ago I got stopped in a ministry check driving a artic in west Wales. They had a 12 year old girl in police custody for driving a 38 ton artic...they had no idea what to do .her father who was a passenger just told them ," she's a better driver than me" they had not long got off the ferry from Ireland .I got fined £25 for failing to keep records but no idea what happened to the young girl.

I learned to drive at about 12 years old messing around in my uncles yard it was heaven bulldozers 20 ton cranes big dumpers and a big 16 ton Albion truck I used to load and unload with the crane. All my mates had mecano I had the real thing. I done 1 stock car race with an old post office commer van when I was 14 came second always wanted to do that again.

Last edited:
My brother was a concrete finisher on the bridges etc, stupid money in those days.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back