£30 a night for a carpark😡

Last year we spent a night at Killington Lake on the M6. I saw a sign stating that it cost £15 to park for more than 2 hours. So I went to the shop to pay the £15. The guy behind the counter asked where I was parked and my reg number. He looked at his CCTV then asked was it the Motorhome. He then said it would cost £30. I told him if it’s £30 we are off, but he would not back down. I got as far as the exit before being called back and told that £15 would be fine, but officially motorhomes were £30 a night at all motorway service stations. I then noticed a sign for the Travelodge rooms for £40 a night, could not believe it. Sadly some are stupid or desperate enough to pay these prices, hence why they still exist.

In the lorry ive paid £35 for nine hours . The most expensive is Extra services M25 south. as it done by the hour and no food voucher.
All overnight or 24 hour parking that is paid in WHSmiths. In advance. can be for £2 upgraded to £10 spend withing 3 months at any of pertisapating locations.and shops. Not only food.
All have Shovers on site. most are now upgraded

Extra is only good for 2 hours then leave.

Probably cheaper to pay the fine. If you get caught ;)
At £100 I don’t think so. And its not if you are caught, you are caught on cctv ANPR coming in and out. If you overstay you can look forward to a letter through the door. Read what happened to this guy.

I stopped at a motorway service station in the summer and managed to fall asleep. At the time I saw no signage warning of fines otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there but anyway, I received a fine with photos of me pulling on and off the service station, saying I had overstayed a maximum time period.

Last edited:
I have used them before when caught out with low fuel. But I only put a few quids worth in to get me to another station off the motorway.
Managed to avoid their overpriced fuel , too tight !
More referring to overnight stops .
When just getting from A to B I've no problem stopping anywhere .
Often use motorway stops in Europe which are free

The one I’ve used a couple of times is the m6 toll road services think it was £30 includes payment of toll and a £10 food voucher and 24 hours parking handy if I leave late not the worst.….Used to include the toll but I’m not sure if it still dose.

FA0AECB0-A70A-4D8D-A696-704B55131034.jpeg

Last year we spent a night at Killington Lake on the M6. I saw a sign stating that it cost £15 to park for more than 2 hours. So I went to the shop to pay the £15. The guy behind the counter asked where I was parked and my reg number. He looked at his CCTV then asked was it the Motorhome. He then said it would cost £30. I told him if it’s £30 we are off, but he would not back down. I got as far as the exit before being called back and told that £15 would be fine, but officially motorhomes were £30 a night at all motorway service stations. I then noticed a sign for the Travelodge rooms for £40 a night, could not believe it. Sadly some are stupid or desperate enough to pay these prices, hence why they still exist.
Was the guy behind the counter trying it on? Happened to me and my partner in 2020 when visiting Carding Mill Valley, operated by National Trust. The two guys at the entrance taking money for parking advised that there was a new higher charge for motorhomes and my partner paid up. Subsequently queried the charge and eventually had the excess refunded by the Visitor Experience Manager. No indication, however, that any action was being taken re the two guys (audible on dashcam recording), who were clearly operating together.

Was the guy behind the counter trying it on? Happened to me and my partner in 2020 when visiting Carding Mill Valley, operated by National Trust. The two guys at the entrance taking money for parking advised that there was a new higher charge for motorhomes and my partner paid up. Subsequently queried the charge and eventually had the excess refunded by the Visitor Experience Manager. No indication, however, that any action was being taken re the two guys (audible on dashcam recording), who were clearly operating together.
To be honest I don’t know why he would. I think it was a John Menzies shop and he only worked for them and stood nothing to gain from doing that.
But I see from Wullys post its £13 and £24. And for £26 you get a £10 food voucher. I must be on my dotage, I could have sworn it was £15 and £30 with no mention of a food voucher. :(

We use them to have breakfast on especially when doing the long run from Preston to Canterbury then Dover for the ferry to Johnny Foreigner land.

We have our bacon on our bagettes drinking our tea & coffee using our water & milk cooked with our gas, not giving them 1 penny.

Just need to watch the time as breakfast can be a leisurely affair :)

We use them to have breakfast on especially when doing the long run from Preston to Canterbury then Dover for the ferry to Johnny Foreigner land.

We have our bacon on our bagettes drinking our tea & coffee using our water & milk cooked with our gas, not giving them 1 penny.

Just need to watch the time as breakfast can be a leisurely affair :)
I’m with you on that one great pull ins to cook up and eat your own within the 2 hour free time. 👍

At £100 I don’t think so. And its not if you are caught, you are caught on cctv ANPR coming in and out. If you overstay you can look forward to a letter through the door. Read what happened to this guy.

I stopped at a motorway service station in the summer and managed to fall asleep. At the time I saw no signage warning of fines otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there but anyway, I received a fine with photos of me pulling on and off the service station, saying I had overstayed a maximum time period.

I thought this was a council carpark, apologies if wrong. Any I've seen are 60 quid, reduced to 30 if paid quickly.

I thought this was a council carpark, apologies if wrong. Any I've seen are 60 quid, reduced to 30 if paid quickly.
Please don’t apologise, you may even be correct I don’t know. But I would be surprised if Killington Lake services was council owned, and I am sure I saw a £100 fine mentioned, but that’s from memory. I don’t know if there’s a reduction for early payment. But this was being operated privately, as many other motorway service areas are. Obviously with the changes on parking regulations in England announced last week, things may be different now. But if you overstay your two hour period, you will most certainly receive a fine through the post.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back