Would you take a laptop away?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If I hadn't just got this laptop when my Dad died I would go for a tablet. I got his Fire too but don't like that enough. I confess that it's a lot of the Google stuff I like. I know Trev will be champing at the bit to reply to that one!

We once took an older laptop to France with some downloaded TV programmes. The only time we've ever watched TV in 9 years was the Bake-Off final one Sunday afternoon in France when it was raining.
I always think our home is at risk because the van isn't in front of it. So yes, I bring the laptop.
That one always worries me too. No van and no barking dogs with sharp teeth.
Having done all the renovation building works on our cottage ourselves we have built in a few hidey-holes, so all keys, passports etc. etc. are hidden away when we leave.

Two laptops and three smart phones. Michelle has managed to destroy one of the phones by dropping it out her pocket at 50mph on the bike and she is well on the way to drowning my spare Samsung. Laptops get used all the time mainly for watching stuff on but as I still officially even in retirement support a handful of businesses I occasionally need mine to do work.

I tend to use my phone though for this kind of thing, forums etc in the van as it's easier and it charges up really quick. Laptops we keep fully charged off grid as they tick over using very little power when 100%

As for Google or Microsoft taking over your life. Who really cares? I find the news feeds and stuff on my phone useful when it decides what I want to see. It's generally a way of targeting you for ads, news etc. Pointless fighting it. Just use good ad blockers.

I take two laptops, two tablets and three or four phones (different providers)
I don't want to start using Linux because I have recently started to believe it can turn into a paranoid obsessive compulsive disorder🤣🤣🤣🤣

Two laptops and three smart phones. Michelle has managed to destroy one of the phones by dropping it out her pocket at 50mph on the bike and she is well on the way to drowning my spare Samsung. Laptops get used all the time mainly for watching stuff on but as I still officially even in retirement support a handful of businesses I occasionally need mine to do work.

I tend to use my phone though for this kind of thing, forums etc in the van as it's easier and it charges up really quick. Laptops we keep fully charged off grid as they tick over using very little power when 100%

As for Google or Microsoft taking over your life. Who really cares? I find the news feeds and stuff on my phone useful when it decides what I want to see. It's generally a way of targeting you for ads, news etc. Pointless fighting it. Just use good ad blockers.
So when you bank gets emptied and Mr Ping wonga from good knows where has all you details, you will care. 😂

So when you bank gets emptied and Mr Ping wonga from good knows where has all you details, you will care. 😂

My bank won't get emptied by Google though will it? That's not their intention. If you have decent security and a little common sense nobody is going to steal your money online. Linux won't stop many of the scams now which are usually down to the victim falling for a scam email or more likely phonecall and your data is more likely to get breached by some other company you are registered with than your own laptop by a country mile.

My bank won't get emptied by Google though will it? That's not their intention. If you have decent security and a little common sense nobody is going to steal your money online. Linux won't stop many of the scams now which are usually down to the victim falling for a scam email or more likely phonecall and your data is more likely to get breached by some other company you are registered with than your own laptop by a country mile.
May not be their intention today. :LOL:

But I agree, you can drive yourself mad if you worry about all this stuff too much.
Saying that I only use Google apps/products if there isn't another option around. Not because of security stuff though.

May not be their intention today. :LOL:

But I agree, you can drive yourself mad if you worry about all this stuff too much.
Saying that I only use Google apps/products if there isn't another option around. Not because of security stuff though.

I suppose another way of thinking for me personally is I've made a £$%^ load more money out of both Microsoft and Google than they ever have or will from me so I'm not fussed that they might want to spy on me. 😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back