Winter driving

mariesnowgoose

I never knew this...

"Other winter driving techniques involve individual driving habits such as going easy on the pedals, as any strong acceleration or braking burns more fuel.

Go.Compare even suggests that drivers should refuel when it’s cool. Fuel is dense when it’s cooler and less dense when the temperature rises.

Fuel pumps only measure the volume of fuel, not the density, so if a driver refuels later in the day when it’s warmer, the gallon they’ve put in their tank might not be a full gallon after all."

And on a happier note some are predicting that fuel prices may be dropping sharply soon - but I'm not holding my breath! ;)

As with so many things, the science which they have quoted is not exactly correct :(.

Rest assured that a gallon is a gallon whether measured in the depths of winter or a scorching hot summer's day; pumps are checked regularly to ensure they dispense accurate volumes.
HOWEVER, the thing which provides energy for our vehicles is breaking the chemical bonds between the hydrogen and carbon atoms in the molecules of the hydrocarbons. The more bonds that you can buy for your £1, the better off you will be. It is the atoms which contribute to the weight (more strictly mass) of the fuel.
When it is cold you will get a greater mass from your gallon of fuel, because the density is higher.

Gordon

(The techniques used by oil companies to ensure they pay the correct tax on crude oil as it comes out of the north sea is fascinating: they pay for the mass of oil but measure the volume flow-rate whilst simultaneously recording the density in a manner similar to how astronauts are "weighed" while weightless.)

Screenshot_20221212_124235_Facebook.jpg

I never knew this...

"Other winter driving techniques involve individual driving habits such as going easy on the pedals, as any strong acceleration or braking burns more fuel.

Go.Compare even suggests that drivers should refuel when it’s cool. Fuel is dense when it’s cooler and less dense when the temperature rises.

Fuel pumps only measure the volume of fuel, not the density, so if a driver refuels later in the day when it’s warmer, the gallon they’ve put in their tank might not be a full gallon after all."

And on a happier note some are predicting that fuel prices may be dropping sharply soon - but I'm not holding my breath! ;)
Today.

Petrol, Asda Metrocentre £1.45 Costco Metrocentre £1.35 (queue about 300 metres long) :(

As with so many things, the science which they have quoted is not exactly correct :(.

Rest assured that a gallon is a gallon whether measured in the depths of winter or a scorching hot summer's day; pumps are checked regularly to ensure they dispense accurate volumes.
HOWEVER, the thing which provides energy for our vehicles is breaking the chemical bonds between the hydrogen and carbon atoms in the molecules of the hydrocarbons. The more bonds that you can buy for your £1, the better off you will be. It is the atoms which contribute to the weight (more strictly mass) of the fuel.
When it is cold you will get a greater mass from your gallon of fuel, because the density is higher.

Gordon

(The techniques used by oil companies to ensure they pay the correct tax on crude oil as it comes out of the north sea is fascinating: they pay for the mass of oil but measure the volume flow-rate whilst simultaneously recording the density in a manner similar to how astronauts are "weighed" while weightless.)
I'm so glad when younger I could carry stuff. My understanding of this is when it's cold things get smaller.

I was more an Opel man Trev, I ran an Ascona 400 (for a short time tbh) I wrecked it and couldnt afford to continue.

Should have stayed with my RS1800 and more importantly my old navigator, theres a world of difference between flat left into brow and k left over brow

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 21.01.01.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 21.01.01.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
I've just done a round trip from Jedburgh to Perthshire caravans some 200 miles. Warmest temperature was -3. Coldest was minus 12.C The roads were littered with cars pulled over to clean windscreens as the screenwash was frozen. At the services they were rapidly selling out of pre diluted flagons. Frankly they were wasting their money on them as the windchill was ferocious. Our car was on 100% -20 screenwash and the jets refused to squirt despite warm water and also deicer. A truly hellish journey especially in the sun.

We did it was it was our opportunity to go and collect our repaired vehicle.

B2

I've just done a round trip from Jedburgh to Perthshire caravans some 200 miles. Warmest temperature was -3. Coldest was minus 12.C The roads were littered with cars pulled over to clean windscreens as the screenwash was frozen. At the services they were rapidly selling out of pre diluted flagons. Frankly they were wasting their money on them as the windchill was ferocious. Our car was on 100% -20 screenwash and the jets refused to squirt despite warm water and also deicer. A truly hellish journey especially in the sun.

We did it was it was our opportunity to go and collect our repaired vehicle.

B2
I believe that warm water will freeze faster than cold water will.
I also believe that this is one of the facts that science cannot explain.

Waiting to be shot down in flames.......

I believe that warm water will freeze faster than cold water will.
I also believe that this is one of the facts that science cannot explain.

Waiting to be shot down in flames.......

I posted about that once on here and Wintonian told me not to be ridiculous. No apology when I posted a link to prove it though. David didn't very often do apologies. 😄

I thought it was something to do with warm water being less dense than cold but I never understood that at some point in the experiment warm water will cool to the same as the cold anyway so therefore should be slower?? :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back