Ā£30 a night for a carparkšŸ˜”

Please donā€™t apologise, you may even be correct I donā€™t know. But I would be surprised if Killington Lake services was council owned, and I am sure I saw a Ā£100 fine mentioned, but thatā€™s from memory. I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a reduction for early payment. But this was being operated privately, as many other motorway service areas are. Obviously with the changes on parking regulations in England announced last week, things may be different now. But if you overstay your two hour period, you will most certainly receive a fine through the post.

More talking about Laugharne, as the OP, but I guess the bottom line would be check the terms of where you actually park.

More talking about Laugharne, as the OP, but I guess the bottom line would be check the terms of where you actually park.
Fair point, I thought you were referring to Killington Lake. But your point about Laugharne seems spot on, if you can half the fine. Bottom line they donā€™t want us there, but if we do stay they can rip us off.

Thanks Wooie, I see no mention of the fines applied, but I am sure I saw Ā£100.
But then I thought I paid Ā£15 and I only paid Ā£13 according to this.
We`ve only twice ever overnighted on UK motorway services and they were quite a few years back.

Once on Strensham services M5 when we`d sold a trailer and met the buyer from down south half way to do the hand over and take payment and the second time was on Chester sevices M56 when we was on the way home from a day out and i did not feel very well at all, both times in the motorhome.

The wife went into the services ( WH Smith i think ) to pay and the staff asked her what vehicle it was, when she told them it was a motorhome they said it should be the Ā£20 HGV rate but they said they would only charge her Ā£10 car rate as it was a private vehicle, she paid got a receipt and that was that.

The only thing I find surprising about the OP is that councils have been so slow to cotton on to this ploy and it will become far more widespread.

I Think under the new rules any fines would be capped at Ā£50 and just Ā£25 if paid within 14 days so in theory the fine would be less than the overnight fee. :D

Not that I would ever want to stay on service station car park though.

Our 2 stays were purely out of necessity rather than choice.

The first one was that because of work commiments the trailer buyer could only get there at approx 8pm and as it was summer it was broad daylight so that wasn`t a problem then after the hour or so doing the hand over we didn`t want to drive anywhere.

The second was because i felt like shyte and the wife didn`t want to drive our motorhome so despite being only 1 hour from home we pulled in and stayed the night after which i felt fine, the following morning we went home.

The only thing I find surprising about the OP is that councils have been so slow to cotton on to this ploy and it will become far more widespread.

Councils, slow? Never! :ROFLMAO:;)

Insularity seemed to be ingrained into the public system and changes in local public services are generally slow to happen.
Chuck in a bit of right hand, left hand, jobsworth syndrome and, well... šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

They aren't known for looking outside their own boxes and seeing what other councils are doing that might work well for them.

And when they occasionally might, the potential to import and adapt good creative and innovative ideas are more often than not stifled by their own council's bureaucracy and inflexibility.

I've also discovered from past hands-on experience there's often a lot of petty, ignorant, self-interested egos with no vision working in the higher echelons of local councils. Mind you, these days a lot of it is down to being severely cash-strapped and hampered by recent austerity drives.

I`ve always looked on councillers as Pillars of Society or something like that , sure it began with S :unsure:

Are you members of either of the clubs? Because both main clubs have hundreds of small 5 van sites right through the country. Some are around a tenner a night. We've never needed to stay a a motorway services in 14 years of motor homing. Even when the ground is wet we've been allowed to stay on the hard floor of the farmyard itself.

In the lorry ive paid Ā£35 for nine hours . The most expensive is Extra services M25 south. as it done by the hour and no food voucher.
All overnight or 24 hour parking that is paid in WHSmiths. In advance. can be for Ā£2 upgraded to Ā£10 spend withing 3 months at any of pertisapating locations.and shops. Not only food.
All have Shovers on site. most are now upgraded

Extra is only good for 2 hours then leave.
Correct me if I am wrong, this is the only Country that charges you to have a rest when tired on a motorway.

Free with waste, water and hookup. The French know how to do it.

20220214_101701.jpg

So everything should be free. And At your convinces. All laybys on A roads supplied by highways england are free.
Correct me if I am wrong, this is the only Country that charges you to have a rest when tired on a motorway.
Something we use very little or not at all in some cases . Jonny foriener land is just that over the water..
Like toll roads there. you pay if you want to.

If sevices were free 24 7 they would be full at all times so you couldn't park .

I've not had to put up with the Ā£$%^ lorry or caravan parks of years ago. Most now upgraded area s clean and family friendly
The newis lorry park in the uk is on the A14 and is exactly that we need. Well done welcime break.

It's disgusting what they charge, on the big signs on the motorway they clearly state. DONT DRIVE WHILST TIRED, then they have the cheak to charge Ā£30 bang out of order. 2 years ago we got to studland in Poole at 5.25am we past a little van with a beacon on and they saw us go past. We were there approximately 15 mins next thing I saw a piece of paper get put on the windscreen as they walked past it was a traffic warden, so I went out and told them that we past them 15 minutes prior and I got told no overnight parking. If 15 minutes is classed as overnight parking where do we go with it. I wrote a stinking letter to Dorset Council and told them that they should be ashamed of this and that when we go abroad we are catered for and looked after. There was 2 French and 1 German van and they got tickets as well. All they have to do is put a,meter and Ā£10 per night. I'd be happy to pay that.
When I spoke to the German he said they treat motorhomers as tho we are alien's. There are alot of genuine people out there.
These charges especially on mway services get on my ****** our trusted government should do something about these charges and do as the continent does and cater for us

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back