Wood stove

yorkieowl

Quite fancy fitting a wood stove into the van, a coachbuilt, has anyone else fitted one, and how does it affect the insurance?

Can of worms.... do a search on here.
i like them two but it often causes a fierce debate

I have seen lots of vans with Wood Burners in them, usually self builds though, don't know the answer to your Insurance question but would guess that Insurance would be a hassle, I have a wood burner at home and love it, I only burn scrap wood and it cost me nothing , I installed mine at home myself several years ago,and now see that it is illegal to do this and it must be installed by a certified contractor, { domestic ] don't know if that would apply to a Motorhome though, something to look at I guess, where would you store the wood required for the fire ?

Did you see the video on the Motorhome crash tests? Just imagine a woodburner coming loose & hurtling at you. It would need to be very firmly fastened down! You also need a fireproof base for hot ashes & embers that often fall out when stoking.

Seen one fitted into a campervan, and it was very efficient, as for storing wood, have a bike rack on the back but there is wood everywhere you go, so can't see that being a problem, went to Cleveleys once and there was a full tree washed up on the beach! It would be fitted securely, and as we don't overload the van like we've seen quite a few doing can't see that as a problem either, it's mainly the insurance issue, probably best to ring and ask. Oh well just an idea.

I have fitted a number of burners in vans,when its done right it's great.we always had them in our vans.now we're on -propex and wish i'd left room for a burner.as for getting one in the back of the heads in an accident,i have one in my shed weighs 16 kg,not too different to a fridge and less than a full cassette toilet or a cooker and hob

As they say; "good seasoned wood doesn't grow on trees". It's actually been cut and stored for a year or two. So don't expect to pull up in a country layby and find it laying all around (if it is somebody will probably own it, so taking it will be theft).

Also carting a decent amount around with you takes up a lot of space, and don't believe anyone who tells you you can heat a van, let alone a small house on a couple of twigs.

So stick to gas, more economical and easier.

If yougoon ukhippy.co.uk or tribal living there are plenty of folk who live in vans who can answer your questions regards wood burners and storing wood.

A bow saw with a decent blade will cut up to around 5-6" branches, stick to stuff that is lying on the ground with loose bark & not too wet & you should be OK. Wet wood takes a while to dry & moulds/ fungus & wood beetle are not good things to bring into a van with wood furnishings even if it is all MDF really.

If you can afford it a Taylors or Pansy style wall mounted charcoal, coal, or even diesel burner designed for yachts can be very effective without taikng up so much space or effort. Most solid fuel stoves will take different fuels, coal burns hotter & needs a good air flow from below, wood & charcoal work well on a bed of ashes & can be fed air from a draught above the fire bed.

Finding wood is easy when you don't need or want it, but that brilliant unwanted branch by the roadside is usually on a nasty bend with double white lines, a clearway, or nowhere to stop unless you block the lane! If you go for a walk in the woods, you can only gather so much in your arms, you will get very dirty & as already stated, it is theft. Then you have the problem of cutting it up for storage & drying. I suppose you could stash a load on the roof with a net over it, a bit like canal boats do, but it is a bummer to climb the roof in the dark & wet when you need a couple more logs in the night.

Woodburners are a romantic idea, but the reality is graft & mess to achieve the toasty warmth.

had a wood stove at home for a few years, never bought any wood yet, can't understand it when people say they can't get wood without paying for it, so long as you're prepared to put the work in there is plenty, cleared 2 skips already this year (with the owners permission). In the van we would still keep the heater, and twigs/small branches soon dry when they've been down a while. Thanks for the link N8rbos, I will have a look.

although I admit it takes more than a couple of twigs to keep warm,you don't have to tow a trailer full of seasoned logs either. we never had a problem finding enough wood and you only need to store enough for a night or two. collecting wood is just another wildcamping-specific chore,no big deal ! and it may be a bit messy but it's free,which may be important to some,also you can burn old books,shoes,pine cones etc,and a length of 4x2 will keep you warm all night !

Got one in mine.. from an old Canel boat bolted down through the floor (through the marble hearth too).. has plenty of air gap around the stove (5" at least) doesn't move much and best thing I did :D

insurance... erm.. who to know as they insured it as a self build doesn't specify that wood burner is not allowed.. I say I have warm air heating, stove doubles up as my cooking with stove top and oven :D

All the best.

I saw this portable one in use by a British camper. He was cooking on it on the beach.

Truly Portable Wood Burning Stove

It is packed away in a bag to carry it.

We are considering one for when we are in the lakes.

John

I saw this portable one in use by a British camper. He was cooking on it on the beach.

Truly Portable Wood Burning Stove

It is packed away in a bag to carry it.

We are considering one for when we are in the lakes.

John

Yes saw this one, very versatile, but the legs are quite far apart for in a van without having to adapt it, if I remember rightly also has a water boiler that attaches. I was thinking more of a small pot bellied stove, which with the flue gives just enough room on top for a small kettle/pan. ( We do most of our cooking on the woodburner at home), nothing like it.:tongue:

I've seen a few Calor Gas bottles DIY adapted for use as M/H woodburners, so if you're handy with a welder and angle grinder.......Definitely pays to make certain the bottle is absolutely empty prior to working on it!! Also the bottle remains the property of Calor Gas!!

I would have liked to have had one of those in my coach but the wife wasnt keen on the idea i would make sure that i had a pro install it though,these things need to be done properly,but i have been told by someone whom owns one that they have been toasty and warm this winter and it was the best thing he had brought.

gas bottle burner

PD_0020.jpg here's one I made for my daughter's van. as you can see I found a brass bed end and couldn't resist adding a bit of bling

Lovely but i am worried about those cylinders being out in the hot sun,not very health and safety is it lol,i wonder what the people at cosh would say:mad2: hee hee

I've seen a lot of the gas bottle stoves, but wouldn't fancy DIY, and I think a professional conversion would be the way to go, so long as the insurance co. gave the go ahead, wouldn't bother otherwise.

Brings back memories

Made and fitted a solid fuel stove into a 16ft Caravan, bolted through the floor,tiled base and wall-up to 4ft high. Had a flat,removeable filling plate
so as to enable a kettle or saucepan to sit on top. This was in the days when we went walking in the Lake District, Borrowdale area mainly.
On setting off for a days walk, we put a saucepan of stew on the hob, set the air control to "Min",(oh yes we had all the up to date controls),
and set off. Hours later we staggered back to a warm caravan and a pot full of hot stew, feeding our faces in next to no time.
Insurance? It never crossed my mind!
With this van we camped in the Lakes in every month of the year, broke ice on the Becks for water.Diamond Kit Car.jpg

If I have handled this laptop correctly you should see the van and the Diamond Kit Car that I built.

Bish

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back