Wood stove

Funnily enough, i've just put a dual fuel burner in my house, after looking after a mates house who had one fitted for a bit.
Had it pro fitted, new flu liner etc, and a carbol mononixed detector as well.
I would def put one in a home made jobby camper van if i had the room, there brill.!!!

jt

Cool. Kit car? that's another story. Nova cars (kit cars), made from chassis of VW beetle, fibreglass body, used to work from a unit in Ravensthorpe, West Yorkshire where we used to live in the 80s, went out of business many years ago. As for insurance, yes, long gone are the days when you never worried about it, unfortunately, a sign of the times. (Always wondered why old people had rose tinted glasses, I've got them now!).

As they say; "good seasoned wood doesn't grow on trees". It's actually been cut and stored for a year or two. So don't expect to pull up in a country layby and find it laying all around (if it is somebody will probably own it, so taking it will be theft).

Also carting a decent amount around with you takes up a lot of space, and don't believe anyone who tells you you can heat a van, let alone a small house on a couple of twigs.

So stick to gas, more economical and easier.

For short (up to a week) trips we carry prepacked wood briquettes...like these wood blocks...they're dry, efficient, clean and they don't spit or clart up the flue, so much safer than wood.

i'm flogging this on fleabay starts sunday bedstove 001.jpg 14 inches high

Bodge, do you have a stove installed in van, or burn briquettes outside of van only?

We have installed a small woodstove in our caravan - an experiment prior to putting one in the campervan. It's a Windy Smithy, very soild and well sealed but quite light in weight. It's very solidly held down. We surrounded it and the flue right up to and through the roof with fireproof panelling and a silicone sleeve, and stood it on a paving slab as a hearth. Burning briquettes it has worked really well; logs don't last as long and tar up the flue quite quickly, which is a bit of a risk factor in a van. We have a friend who has one in his Merc campervan and loves it. He removes the top section of flue when he's travelling and has a sealed cap to replace it. We've decided that the stove we'll probably use in the camper is a Pipsqueak...tall and narrow so it will fit in a small space, and again really well made and sealed. We never keep the stove in at night though, to avoid any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I also burn the briquettes in a log burner outside on cooler nights when camping in a suitable place.

we carried a bag of coal when we could buy it,lasts ages with a bit of wood as well

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back